Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
I think both the DS and PSP are too big. It's good that they are shrinking the DS, I expected it to happen. Nintendo always does that: the GBA SP was so much smaller than the original (plus it had a backlight) that I had to get it, even though my original wasn't really that old.

Unfortunately, the PSP probably can't shrink without shrinking the size of the screen. The DS has an advantage here, IMHO.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Wow, how many freekin Gameboys are they going to make?!?!?

·
I TeK things...
17,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy

1,987,002......thats how many

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I kinda liked the 'bulkyness' of the old DS, harder to break

BTW how do I turn it on? Don't see an ON button...

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy

The Nintendo DS is totally different from a gameboy, given it does play Gameboy games though. The Nintendo DS is 64-bit, unlike the 32-bit GBA, and the Nintendo DS also has much smaller cartidges and has well, 2 screens. There are some differences..

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
SWEET, i could get that one. My sister broke mine and i am devastated, crying. But if that isnt too much i want one.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's cool. After playing both the DS and the PSP though, I have to say neither of them feel comfortable in my hands. I didn't like either. The PSP especially made my thumbs hurt, not at the tip, but where they meet my hand. I was disappointed.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StepsAscend

It's cool. After playing both the DS and the PSP though, I have to say neither of them feel comfortable in my hands. I didn't like either. The PSP especially made my thumbs hurt, not at the tip, but where they meet my hand. I was disappointed.

I find that excessive use of the shoulder buttons on the PSP causes discomfort. I couldn't play Burnout for very long because of that, it was difficult to hold down the accelerator (right shoulder) for the entire race and still maintain control.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nintendo has some really predictable marketing ploys, honestly. It's good to have console remakes, but Nintendo does it pretty often for their consoles. There were tons of original Gameboys like Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Pocket, etc. I was not surprised that they did the same for the Gameboy Advance, and the DSlite is just continuing their free publicity.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearbox

Nintendo has some really predictable marketing ploys, honestly. It's good to have console remakes, but Nintendo does it pretty often for their consoles. There were tons of original Gameboys like Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Pocket, etc. I was not surprised that they did the same for the Gameboy Advance, and the DSlite is just continuing their free publicity.

Miniaturization is nothing new, nor is it a marketing play specific to Nintendo. It's been going on for as long as there has been electronics, from every company that makes electronics. TVs, radios, cassette players, CD players, VCRs, DVD players, iPods, even the PS2...everything starts big and gets smaller over time as the engineers figure out how to do it.

What would be odd is if Nintendo did not miniaturize the original version of all three GameBoys, they are all arguably too big to be very portable in my mind. The only questionable addition to me is the GB Micro, because the GBA SP is a fantastic design IMHO.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearbox

And they are good "marketing ploys". I mean, when your company makes a profit off of every console, every handheld, every game sold youve GOT to be doing something right compared to say another company or 2 who didnt make a dime..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tend to not think of it as a marketing ploy, but, as Vulcan implied, a nature progression and improvement of a product. Take the original Xbox controller: it was big...really big... so they made the S controller which really caught on, so with the XBox 360, what style did they use? The S style.

Even if people don't want to buy a new DS, there are those who will buy it just because they want a DS in general and if it turns out that the changes are really good, I would imagine that similar design aspects will be used in new gameboys and DS thus making future product better. That's all it is really about, making products better. (On a side note I would probably buy a new one just in spite of that fact that I can have 2 DS's for the price of 1 PSP
)

·
Registered
994 Posts
This pretty much sums up Nintendo's marketing

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
While funny, I don't think that's representative of Nintendo, at least no more than any other hardware maker, anyway. It seems more like a PC to me.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon

While funny, I don't think that's representative of Nintendo, at least no more than any other hardware maker, anyway. It seems more like a PC to me.

Yeah.. Exactly. I dont see how it even relates to Nintendo, or Nintendo's Marketing strategy. Oh and in other news the PSP is getting a rip off of Nintendog! Sony at its best.. Again.. How many things has it relabled and ripped off now? See something good so they just gotta take it..

·
Registered
994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

Yeah.. Exactly. I dont see how it even relates to Nintendo, or Nintendo's Marketing strategy. Oh and in other news the PSP is getting a rip off of Nintendog! Sony at its best.. Again.. How many things has it relabled and ripped off now? See something good so they just gotta take it..

Well as for how it relates to Nintendo, the game Crystal Chronicles or something offered a multiplayer feature. But to be able to play it on the game cube you had to own 4 seperate gameboys, then along with that each person needed to own the game as well. And then since the game was so large it needed an extra large memory pack.

So the 3 seperate little carts refer to the seperate games and gameboys you would hook up to the gamecube, instead of using controllers. and the big wheel he talks about in the end refers to the large memory card.

None of this was in a bundle and each had to be bought seperately.. So thats what that comic is basically refering too. But yeah.. every company has its gimmicks for the consumers to buy more. Its just that Nintendo has 5 different versions of every generation of handhelds they make.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts