Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nibbler Club

So I figured it's time for a club dedicated to the nibbler. Anyone with a nibbler tool is welcome to join, compressed air powered nibblers welcome too.

To Join:
Just PM me or post here and I will add you! Also please feel free to post pictures of your works with the nibbler!

Types of Nibblers
So there are a few different nibblers out there.

There is the Klein Nibbler Tool
nibbler-cutting-tool.jpg

These are highly recommended as they are good quality and are very efficient. Perhaps other owners can supply some pictures and or comments and reviews.

There is the Nickel Plated Nibbling Tool
31zmLWPh-uL.jpg

I personally own this nibbler because it was cheap and there are many places to get it. It is pretty effective as far as cutting metal, however sometimes if pressed at a wrong angle, the piece of metal that has been cut sometimes gets lodged in between the nibbling part and the handle, and takes a screwdriver or something to pop it out, not a big deal but sometimes can be annoying

Members
chinesethunda
ehume
matrix2000x2
justanewguy
pcguru000
samwiches
BababooeyHTJ
Geneo
Speshy

Code:

Code:
[center][b][URL=http://www.overclock.net/t/1213036/nibbler-club-all-nibblers-welcome]:rolleyes: Nibbler Club - All Nibblers Welcome! :rolleyes:[/URL][/b][/center]

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Oh, I thought this would be dedicated to the Nibbler of Futurama.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post

Oh, I thought this would be dedicated to the Nibbler of Futurama.
Lol, I knew that was going to happen.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
3 members... HAHA in anyCASE I'll be removing my rear exhaust grill in my R3
smile.gif
Props to solsamurai for bringing me here

Any idea if my fractal r3's rear exhaust grill might to be too thick for the cheap nibbler? $25 = half of a dremel on sale right now...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was actually thinking of getting one the other day but I had no clue what it was for (I thought wire). The only time I used anything like this was three years ago I needed to fit a gfx card inside my case and the hdd tray got in the way and myself never doing anything like this thought *** do I do... why I grab something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9Y2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=montsilvasse-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B00004R9Y2 and went at it
wink.gif
plus a trusty vice grip thing... I really had no clue what I was doing

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol wow thats rediculous, how did you cut it out? that seems like it would just wreck the case

Also FlashFir, it should be able to cut your case just fine, my Phantom's metal was super thick too, it wore through a bunch of dremel blades and in the end I just used the nibbler to cut it down and then just sand it

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanewguy View Post

seriously guys, cut your rear mesh out.
its like asking someone if its darker at night. the amount of air coming out feels like twice as much and drops temps.
it is totally worth it!
probably going to remove the other mesh either
here is how my haf-x rear looks like now.
added you, I have 2 rigs sitting on my dresser next to me desk and I see both rears lol, but nevertheless the amount of performance that I gain outweighs it

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Well! Couldn't let this pass by. Thanks for starting it in the Air Cooling section so I could see it. Isn't there a way of putting a shortcut or other kind of link so the thread can show up both here and in the Case Modding section?

Nibbler and friends:

Nibbler and friends 003.png

Note the anvil lopper I got from my garage (I must love you guys; it's blessed COLD out there). The guy that installed our new tree (hmm; I guess planted is the right word) says loppers are no good. He says those shears are better. I agree with him. You can see I've used both enough to know which is better.

That timer is at least 30 years old. Maybe older. My dad gave it to me, long ago. Behind it is a fan I pulled from a defunct dehumidifier. The fan is still good. And a steel ruler to give a scale to it all.

Nibbler and friends 004.png

Klein Nibbler in front. Spare blade behind. Behind that is the side cutter I used before someone turned me on to the nibbler.

And here I removed the slot pillars with my nibbler:

No more pillars.png

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda View Post

lol wow thats rediculous, how did you cut it out? that seems like it would just wreck the case
Also FlashFir, it should be able to cut your case just fine, my Phantom's metal was super thick too, it wore through a bunch of dremel blades and in the end I just used the nibbler to cut it down and then just sand it
I used a lot of gripping power to get it to bite the metal, then took those vice clamps or w.e and put it to 90 degrees. Then I took the other clamp like things similar those generic wire strippers (those old scissor like things) but with the groved teeth and applied pressure until it was flat. The process was overall easy and I managed to do it quickly and it looked nice too. It was a lot cleaner than the dremel attempts I've had this year... Would I do it again? If I didn't need to completely remove it sure, do the nibblers work better? If they do I'm sure as hell using those instead because my method was horrible... but considering I know nothing about tools now and even less then ... not bad.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts