Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had this problem with my U-Verse internet with certain flash apps. I find out the problem is with the 2Wire modem timing out on packets. ATT tells me that I shouldn't use any other router, quoting "This 2Wire has everything our residential customers need". Really, this is not cool, why should I have to be forced to use only their equipment? At least with Comcast, I still would've been able to use my Netgear. Anyone had success bridging to any of their routers, and if so, which routers were you using?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Ask them if you can use your own modem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Ask them if you can use your own modem.

I don't have another modem, all I have is that 2Wire

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader
View Post

exactly what problems are you having and does using the modem by itself magically solver your problems?

When I switch DMZ+ from the 2Wire to the Netgear, the Netgear stats say that it has an external IP address, ex 99.68.142.12. Everything else is left the same, however the 2Wire is still accessible by 192.168.1.254, and I didn't see an option to turn off DHCP. It worked for a couple of days, but then I noticed problems. Certain flash apps would not load, yet I could go to youtube and that. Also, my ping in many games was 3 times what it normally should be. So I did a traceroute, and found that there are at least three points where the connection timed out, so it would go to the IP address that the 2Wire had, and then time out trying to go over the internet. I tried switching my DNS servers, but that no effect. Finally, I just rest the 2Wire, and directly connected to that, and vola, ping and flash came back. But I still see two points in traceroute where it times out. I have a funny feeling that it has something to do with ATT's DNS servers.

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
I had to go through this with them, it's actually fairly simple to use your own router.

Leave DHCP on on the 2wire. Turn it OFF on your netgear.

Then, take the ethernet cable that runs into your netgear and plug it into a regular ethernet port! DO NOT use the internet port!

This is what worked for me. I had called them and called them... doing the whole thing, even had the 2 wire thing replaced twice.

What it comes down to is the wireless function of the 2wire unit they use is just fubar. Give this a shot!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just switched my DNS settings to Open DNS servers, and that helped a bit. However, after the packets leave my network, and go to the first server, they time out bad, and it takes three attempts before it continues on. Should I post a screenshot of one of my traceroute output?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Well after the tech came out, he moved my line from some interference, and actually got my Netgear running, and now me happy. But the tracert issue still exists, but now my network's been cleared. It seems the local U-Verse station is the cause of my latency. Will report on whether ATT fixes this, but I will say this, I believe this affects every U-Verse in Southeast Michigan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts