Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I am working on my hacking skills. (Strictly knowledge purposes on my own server that is sitting right beside me).

Anyways I am trying to scan ports with nmap. I use the command:

Code:

Code:
nmap -v -sP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(x = ip)

I get nothing in the output window then I look at the scans tab and it says "failed". I have tried the default scan profiles with the same results.

Any ideas why its failing? I am running Windows 2000 on the computer I am using nmap with. Maybe compatibility issues?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Get a Linux distro (like Backtrack -- it runs from a CD or USB).

Nmap was originally coded for UNIX and the M$ version is an ugly hack, mainly because the NT kernel has issues with RAW sockets (which you have to have for some of the scans). You can thank Steve Gibson at GRC for this. He bugged M$ until they took raw sockets out of the kernel (Gibson claimed it would bring the internet down if the kiddies had access to raw sockets, which is ludicrous). I think this was only an issue with XP onward, but still it sucks. Fyodor (nmap creator) found a way around this, but it still is a hack.

When I scan, I usually do something like this:

Code:

Code:
nmap -sT -sU -p- -sV -O -vv 192.168.1.1
-sT = TCP Connect scan
-sU = UDP scan
-p- = ports. In this instance -p- will scan all possible (65535) ports
-sV = if a port is open, this command will attempt to find out what version the service/daemon is so that it can be exploited
-O = this command tries to determine the OS
-vv = verbose mode

Be warned, if you are behind a firewall that silently drops connect attempts, then scanning all 65535 ports will take many hours.
LL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts