Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a new rig with a 4690k and MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard. Cooling with an Evo 212.

I've had luck pushing the chip to 4.5ghz at 1.215v and 65c at max load, which I think is pretty good, but I've been trying to get it to 4.6ghz with no luck at all. I was up to 1.24v and not able to get it stable during stress testing for more than a few minutes.

Does this sound typical?

As much as I'd like to push this chip as far as it can go, it seems painful to up the voltage +0.40 or more in an attempt to squeeze out another 100mhz, but I'd really like to have it that high.

Advice or comments? Should I just be satisfied with the results and stay at 4.5ghz for daily use?

·
WaterCooler & Overclocker
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabwound View Post

I built a new rig with a 4690k and MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard. Cooling with an Evo 212.

I've had luck pushing the chip to 4.5ghz at 1.215v and 65c at max load, which I think is pretty good, but I've been trying to get it to 4.6ghz with no luck at all. I was up to 1.24v and not able to get it stable during stress testing for more than a few minutes.

Does this sound typical?

As much as I'd like to push this chip as far as it can go, it seems painful to up the voltage +0.40 or more in an attempt to squeeze out another 100mhz, but I'd really like to have it that high.

Advice or comments? Should I just be satisfied with the results and stay at 4.5ghz for daily use?
Actually 4.5 GHz at that voltage is pretty good, your temps are good. That might be your best daily driver over clock.

As you go higher in GHz you have to apply much more voltage to get it stable. You can go up to 1.35v on the vcore without hurting the CPU, provided your temps are still ok.

If it was me I'd go right to 1.35v and see if it's stable and temps are ok at 4.6 GHz, then you can start backing down the vcore until you find it unstable.

Also Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or XTU is my favorite stress test. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Good luck with your over clocking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I've been using Intel's tool for testing, but I did find that I could get it to bluescreen with Prime95 v26.6 where IETU wouldn't crash it.

It's frustrating that getting from 4.5ghz to 4.6ghz seems to take such a huge leap in voltage. I actually tried 1.25v and no dice either; Prime95 crashed it within minutes. I can run P95 for hours at 4.5ghz 1.215v and it takes it like a champ, though.

Is it typical for chips to be like this? I actually never tried any overclock under 4.5ghz so I don't even know what 4.4ghz would take.

I don't know exactly how 1.30v+ affects these chips, but after all I've read, it's not desirable to go that high. Ideally I'll be running this rig for 4-5+ years so I'd hate to kill it prematurely for a rather superficial overclock gain.

I'd like to see what it would theoretically take to get 4.6ghz stable, but it just feels wrong to increase the voltage so much for a small boost that wouldn't even be real-world noticeable. But hey, I like overclocking.
wink.gif

I had pretty high hopes when I got 4.5ghz so easily, so I can't believe my chip just craps out trying to get any higher than that.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Pretty common and 0.04 isn't that huge a bump
smile.gif

I know my chip's the previous gen to yours but mine goes 4.2 1.215 to 4.3 1.28, 4.4 1.32, 4.5 1.4, 4.6 will boot and run 3d mark at 1.48 Lol.

You can have a very small amount needed for the next multiplier up to a larger amount, back to a smaller bump as you can see from my chip above.

But in the end there's always a wall where it will begin to need a lot more for each multi until it becomes completely unviable. You can always play with other settings to see if they will allow you to lower the voltages slightly too, not sure what they might be on Haswell myself though and it takes a lot of time and testing.

A better way would be to pick a voltage you feel is comfortable, say 1.3 max and see how high it takes you.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat for a friend's build, he even got a z97 Sabertooth and we lose any stability after 4.5ghz, either overheat or BSOD during prime 95 or IBBT.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for the hell of it, I tried to see what I could get out of 1.3v, dropping the uncore to 3.5ghz /1.2v:

At 4.8ghz core I couldn't boot into Windows

At 4.7ghz core it BSODs after seconds of Prime95

Looks like I'm going to just have to be satisfied with my 4.5ghz.
redface.gif

Seems pretty insane that it kills 4.5ghz but just completely falls apart over that. I was wondering if I was just doing something wrong, but if I can't get it to even do 4.7ghz at high volts I should probably just be satisfied with a respectable 65 degree 1.215v clock anyway on air.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabwound View Post

Just for the hell of it, I tried to see what I could get out of 1.3v, dropping the uncore to 3.5ghz /1.2v:

At 4.8ghz core I couldn't boot into Windows

At 4.7ghz core it BSODs after seconds of Prime95

Looks like I'm going to just have to be satisfied with my 4.5ghz.
redface.gif

Seems pretty insane that it kills 4.5ghz but just completely falls apart over that. I was wondering if I was just doing something wrong, but if I can't get it to even do 4.7ghz at high volts I should probably just be satisfied with a respectable 65 degree 1.215v clock anyway on air.
That's a shame, still 4.5 isnt bad at all. I would think you'd be able to get 4.7 with a little bit of playing with LLC or a touch more volts. 4.6 should be very easy under 1.3. Up to you of course it really wont make that much difference. I'd be tempted because I like to play
biggrin.gif

GL

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
4690k's top out around 4.4GHz to 4.5GHz at 1.28V-1.3V unfortunately. But if you are able to get that high, then you have achieved a 1GHz OC. 4790k's are able to get to 4.8GHz much easier, but they require a better cooler than what you would need for a 4690k. It's sort of a trade off, cheaper cooler since you hit volt limit, 4790k will hit temperature limit before volt. (At least, according to the DC owner thread)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Your chip is pretty good actually. Just settle for the 4.5 @ 1.215. Theres usually a wall you hit when overclocking where the chip requires a ton more voltage to go any further, for me it is 4.7 ghz on my 3770k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts