Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning,
my first question,i have a friend of mine's gateway system. and when it boots up you see a background picture but no icons or start menu or anything,when you click the screen -nothing. buit i can get the task manager to come up and thru the new task(run) i can fin everything on the deaktop and the hard drive but most of them wont open up.i get this message[the SHCreateThredRef could not be found in the swapii.dll libary]and it comes up alot with newdev.dll colud not be found. is this a virus problem or a corrupt windows folder?and is there a way to repair or backup the system thru dos? getting really fustrated with it.i have a copy of windows xp that came with the system,and cant do a repair from the boot frm cd option cause of a admin password,but the owner says he has no passwords on the system.and the owner does not want to do a clean install because of some of the programs(quickbooks,ect.)on the system.i tried to copy them to a cd but then cant access the main program to open them.and also he uses aol for his internet connection and all this started after he ran the aol spyware program.so all the help i can get wold be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
mmm... try the last known good configuration from the WinXP startup menu

If you have a spare HDD, then fit that and you should be able to copy the files you need to that HDD (but this might void the warranty). Then once you have everything, reinstall windows.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried that and no helpbut i have all the programs copied but can he install the original programand drag and drop them from the cd to the program and access them?

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
It depends on the program... so you can run them like that, others won't... it pot luck if they work without installing them...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i guess he may be up a creek, i have found a few things to try. i am going to try the sfc in the dos mode.(sfc/scannow)and see if it will rewrite the files needed.but may have to do a clean install or use a second hard drive and install windows and put the first as a slave drive and let him move what he wants and then do a clean install of the original drive.this has been very interesting and frustrating if i find out what it takes to fix it i will post back with a update.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Try uninstalling AOL from DOS. I would also do some type of virus scan (from DOS if you can't do it in windows). If it all happened when they AOL spy thing was installed i would say it is that. So just uninstall it and see if that works.

Also you could copy the hard drive over to another drive and then install windows fresh on a new drive then transferr all the stuff the guys wants to the new hard drive. OR trans the files from DOS and format and re trans to the fresh OS.

Heres how to scan in DOS with Macafee Virus scan
http://helpdesk.salisbury.edu/virusP...eVirusScan.htm

And Norton (not sure if its any version im seeing alot about corp)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02102115095448

Hope that stuff helps. ill ask around and see if any of my buddies know.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Just a though,
If all of the listed options fail, you can drop his HDD in your PC as a slave, boot into your windows XP(the one that works), and copy all of his needed files to a CD, return his HDD to his PC, then reinstall windows on his HDD and transfer the files from the CD to the HDD.

With that method you bypass his bad OS and salvage his files.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoking man

buit i can get the task manager to come up and thru the new task(run) i can fin everything on the deaktop and the hard drive but most of them wont open up.

did you try putting in "explorer.exe" in the run command?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well to update this thread. the guy took it to another place and i was right, major virus and the hard drive was ate up.(file wise).so they took his xp cd and reformated and did a clean install and saved a few programs and charged him 189.00 (ouch).i had all the files saved on cd and was about to reninstall the os.when he said not to and did not want a reinstall.some people.well i thanks for all the replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts