Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Asus P5AD2, P4 3.2 ghz and Leadtek PCIXpress 256 MB card...

I tried varioius overclocking options yesterday upto 3.6 ghz...Worked really well...

4 hours before midnight i turned off overclocking and i played some games at 3.2ghz itself (no overclocking)

Turned the pc on this morning...no video output on the monitor..

Tried reseating the PCI xpress card, cables, no change..

Tried connecting the monitor to another PC and it works --- so nothing wrong with cable or monitor

Tried removing the PCI xpress card and inserted a PCI VGA card...and still the same ...no video output...

I think its either the Processor or motherboard thats causing this...both are brand new stuff out of the box..What else can I do to troubleshoot this problem ?

TIA for your help!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
maybe the bios kinda screwed itself up...reset the cmos. sounds a little wierd it worked yesterday and wont work today....but does the computer turn on?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
that's a bit of a hassle those things. Think about anything you did before you turned it off last night. It's probablty something really simple. I can't really help you on this one. The only time that's happened to me was ehen the cable wasn't connected probably even though it was screwed in. so it boots ay

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

maybe the bios kinda screwed itself up...reset the cmos. sounds a little wierd it worked yesterday and wont work today....but does the computer turn on?

Things that I did yesterday were..

a. I had flashed the BIOS with latest from ASUS website..which was successful...( I had to do this because my CD drive was not getting detected)...After the BIOS update, The CD drive problem was fixed...and this is when I started playing with overclocking options..

b. Evening, I changed it back to "no" overclocking...played some games..shut it down...

I will try clearing CMOS and see if helps!!!!>>>....

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
did you flash it in windows or did you flash it using a floppy....

i know some newer mobos like mine you can flash it in windows which i have never done sense i dont trust XP

if you did flash it from windows i would recomend doing it with a bootable floppy following the instructions from asus's website....

that has to be the culprit if your not getting any beeps then something screwy is going on with your bios... i dont get the beeps anymore since i threw out the lil bastard

·
Registered
276 Posts
About flashing in windoze....
I flash my bios in windows(using a FlashMenu 1.36) and i don't have any problems
...So in this case there's no difference between floppy and xp flashing...
BTW it's an abit mobo and i dunno about asus motherboards...

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Asus has crash free bios so it wouldn't screw up even if he tried to install a video card bios onto it. Anything else you can test. It could be anything. From CD-Drive to PSU. RAM sounds like a possible option. take out your RAM (leave no RAM sticks in) and see if you get anything on your screen then. Do the same with CD-ROM and Hardrive.

Does the computer stay on or does it shut itself off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

Asus has crash free bios so it wouldn't screw up even if he tried to install a video card bios onto it. Anything else you can test. It could be anything. From CD-Drive to PSU. RAM sounds like a possible option. take out your RAM (leave no RAM sticks in) and see if you get anything on your screen then. Do the same with CD-ROM and Hardrive.

Does the computer stay on or does it shut itself off.

-----------

Thanks for the reply guys...

I did the flash update using AFUDOS by booting into DOS disk. The update went smooth. But the first time i rebooted after the BIOS update...I did see some junk characters on POST output. That time I rebooted the box once again...and the display was normal after that...

I will take out the RAM and see what happens...I have already disconnected two of my CD drives and one of the hard drives...I will disconnect all of them...and see what happens..

The weird thing is computer does stay on...no beep sounds initially like the other poster suggested...Video card and processor fans are running too...motherboard LED is on....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

did you flash it in windows or did you flash it using a floppy....

i know some newer mobos like mine you can flash it in windows which i have never done sense i dont trust XP

if you did flash it from windows i would recomend doing it with a bootable floppy following the instructions from asus's website....

that has to be the culprit if your not getting any beeps then something screwy is going on with your bios... i dont get the beeps anymore since i threw out the lil bastard

======================================

Reset BIOS (jumpers), tried taking out battery, took out all DRAM chips, disconnected any secondary IDE devices...the PC is now running with the MB and processor and video card....No video output...

I still suspect its the motherboard...probably gonna return this one...I so much loved this MB..though..

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abeautifulmind
======================================

Reset BIOS (jumpers), tried taking out battery, took out all DRAM chips, disconnected any secondary IDE devices...the PC is now running with the MB and processor and video card....No video output...

I still suspect its the motherboard...probably gonna return this one...I so much loved this MB..though..
If that is the outcome, it ounds like it is the vid card or mobo, have you tried another vid card in the same slot?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
If that is the outcome, it ounds like it is the vid card or mobo, have you tried another vid card in the same slot?
To try that I dont have a spare PCI xpress card...these dings are damn expensive....But I tried putting a PCI VGA card on the PCI slot...still same effect...But the PCI card is not working probably because in the BIOS setting I did see a setting which selects PCIXpress card first and then PCI...I dont know if the motherboard will fall back to PCI if there is no PCIXpress card in the slot...

How much I wished Asus had made a motherboard which has AGP and PCIXpress slots....Like ECS has made one....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are you sure that pci-e/pci speeds(MHz) are stock?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hexogenn
Are you sure that pci-e/pci speeds(MHz) are stock?
Yes they are stock. I do have riva tuner but didnt start playing with it to overclock the display card. I had set the PCIXpress slot speeds to Auto (the default) in the motherboard. if that answers your question..

The system was basically running at stock speeds by the end of first day...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have you tried a clear CMOS?

If yes, then try to replace cpu/mobo/hdd with another one to be sure of what's working bad/not working...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

If yes, then try to replace cpu/mobo/hdd with another one to be sure of what's working bad/not working...
yes

jumper 2-3. no change

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

yES i TRIED CLEARING cmos...NO EFFECT...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:

yES i TRIED CLEARING cmos...NO EFFECT...
Then do as i said...Change cpu/mobo (borrow from a friend) and find out what part of your system works bad.

EDIT: make sure you cleared CMOS right:
  • Locate, if possible, the instruction booklet for your motherboard. If you cannot locate the booklet, then user the motherboard references on this site to locate the manufacturer and see if a manual is available there. You may also want to closely examine the motherboard itself.
  • Shut down your computer and disconnect the power plug.
  • Now identify where the jumpers are located, then check the present pin location and the location of the jumper on those pins to determine their default location. As an example, the default location on the above motherboard is to have the jumper across pins #1 and #2. Write it down!
  • Next, move the jumpers from the their default location (Example: from across pins #1 and #2 as above) and then place the jumper across pins #2 and #3.
  • Leave the jumper in place for 20 to 30 seconds and then return it to its default location.
  • Now plug the power cord back in and restart the computer.
  • When the computer begins it's startup (boot) process, tap the DEL, F10 or F1 key, (whichever is appropriate for your computer) to get into the Bios/CMOS setup. If you need more detailed information as to how to get to the Bios/CMOS setup, follow this link. Bios Basics
  • Once into the Bios/CMOS setup, look for a section or area to set the Bios/CMOS to its default settings. This will return the motherboard to either its basic or optimum settings depending upon the motherboard manufacturers settings. You will then need to verify certain settings, such a CPU and memory as well as hard drive type and size recognition. If you need more information regarding these settings, follow either of these links: For an AMI Bios or for an Award Bios.
  • After making any final adjustments, save your settings and restart the computer. The Bios password should be gone and the Bios set to its optimum settings.
Just to be 100% sure

·
Registered
170 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my VGA card. Turned the computer off, went to turn it back on, no display. It worked when I changed my video card to my old one but then when I put my new video card in my old computer it worked as well. I can't figure out what my problem is either.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Quote:

Yes they are stock. I do have riva tuner but didnt start playing with it to overclock the display card. I had set the PCIXpress slot speeds to Auto (the default) in the motherboard. if that answers your question..

The system was basically running at stock speeds by the end of first day...

sometimes when you oc your fbs, the mhz on your pci, agp, ect also go up....thats what sucks about not being able to lock the mhz speed on them. when i got no video on mine, that was the problem and it was fixed by restting coms. I would remove the battery for about a minute or 2 then replace it. if you get no bois boot up when you start up....your mobo or your card is shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts