Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've installed both KB patches for NVMe support under Windows 7 and I can't see the smart stats using crystaldiskinfo (current version). If I boot a live Windows 10 USB, it does work. Is anybody here running Windows 7 and an nvme drive?

The SSD in question is the new WD Black, using a Silverstone ECM21 PCIe adapter card (at PCIe 3.0 x4), MB is Asus X99-S (Deluxe). Note that it's not the boot drive, yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
word of caution, Windows 7

As a word of caution, Windows 7 doesn't support NVMe drives.You need a disc that has SP3 as well as a few updates added in order to even begin to detect the drives and have support to install Windows 7.This is why most people who use NVMe drives stick to installing Windows 8 or Windows 10, because it has NVMe support built into it already.. Tutuapp 9apps Showbox ...However, I hear that the Samsung 960 drives require the Samsung drivers to even install it properly with Windows 8 and Windows 10. In which case you'd still need the samsung drivers to get it to install.Plain and simple though, I'd stick to Windows 8 or Windows 10 if you want to use the NVMe as your boot drive. Less headaches.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a word of caution, Windows 7 doesn't support NVMe drives.You need a disc that has SP3 as well as a few updates added in order to even begin to detect the drives and have support to install Windows 7.This is why most people who use NVMe drives stick to installing Windows 8 or Windows 10, because it has NVMe support built into it already.....However, I hear that the Samsung 960 drives require the Samsung drivers to even install it properly with Windows 8 and Windows 10. In which case you'd still need the samsung drivers to get it to install.Plain and simple though, I'd stick to Windows 8 or Windows 10 if you want to use the NVMe as your boot drive. Less headaches.
It does support NVMe drives, you only need 2 updates. I've got it running perfectly, it's only that I can't see the SMART stats.

As for Windows 10, it's a headache by itself :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts