Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I re-recabled my Superlux HD681s earlier today for a sleeved wire (previous wire was just an RCA to mini jack cable). I made the mistake of putting the ground and signal wires on the wrong place on the left can so I had to switch them, and when I tested them out there was no sound at all from either side. I triple-checked the cable to make sure everything was where it should have been, but there was still no sound
. I then tried to go back to the cheapy RCA cable and that yielded no results either.

I did notice when I was removing the old cable that I completely removed all of the solder from one of the contact pad(?) things on the pcb of the left driver, and had to add some back onto it. Could this, or my wiring mistake mentioned earlier have killed the headphones? I really like these headphones, but if I really did kill the drivers or something im willing to snag another pair. Best to get your guys' advice first though

I can get some pics up tomorrow if it helps

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I didn't check them for sound when I wired it wrong the first time...I should have
. I tried switching the ground and signal a few minutes ago in case I got things mixed up, but I still don't get any sound =(

It does look like there are burns on the pcb of both sides, but those were there even before my initial recable. Hopefully I didn't damage the pcb further with my noob soldering skills; I tried to be careful

Here are some pics with the rca cable
Left:

Right:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea it is pretty confusing, im not sure how both drivers could have gone out; it may have been my mistake on wiring, but that was just one side
. Im thinking I did indeed damage the pcb when soldering...gah. If there is no hope ill probably just use these for parts and buy a new pair

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumyoryu View Post
Yea it is pretty confusing, im not sure how both drivers could have gone out; it may have been my mistake on wiring, but that was just one side
. Im thinking I did indeed damage the pcb when soldering...gah. If there is no hope ill probably just use these for parts and buy a new pair
just before you do that...and i am not trying to be funny or sarcastic in anyway..but you have got the volume on yes?..it would be a easy mistake..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol yea, the volume was cranked when I tried them on my pc and through a sansa fuze + pa2v2; no sound at all

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Have you got an AA or AAA battery thats close to dead ?

If so solder tap some wire red + and black - and then tap the terminals on the driver with the wires,
If you get a little pop then you have current passing through the coil so then all you will have to do is remember the correct placement for the re soldering job,

Edit
If you are not happy with the battery idea then use a Multimeter.

·
Registered
989 Posts
you overheated the voice coil wire. :\\

• Rep+
Reactions: mumyoryu

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The voice coil wire is that copper wire that's wrapped around the middle of the driver? I pretty much just killed them then didn't I D:

Anyway thanks for your thoughts guys. Instead of just buying another pair ill probably look for a different set of headphones. Something with a decent soundstage, good separation, and good highs(the HD681s were abit too harsh, but not as bad as my old MDR7506s); any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
how much money u wanna spend?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Around the $100 range; ill be using them mostly for music and a bit of gaming (BC2).

Are the Beyer DT440s alright? Amazon warehouse deals has a used pair for $87 shipped

edit: I decided to spare my wallet some suffering for now; bought some Koss KSC75s which arrived pretty quick and hot glued them into the HD681s; trashed the old drivers. The Frankenluxes sound great now.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
If neither driver works you either haven't connected your grounds or you over heated the voice coils.

This is why I don't recommend anyone recable headphones themselves unless they have experience soldering and have a low wattage iron or a temp controlled iron.

For new cans you can go for a pair of Senn HD555

1 - 14 of 14 Posts