Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm posting this here tonight to make one simple request that could positively affect the general attitude of OCN. I'm sure it's at least once a day that I find a repost thread, but the first or second responses are usually something like "Repost here, here, and here. Learn to use the search function."

Well, it so happens that the search function is gimped beyond belief, and upon searching for threads containing information on the Orange Box, I was awarded with these results.

While I'm not pointing blame at the search function, I'm just saying that there's absolutely NO need to be hostile regarding reposts. This negatively affects OCNs attitude and reputation as a whole.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Agreed, when I read "Repost" in a thread it kind of makes me feel bad for the OP. I am sure it makes the OP feel bad as well.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
i concur completely, nothing pisses me off when i read a perfectly well put together OP, and the first reply is something along the lines of:

OMG, THIS HAS BEN POSTED ALREADY! ::LINK::

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I completely agree with you.

OCN search function is shoddy, at best.

It's better to just use google and add "overclock.net" next to your search.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayday
View Post

Agreed, when I read "Repost" in a thread it kind of makes me feel bad for the OP. I am sure it makes the OP feel bad as well.

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

I completely agree with you.

OCN search function is shoddy, at best.

It's better to just use google and add "overclock.net" next to your search.

Not just OCN either, no forum I know has good search options.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I agree, but the reason is.

People aren't following the rules

A single post is supposed to be made saying,

Repost. [ Link ].

Then anyone reading that thread can simple click and go to the main thread. There doesn't need to be a page full of people saying repost and not one of the linking to where it was reposted...

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I agree. People don't follow the rules. Secondly, the OCN search function isn't any good. I gave up on using it. As another poster pointed out I am more likely to find what I am looking for via Google and adding "overclock.net"

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I agree with OP 100%

I also have issues with the entire repost concept on a forum in the first place. This is not a text book that has editors. 90% of the content here is rehashed from previous posts. At what point is "repost" appropriate? Well with a link certainly helpful with out a link? It should be an infraction for arrogant non helpful smugness. I think that would fall under the general TOS of rudeness or insults?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
This is what I get when I search for "orange box"
All you have to do is change "search entire posts" to "search titles only"

There is an etiquette to telling an OP that their thread is a repost. Type in Repost, and the link to the original thread. There is no need to for anyone else to post after that, except to say thank you to the OP for his efforts and contributions to the forum.
Sometimes the information is so good that it deserves reposting anyways.

Oh yeah, REPOST!

http://www.overclock.net/suggestions...ng-repost.html
http://www.overclock.net/rants-raves...nt-repost.html
Thanks to the OP for their efforts and contributions to the forum

BTW I found these threads by searching for "repost" with "search titles only"

Ain't I a pisser?

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
People bawwing about reposts need to find something to entertain themselves IMO. Big deal, you've seen it before...someone else may not have. Leave it alone and move along.

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
How about just PMing the OP that it's a repost and reporting it with the link in both? WOW. Intelligence on the internet? No wai!

But yeah this "REPOST!!!" crap needs to stop. Its really annoying, looks bad, and wastes thread space.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
OMG FREAKING NOOBS!!!!111 REPOST!!!11!!!!11111oneoneone2!!!2121!!!111½
j/k
I 100% agree, i hate people saying repost...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

People bawwing about reposts need to find something to entertain themselves IMO. Big deal, you've seen it before...someone else may not have. Leave it alone and move along.

exactly i may not notice a thread until i see the repost and i am glad i notice it but when i click it read the thread then scroll and see to a lack of a better word "idiots" bashing and being trolls just because someone made a simple mistake i find that irritating and i wish those people who post REPOST after one person has posted it is completly unneccessary.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
IMO opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "repost" and providing a link to the original thread. As long as it is done with respect and not rude i dont see the problem. I do however HATE people responding with just "repost" and no link to the original, just a single word reply of fail. Or the occasional

"repost but im not about to go find you the old thread, learn how to use the search function".

And i have seen many older members with thousands of posts reply like this and its very rude.

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

This is what I get when I search for "orange box"
All you have to do is change "search entire posts" to "search titles only"

There is an etiquette to telling an OP that their thread is a repost. Type in Repost, and the link to the original thread. There is no need to for anyone else to post after that, except to say thank you to the OP for his efforts and contributions to the forum.
Sometimes the information is so good that it deserves reposting anyways.

Oh yeah, REPOST!

http://www.overclock.net/suggestions...ng-repost.html
http://www.overclock.net/rants-raves...nt-repost.html
Thanks to the OP for their efforts and contributions to the forum

BTW I found these threads by searching for "repost" with "search titles only"

Ain't I a pisser?

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by P£P§!
View Post

exactly i may not notice a thread until i see the repost and i am glad i notice it but when i click it read the thread then scroll and see to a lack of a better word "idiots" bashing and being trolls just because someone made a simple mistake i find that irritating and i wish those people who post REPOST after one person has posted it is completly unneccessary.

But alot of time people dont even search or even try. Usually if you type in the main words you get all the threads or most of them. Its not that hard.
Now I agree noone needs to be a troll and a simple as stated response should suffice.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auld
View Post

IMO opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "repost" and providing a link to the original thread. As long as it is done with respect and not rude i dont see the problem. I do however HATE people responding with just "repost" and no link to the original, just a single word reply of fail. Or the occasional

"repost but im not about to go find you the old thread, learn how to use the search function".

And i have seen many older members with thousands of posts reply like this and its very rude.

B-I-N-G-O you got it and you said the problem!

See my earlier post for more thoughts about arrogance and rehashing? I mean a forum G?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

What does nvm mean? I don't know and Google has banned me/isp?

nevermind

The "repost. [link]" thing is a rule and should be followed. We really do not need 3 of the same threads in the news section. All that is necessary is a simple

Quote:

Repost. [repost url]

the OP does not need to get flamed by 20 people. Also this debate on this topic should not take place in each individual thread.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts