Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 403 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you Maximum PC Magazine for recognizing it as #112 out of the "250 Most Important Events of 2008"

What is Folding?

In the most basic of terms, Folding at Home is the mimicking and logging of the way a Protein Folds. A Protein that MIS-FOLDS produces an ab-normal cell which in turn can lead to a cancerous cell. Learning how a Protein SHOULD fold will lead us to understanding to how it MIS-FOLDS. Hence, Folding at Home.

Here is a link to Stanfords Main Page for more info. http://folding.stanford.edu/

Why I fold?

Cancer has had a big influence on my family, and folding is where I feel I can fight back.

I fight cancer on two fronts, my business and folding.

I own a Home Care Business where I send nurses to homes to care for the elderly AT THEIR homes. One aspect of my business is we take care of Chemo-Therapy patients at home also. We take care of their ailments while on Chemo.

In Miami, my parents own a Hospice Staffing Company, where they send Nurses to take care of patients on their last months of life. Those deemed to have less than 6 months to live.

This is where I get my passion for Folding from. Seeing/hearing/talking and interacting with people who suffer from all these diseases makes you want to do something about it.

How can I fold too?

Join us in fighting Cancer when you are surfing the internet, Download the program at:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

Here is a thread about why members of our Team Fold also:
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...al-i-fold.html

3/1/09 UPDATE

I actually finished the [email protected] Server Rack Farm on around early September 2008. Then Hurricane Ike hit, damaging our building. Since September my farm has been in storage as management repairs the office building. We are still in the process of moving back, but the farm is pretty much online...here is the story.

February 2009

I am in the process of retooling the entire Farm. My goal is to house 30 of 9800GX2s in the Server Rack.

Testing 3x 9800GX2s on a P6N Diamond + 850w PSU:

PICs of the Dummy Plugs I use, I love the fact that the Resistors are COVERED.
Courtesy of Torin3 of OCF (PM Him @ OCF):

Here is a K9A2 Platinum with an AMD 5000+Brisbane powering 3x 9800GX2s installed:

Here are two K9A2s with 3x 9800GX2s installed, 60k PPD for both:

January 2009

Moved back to the office and I knew I would have casualties from the move.

2 PSUs Dead, so I used my beefier (BFG 800w) backups:

1 HD Dead, here I am re-installing on a new HD:

1 P6N Diamond Dead, on Rig#1 (thats why Top of Rack is empty.) Here I am trying to replace it. Unfortunately, backup P6N was DEAD also:

Here is the new Farm:
(Minus Rig#1)

10 case Server Rack:

Monitor with 8 KVM Switch + 2 rigs on the Floor (I have a 4 KVM Switch setup not pictured but is in the video) Total of 12 rigs.

Still Managing Cables:

The all important Portable AC to help with temps:

Still have PNY 8800GTs to install:

Another pic of the Rack:

August 2008

Testing the Server Cases for clearance and air flow:

Testing the Rack + Rack mounts:

Marking where to install the Rack Mounts on the Rack:

Installing the Rack Mounts:

A Video so you can hear how LOUD it is:

The Original Farm:
Here are pics of the "farm" part of my folding farm.

Sorry they are not as cable friendly as I wanted them. When I have time I will cable manage better:

Lots of boxes (not all of them)

The Command Center.

Top Half of the shelf with 5 Rigs of 20 GPUs

Bottom Half of the shelf with 3 rigs of 12 GPUs

Closeup of Rig #1, 4x Gigabyte 8800GT 256mb / P6N-Diamond

Closeup of Rig #2, 4x MSI 8800GT 512mb / P6N-Diamond

Closeup of Rig #3, 4x Asus 8800GT 512mb / P6N-Diamond

Top 3 rigs into 1 HD Cage

(Middle Shelf) Rig #4, 4x eVGA 8800GS / P6N Diamond

(Middle Shelf) Rig #5, 4x eVGA 8800GS / P6N Diamond

Closeup of Rig #6 (#7, #8 are exactly the same) 4x eVGA 8800GS / P6N Diamond

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
HOLY MOTHER MOO MOO'S. Thats a nice setup lol. Nice one dude.

Bet it cant run Crysis though...Ok im sorry I had to say it.

FOLD away mate !
All of the systems combined, maybe

but can it blend is the real question

I am jealous of your rigs/farm/foldinghouse

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
Was all of this paid for by selling your old C2Q farm?

How much extra PPD are ya gettin so far?
The sale of the C2Q helped, but I put up MORE money to get this farm...this farm is going to be about 80K higher with less rigs than the previous one.

Quote:

Bet it cant run Crysis though...Ok im sorry I had to say it.
I am gonna have to ask Gibby to BAN you from the folding forum for that.

·
Administrator
64,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitteo View Post
The sale of the C2Q helped, but I put up MORE money to get this farm...this farm is going to be about 80K higher with less rigs than the previous one.

I am gonna have to ask Gibby to BAN you from the folding forum for that.

Lmao...Good luck to that...Im teh overlord !. Giby is nothing than a servant to me muhahahah

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Wow, extremely impressive Nitteo. Thank you for sharing, I'm sure alot of us 'noob' folders can share a collective
over that,lol.

I'm with Girface, how effective are the GPU's over the CPU as far as price and PPD?

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
Quote:

Lmao...Good luck to that...Im teh overlord !. Giby is nothing than a servant to me muhahahah

Leave it up to me

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo_man View Post
I'm with Girface, how effective are the GPU's over the CPU as far as price and PPD?
As for CPU vs GPU. A 8800GS @ $100($70 w/ a $30rebate) is 4.5K PPD vs a C2Q Q6600 G0 (used $150) with 2x SMP @ 3K PPD.

The only problem is that GPUs longevity is shorter than the CPUs in terms of the next generation. In 6 months there will be a cheaper/faster/more powerful GPU...

Then there is still ATI...

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Quote:

As for CPU vs GPU. A 8800GS @ $100($70 w/ a $30rebate) is 4.5K PPD vs a C2Q Q6600 G0 (used $150) with 2x SMP @ 3K PPD.

The only problem is that GPUs longevity is shorter than the CPUs in terms of the next generation. In 6 months their will be a cheaper/faster GPU...

I see. Thanks for the reply man. They are a bit more cost effective eh

·
Administrator
64,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
Leave it up to me

Ill smack you down too FOOL. You cant Infract me...However I see two very temping cards in your profile still. LAWL pwned.

Anyway. Very impressive Nitteo. If you dont mind me asking..how much did that set you back mate ?...or atleast so far.

And how many copies of Vista have you got lol..or Xp ETC

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Anyway. Very impressive Nitteo. If you dont mind me asking..how much did that set you back mate ?...or atleast so far.
Lets just say ALOT! Just the GPUS alone... avg price $125 x 51.

Quote:

And how many copies of Vista have you got lol..or Xp ETC
I bought a few copies when I had my Quads. Vista is great for folding with multi-GPU, my e2180s are only using 18% tops each for each GPU client.

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Quote:

Lets just say ALOT! Just the GPUS alone... avg price $125 x 51.

I bought a few copies when I had my Quads. Vista is great for folding with multi-GPU, my e2180s are only using 18% tops each for each GPU client.
*Does the math* 51 times 125.....carry the 5......add.....
GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY! LOL

Nitteo, if I may be so bold (read: nosey
) what is your occupation to supply such a generous hobby?

And fwiw, that's a real inspiration. To spend this amount of one's time and money to help faceless others.

·
Administrator
64,479 Posts
Wow...seems you have the cash to splash. Atleast its done for a good cause,

Yeah Vista does seem awesome for Folding!. I am surprised you have enough licenses. Guess you have a few Retail copies then.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Damn... Thats beastly.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Nitteo, if I may be so bold (read: nosey
) what is your occupation to supply such a generous hobby?
I fight cancer on two fronts, my business and folding.

I own a Home Care Business where I send nurses to homes to care for the elderly AT THEIR homes. One aspect of my business is we take care of Chemo-Therapy patients at home also. We take care of their ailments while on Chemo.

In Miami, my parents own a Hospice Company, where they send Nurses to take care of patients on their last months of life. Those deemed to have less than 6 months to live.

This is where I get my passion for Folding from. Seeing/hearing/talking and interacting with people who suffer from all these diseases makes you want to do something about it.

Quote:

And fwiw, that's a real inspiration. To spend this amount of one's time and money to help faceless others.

Thanks man, I do hope to get [email protected] more exposure here in OCN. I truly believe that OCN has a great member base that is UNTAPPED for folding. That is why I came back here. We have the potential to be the #1 Team IN THE WORLD.

·
Administrator
64,479 Posts
Yeah if we can make Folding more of a big thing it could REALLY help out in the cause.

I myself have Huntintons Disease which has no specific treatment for and im hoping your efforts and many others here on OCN will help to speed up the research...that may later save my life...Only time will tell

But you are truley inspirational Dude. I will follow this closely.

Fold for OCN Team 37726 !

1 - 20 of 403 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.