Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came home from work last night and my wife said that the computer smelled like it was burning so she turned it off. when i turned it back on it ran for a few minutes then shut off completely. when i hit the power switch it turned on for just a short second then turned off again,like the previous post but now MINE won't even come on at all. but the green standby light on the mobo comes on. i tried unplugging it and plug it back in, shorting the 4 and 14wire, and changing out the main socket power cord.all with nothing running to the psu but one fan to confirm it was on when i shorted it.am i missing anything else to try?

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raycityclick

i came home from work last night and my wife said that the computer smelled like it was burning so she turned it off. when i turned it back on it ran for a few minutes then shut off completely. when i hit the power switch it turned on for just a short second then turned off again,like the previous post but now MINE won't even come on at all. but the green standby light on the mobo comes on. i tried unplugging it and plug it back in, shorting the 4 and 14wire, and changing out the main socket power cord.all with nothing running to the psu but one fan to confirm it was on when i shorted it.am i missing anything else to try?

Sounds like the power supply is dead.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raycityclick

but what about the green light on the mobo?

Happened to me with my Powerstream. Lights were on the mobo but wouldn't boot. Tried a new psu and it was fine. Especially that burning smell, think the psu is dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts