Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be building in a Fractal Design Define Mini TG. It comes with a few fans that I'm ditching to use two 140mm Noctua PWM fans as front intakes.

My CPU cooler will have two Noctuas in push/pull, which will point directly at the back of the case, which has about a 3/16" octagon 'mesh' in almost the whole rear face. Where the rear exhaust fan sits, it's going to be basically right up against the exhaust fan from the CPU cooler, off-center from it, and I'm concerned that they will be fighting each other and have odd airflow.

Am I good to just let the air push itself out through the back of the case? I'm planning on keeping the shroud on the top of the case and not placing any fans up there.

Thinking it through, the two 140mm intakes should just put enough positive pressure into the case that it will escape all on its own out the back (and anywhere else it can). My video card will not have a blower-style cooler, so it will not act as an exhaust. I can possibly invert the power supply to pull air from the case and exhaust it somewhat, but that plus another 120mm Noctua fan that might fight with my CPU cooler is all the exhaust I will be able to get. It seems like ineffective exhausts blocking where it could be escaping on its own is going to give me a worse result than letting the case exhaust itself naturally due to the high positive pressure from the intake fans. In my head, it makes more sense to remove resistance altogether from letting the air naturally escape through the back 'mesh.'

Thoughts?

For reference, the build will be running a Ryzen 5 1600, to be upgraded to a Ryzen 7 2700x later, and an 8gb RX 580 initially, neither of which I will overclock (apart from setting a sync all cores OC).

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I'd just install the exhaust fan outside of the case and cut out the hexagonal mesh (which I would do anyway).

I tried for a while running my PSU in exactly the way you propose -- at the bottom of the case w/the intake oriented inside the case. The big hassle associated w/this orientation is that if you drop any screws or nuts or bolts they seem to always end up falling into the PSU.

Some people have suggested making the top, rear wall exhaust fan into an intake and reversing the flow through your air cooler to match.

If you have a big Noctua DH-15 I don't think I'd worry much about CPU temps.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,816 Posts
I've got 4 intakes and 0 exhaust fans on my P400S. Works more than fine.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I've got 4 intakes and 0 exhaust fans on my P400S. Works more than fine.
Similar here.
2x 140s in front and one in the top and bottom under the GPU. I removed the PCIE slots for more air to slip past the GPU and my CPU cooler is aimed at the back of the case.
My rig runs very quiet with great temps. If I turn all the fans up you can feel the entire back of my case pushing out air.

·
Premium Member
27,121 Posts
Going to be building in a Fractal Design Define Mini TG. It comes with a few fans that I'm ditching to use two 140mm Noctua PWM fans as front intakes.

My CPU cooler will have two Noctuas in push/pull, which will point directly at the back of the case, which has about a 3/16" octagon 'mesh' in almost the whole rear face. Where the rear exhaust fan sits, it's going to be basically right up against the exhaust fan from the CPU cooler, off-center from it, and I'm concerned that they will be fighting each other and have odd airflow.

Am I good to just let the air push itself out through the back of the case? I'm planning on keeping the shroud on the top of the case and not placing any fans up there.

Thinking it through, the two 140mm intakes should just put enough positive pressure into the case that it will escape all on its own out the back (and anywhere else it can). My video card will not have a blower-style cooler, so it will not act as an exhaust. I can possibly invert the power supply to pull air from the case and exhaust it somewhat, but that plus another 120mm Noctua fan that might fight with my CPU cooler is all the exhaust I will be able to get. It seems like ineffective exhausts blocking where it could be escaping on its own is going to give me a worse result than letting the case exhaust itself naturally due to the high positive pressure from the intake fans. In my head, it makes more sense to remove resistance altogether from letting the air naturally escape through the back 'mesh.'

Thoughts?

For reference, the build will be running a Ryzen 5 1600, to be upgraded to a Ryzen 7 2700x later, and an 8gb RX 580 initially, neither of which I will overclock (apart from setting a sync all cores OC).
I normally build with front and bottom intakes with top front or both front fans on CPU temp curve and bottom on GPU temp .. sometimes lower front and bottom on GPU temp curve. Of course all PCIe slot covers removed and no exhaust fans. Rarely does that basic setup need to change/modified.

You might find this basic guide to airflow and how to optimize case airflow of interest.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, guys. Good to know I'm not nuts!

And I'm not planning on using a Noctua cooler, just the Noctua fans. The person I'm building for (the kiddo) is pretty dead-set on a black and red themed build, with no AIO's or custom loops. I'm either going to use the Arctic Freezer 33 ESports cooler with Noctua Chromax PWM fans, or just spring the money for the MSI Core Frozr XL cooler (though it's expensive for how noisy it is, and I'd have to spend even more to replace the fans anyway just for the noise, and don't know if other fans would even fit that cooler).

·
Premium Member
27,121 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. Good to know I'm not nuts!

And I'm not planning on using a Noctua cooler, just the Noctua fans. The person I'm building for (the kiddo) is pretty dead-set on a black and red themed build, with no AIO's or custom loops. I'm either going to use the Arctic Freezer 33 ESports cooler with Noctua Chromax PWM fans, or just spring the money for the MSI Core Frozr XL cooler (though it's expensive for how noisy it is, and I'd have to spend even more to replace the fans anyway just for the noise, and don't know if other fans would even fit that cooler).
Nope, you are not nuts. Crazy like a fox maybe, but not nuts. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts