Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dying for a LED LCD monitor in the 24" size and all I can find is the Viewsonic 22" @ $440 (http://www.buy.com/prod/viewsonic-vl...206887574.html) and the terribly overpriced syncmaster (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Samsung).

What gives?? This technology is not that new. I'm not graduating from CRT land until they can give me a full HD monitor that can truly compete with the speed, overall smoothness, and color of a CRT.

The only hint of a 24" LED LCD was this article from April of '07 stating that Samsung is going to release one "soon." http://www.techshout.com/hardware/20...-samsung-soon/

If someone can link me to a 24" LED LCD that costs less than $650 you get +rep.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
The difference is, instead of flourescent lights to illuminate the screen, it uses LEDs.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Does it really have to be LED LCD?

·
Registered
644 Posts
As was mentioned, the main difference is using LEDs instead of fluorescent lighting as a backlight. The benefits are more accurate colour reproduction, lower energy use, faster performance (not in terms of latency, but in the speed of switching the backlight on, off and cycling through levels) and supposedly less eyestrain. Until LED backlights become common place, many photographers, artists, graphic designers, editors, ect plan to continue using CRT monitors. They may be big, bulky, cause eystrain and take up loads of power, but nothing can match them in terms of colour reproduction, with the exception of LED LCDs.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No monitor out right now will compete with the speed given by a CRT. An LED backlit panel will not improve colors enough nor will it improve the lag times of the monitor. In addition, the technology is so prohibitively expensive right now, no manufacturer has released an affordable display.

Unless, of course, you have a new Macbook, which this one works with.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
EWWW MAC. EWWW.

Nasty.
/mac hating

I really think you don't need an LED LCD, LCDs are fine for most stuff, I love my LCD 17" square way more then my 17" crt square, then there's my 22" but meh, your choice, guess what I'm saying is don't be so picky.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I am not so sure, but the major price difference between the Syncmaster and the Viewsonic is that the Viewsonic uses a row of LEDs to simulate a CCFL tube, while the Syncmaster actually uses a matrix of LEDs for direct back lighting, which is by far the superior solution.

Which are you expecting?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun View Post
I am not so sure, but the major price difference between the Syncmaster and the Viewsonic is that the Viewsonic uses a row of LEDs to simulate a CCFL tube, while the Syncmaster actually uses a matrix of LEDs for direct back lighting, which is by far the superior solution.

Which are you expecting?
Ah ha! good info. I was kinda expecting the matrix of LEDs. The fact that many name brand LCDs ship with uneven backlighting and poor blacks/colors really irks me. I'll have to keep a look out for the difference in the future. Do you think the Viewsonic is still superior to a regular LCD with respect to blacks and colors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by caraboose
Does it really have to be LED LCD?
Why shell out $300 to 500 for a 24" LCD that's already obsolete in terms of overall performance when compared to a CRT or LED LCD? The more I research regular LCDs the more I want to wait for the next evolution. It looks to me based on some of the links above that the electronics companies are milking the old tech for all it's worth before switching to the obviously superior LED backlight.

Not only that, six years ago I had an LCD where the backlight burned out (after being uneven from the start) and the picture quality was terrible, so I'm scarred from that experience.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Six years is a long time for technology to change.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by trexxcrap
View Post

ive serached for like the last 10 minutes for you dude and there is NOTHING but that viewsonic in your price range. but here is this i know its 200 more but its damn nice

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...=MWBgooglebase

Thanks for the effort man. I've come up empty as well. The Apple display uses a "mini display port" so I don't thing that's gonna work with my system. I'm wary of buying apple products to begin with due to QC, but if this could fit the bill i might consider it (in a couple months with a price reduction)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehStone
View Post

Thanks for the effort man. I've come up empty as well. The Apple display uses a "mini display port" so I don't thing that's gonna work with my system. I'm wary of buying apple products to begin with due to QC, but if this could fit the bill i might consider it (in a couple months with a price reduction)

yeah wait for the refurbished or for the next set to come out and it will drop in price! and here is an adapter!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...SHOP%2DFroogle

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
After a goof bit of research I know that the Syncmaster does have the matrix, and I am not sure about the Viewsonic, but by looking at the price and its size (fairly thin) I doubt that it is a matrix. The Apple display has no marketing pushing the matrix, which any self respecting advertiser would milk.

The Viewsonic does boast a broad color gamut, and a good contrast ratio, but it is still a good bit behind the Syncmaster, simply because of the design. But, like anything, you will have to pay for the best, so any Matrix LCD or IPS panel will cost, but a good monitor will last you several hardware generations, unlike a graphics card or a CPU. Your choice.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun
View Post

But, like anything, you will have to pay for the best, so any Matrix LCD or IPS panel will cost, but a good monitor will last you several hardware generations, unlike a graphics card or a CPU. Your choice.

That's the idea here. I want this thing to last several hardware generations... I'm not convinced that my money is well spent on a regular LCD so I guess I'll just have to wait.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 19 of 19 Posts