Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Noctua website suggests there 2 ways to use NH-D14 with Corsair Dominator ram with fins.

1. Move the NH-D14 fan up and leave the fins on the ram
2. Take fins off one of the sticks and leave the fan the way it is

Would moving the fan on the NH-D14 heatsink screw up the airflow and affect the temps when overclocking?

Would taking off the fins off the RAM stick cause it to overheat or is not that big of a deal.an

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubashka View Post
As Noctua website suggests there 2 ways to use NH-D14 with Corsair Dominator ram with fins.

1. Move the NH-D14 fan up and leave the fins on the ram
2. Take fins off one of the sticks and leave the fan the way it is

Would moving the fan on the NH-D14 heatsink screw up the airflow and affect the temps when overclocking?

Would taking off the fins off the RAM stick cause it to overheat or is not that big of a deal.an

Thanks,
i dont think that taking off the fin would matter that much, it will just be a bit warmer, there is air rushing past it to get to the heatsink anyway so there is constant sucking off of the warmer air it produces

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
This is the exact reason why I returned my NH-D14 for an H50. Moving the side fan up so that it wont hit the RAM heat spreaders will effect your temperatures but I think it will be fairly minimal. You may also have trouble fitting your case's side door with the fan as well but not sure about the 932; it may be wide enough.

Have you considered moving one of your RAM sticks?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
its not going to effect your temps. your talking a cm or two IF that. this heatsink has so much surface area 1-3 cm isnt going to make any difference. dont forget that the middle fan covers the entire spread of the heatsink so those couple cm ur missing with the one fan, the middle fan is still pulling air through it. and just to prove my point, i will move my fan up 2 cm and record the temps and get back to you. but i seriously doubt there is going to be any difference.

edit: the 932 will give you plenty of room. i have a 922 and there is a good 1-2 inches between the top of the heatsink and my side panel

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceInChains
View Post

its not going to effect your temps. your talking a cm or two IF that. this heatsink has so much surface area 1-3 cm isnt going to make any difference. dont forget that the middle fan covers the entire spread of the heatsink so those couple cm ur missing with the one fan, the middle fan is still pulling air through it. and just to prove my point, i will move my fan up 2 cm and record the temps and get back to you. but i seriously doubt there is going to be any difference.

edit: the 932 will give you plenty of room. i have a 922 and there is a good 1-2 inches between the top of the heatsink and my side panel

ok great; let me know what you find plz.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
If you're absolutely wedded to a full rack of four inch tall RAM heatsinks, just put your P12 on the back end of your D14 for a nofan>center>pull configuration. Twin stack coolers are nothing if not flexible, and this is the most flexible of them all.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
If you're absolutely wedded to a full rack of four inch tall RAM heatsinks, just put your P12 on the back end of your D14 for a nofan>center>pull configuration. Twin stack coolers are nothing if not flexible, and this is the most flexible of them all.
thats a great idea. i dont see why that would cause any temp changes either.

also i moved my fan up, and i didnt notice any changes in temp. im idling at around 35c and full load between 72 and 74 c. no changes.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTechRex View Post
this is why i'm afraid of buying an aftermarket cooler. THEY ARE SO BIG

good luck man.
Are you kidding me? (Rhetorical)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts