Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the MSI K8NM boards have SATA frequency lock? It has only 2 SATA ports, not 4 like the K8N Neo boards where two are locked and two unlocked. I was starting to wounder about this since my disk crashed after I got my new TCCD RAM and was pushing it above 300MHz.
The IDE disk driver is connected to the PCI bus and should be locked on a Nforce3-250 board, right? That should be safe.....
I have a new partition with a ghost image of the system disk on my recently formatted
HD, and next time I will be up and running in 5 minutes I hope.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer520

Does anyone know if the MSI K8NM boards have SATA frequency lock? It has only 2 SATA ports, not 4 like the K8N Neo boards where two are locked and two unlocked. I was starting to wounder about this since my disk crashed after I got my new TCCD RAM and was pushing it above 300MHz.
The IDE disk driver is connected to the PCI bus and should be locked on a Nforce3-250 board, right? That should be safe.....
I have a new partition with a ghost image of the system disk on my recently formatted
HD, and next time I will be up and running in 5 minutes I hope.

Not sure if you knew this or not, but all Nforce4 motherboards have all Sata ports locked...including MSI NEO4 series.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure if it is unlocked or not. Was hoping someone could tell me. The disk crash could be caused by windows messing up its files as well. I can not use the standard bios because it has no overclocking settings.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer520

I am not sure if it is unlocked or not. Was hoping someone could tell me. The disk crash could be caused by windows messing up its files as well. I can not use the standard bios because it has no overclocking settings.

All I could find was information on the MSI Nforce2 chipsets which state that Sata 1 and 2 are unlocked, 3 and 4 are locked. I couldn't find any info on Nforce3,sorry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
@Bimmer, ur right. There is every chance that Windows might have crashed coz' of a high overclock. Do u know the max that ur RAM can do ? If not, I'd suggest u to try and use a spare HDD 9 if possible ) with Windows in it, push ur vCore to the max safe values and keep increasing the HTT ( Ensure that the HTT multi is adjusted accordingly to keep ur max HTT at 800 MHz ) till Windows does not load. This will help u in finding the max of ur RAM. This is absolutely necessary for a stable OC. Once u find this, lower ur vCore and start working slowly up with the CPU ensuring that u keep ur RAM within limits.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers. I am going to run the RAM at 288MHz (x8 = 2.3GHz). This is memtest86 stable and HTT will be 3+288=864. This may be too high, will it likely cause problems? I was running 320MHz HTTx3 when it crashed, to test the RAM/HTT limit. Going to lower HTT mult to 2x if I am going to test any more. I will also have a disk with a ghost image as backup.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let it run at 864. Most NF3 and NF4 boards are stable at anything under 100 more than the max HTT ( i.e <1100 in case of NF4 and maybe <900 in case of NF3, not sure abt NF3 though ). Try Prime or OCCT with the HTT at 864. If there are issues, lower ur multi to 2x. Going too low on the HTT bus is also not recommended. Are u sure that ur CPU is capable of taking 288 HTT ??? Ensure that u start with pretty high vCore coz' u'll most prolly pushing ur proccy to the max at 288.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try stability testing when I get everything up and running again. I guess it is stable with 288MHz HTT when it can do a lot of memtest86 passes? I did that test on 1.45V(CPU default) but I will use 1.5V at full system load. If not stable, I will go back to 256MHz HTT and tighter timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts