Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build in 8-9 years.

Installed everything in the case (was too stupid and eager to breadboard everything).

Plug PSU in, plug HDMI to HDMI tv (not monitor - it's all I have here). Pressed the power button and all fans and leds turn on.

Mobo speaker posts a short successful beep. But still no video.

I've taken the graphics card out and tried to use the onboard video... same issue.
Took both sticks of ram out, get a long beep followed by 2 short ones.
Put 1 stick of ram in, get a successful beep.

Not sure what to try next.

Asus Z77-Pro
i5 3570K
Sapphire 7970 OC
2 x 4gb Vengeance
620W seasonic
128gb Crucial SSD
H100 cooler

Please help, I want to get to playing with this thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless2 View Post

Do you have the power molex plugged into the motherboard?
Yes I do. Although my PSU came with 1 8pin and 2 4pins coupled together. I used the 2 4pins since it was a tight fit in the Corsair 500r. That shouldn't be a problem though, right?

·
Banned
711 Posts
I'm wondering if the card can't output the BIOS to the TV.. my brother told my to use DVI on mine because sometimes in Linux installs or in the BIOS you will have no video with HDMI.

Is there a DVI port on the TV you can use?

Can you borrow a monitor from somebody to test this theory?

Chances are the TV is being picky about its signal.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What PSU do you have? You probably used the graphics cards connector on your motherboard, you should have a dedicated 8pin just for the motherboard.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shozzking View Post

What PSU do you have? You probably used the graphics cards connector on your motherboard, you should have a dedicated 8pin just for the motherboard.
Or two four pin ones.. both my power supplies are two four pin connectors coming from one sleeve.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromUndaChz View Post

Or two four pin ones.. both my power supplies are two four pin connectors coming from one sleeve.
I have the Seasonic M12II. It is semi-modular with the 24 pin, 8 pin and a double 4 pin coming out of the PSU. Then the rest plug in. The 8 pin seems to have a different connector than the GPU since I did try to plug it in to the 7970 but it didn't fit.

Anyways... I should have checked the simplest thing. Sapphire gave me a faulty HDMI cable. I tried a current one that I am using and it is working.

Although it would not let me get to the UEFI. It kept displaying ""Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media". Tried a few different things and nothing worked. So I just put Windows 7 in and am installing it now. Any ideas about this one?

·
Banned
711 Posts
Make sure you're hitting the right button for the BIOS.. probably DEL if it's a UEFI BIOS but try F9-F12 also (F1 sometimes too)... hit them right then you turn it on and keep hitting it until you get the BIOS.

It's saying no boot device found because there's not OS on the HD. Install windows and that will stop..

Let me know if you still can't get into the BIOS.

In your case, use the 8-pin for the CPU then. The 4 pin on your CPU are for the GPU

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Make sure you're hitting the right button for the BIOS.. probably DEL if it's a UEFI BIOS but try F9-F12 also (F1 sometimes too)... hit them right then you turn it on and keep hitting it until you get the BIOS.
It's saying no boot device found because there's not OS on the HD. Install windows and that will stop..
Let me know if you still can't get into the BIOS.
In your case, use the 8-pin for the CPU then. The 4 pin on your CPU are for the GPU
I installed windows, took the cd out and it booted to windows.

I shut down the computer and cleared the CMOS. Still didn't allow me to get into BIOS (mobo manual says to do this and hold down delete when you reboot to get into the bios).

Now when I try to boot, it doesn't even go into windows and nothing is on the screen.

I'm going to try to borrow someones monitor tonight/tomorrow. But anything I can try until then?

·
Banned
711 Posts
If holding down and / or tapping delete won't get you into your BIOS - double check that your keyboard doesn't have non-standard setup that might be allowing "DEL" to have some alternate use.. On of my old OEM keyboards shared DEL with the NUM "." key so I had to tap "NUM LOCK" and "DEL" in an alternating fashion to get into the BIOS.

If that's not the case, I would call tech support and see that they have to say because that's very odd. Is it a USB keyboard?

Seeing as though you can't get into the BIOS, and the video is coming in and out - the motherboard is suspect... new boards are commonly RMA'd for things like this - but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion quite yet.

Make sure everything is plugged in and seated properly. Take the RAM out and put it back in - and ensure it's in the proper slots if you're only using two sticks of RAM (check the MOBO manual)

Clearing the CMOS should not have botched the boot following the windows install.. unless prior to installing windows, you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS - but you couldn't get into the BIOS so I'm kind of at a loss on this one..

mad.gif

Fill out your system specs on your sig rig in your profile.. it will making helping you out easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

If holding down and / or tapping delete won't get you into your BIOS - double check that your keyboard doesn't have non-standard setup that might be allowing "DEL" to have some alternate use.. On of my old OEM keyboards shared DEL with the NUM "." key so I had to tap "NUM LOCK" and "DEL" in an alternating fashion to get into the BIOS.
If that's not the case, I would call tech support and see that they have to say because that's very odd. Is it a USB keyboard?
Seeing as though you can't get into the BIOS, and the video is coming in and out - the motherboard is suspect... new boards are commonly RMA'd for things like this - but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion quite yet.
Make sure everything is plugged in and seated properly. Take the RAM out and put it back in - and ensure it's in the proper slots if you're only using two sticks of RAM (check the MOBO manual)
Clearing the CMOS should not have botched the boot following the windows install.. unless prior to installing windows, you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS - but you couldn't get into the BIOS so I'm kind of at a loss on this one..
mad.gif

Fill out your system specs on your sig rig in your profile.. it will making helping you out easier.
I picked up a cheapo keyboard but it has a dedicated delete key. And it worked during windows installation.

So yea, I'll give tech support a call and see what they say. The boot device led is now staying on each time I start it. Sounds alot like this issue with the Z67 board.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1197163/asus-p8p67-pro-boot-device-led-problem

They RMA'd it and the new board fixed the problem.

That's going to suck if I gotta do that. Was looking forward all week to get this thing put together and try it out. Even took Monday off of work. lol. And living here in Iowa, there is no place around that sells Z77 mobos in stock. aaagh

·
Banned
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romowens01 View Post

I picked up a cheapo keyboard but it has a dedicated delete key. And it worked during windows installation.
So yea, I'll give tech support a call and see what they say. The boot device led is now staying on each time I start it. Sounds alot like this issue with the Z67 board.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1197163/asus-p8p67-pro-boot-device-led-problem
They RMA'd it and the new board fixed the problem.
That's going to suck if I gotta do that. Was looking forward all week to get this thing put together and try it out. Even took Monday off of work. lol. And living here in Iowa, there is no place around that sells Z77 mobos in stock. aaagh
I hear your pain man.. closest place to me is about 100 miles - when I do a new build I get a hotel room over there and build it in the room - if there's a problem I return it before heading home - lol!

Sucks but yeah those boards have that issue so based on your symptoms - you're probably no exception
sozo.gif

It happens, a lot... I've had it happen to me a few times - it's all part of building your own system though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

I hear your pain man.. closest place to me is about 100 miles - when I do a new build I get a hotel room over there and build it in the room - if there's a problem I return it before heading home - lol!
Sucks but yeah those boards have that issue so based on your symptoms - you're probably no exception
sozo.gif

It happens, a lot... I've had it happen to me a few times - it's all part of building your own system though.
Not a bad plan. Actually thought about making the 200 mile trip to MicroCenter for their i5 deal. But decided that the savings was going to be ate by the gas prices to get there.

On a good note. I walked away from the computer for a bit. Came back, removed the GPU and tried the IGP it booted 3 times now and able to get into the bios. I'm updating all the drivers now and hopefully I can put the GPU back in and it will all work. I got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well updated all drivers and all window updates and everything is going good.... except for one thing.

Seems whenever I try to get into the BIOS it freezes up on me. I have to reset the computer and it will load to windows. I also don't see any bios screens when I turn it on or reset. Anyone experience this and have a solution?

·
Banned
711 Posts
That MOBO is suspect dude.. those are some really odd issues you're having..

I'd just call Asus, they will probably have you RMA it. I know it sucks waiting but it's probably the best long term solution - something seems off with that thing.

Try making a new thread along the lines of "ASUS P8Z77-V Freezing BIOS" and somebody with that same board might help you a little bit quicker.

Good luck!
thumb.gif

I would certainly suggest updating the BIOS - but it won't let you go into the BIOS.

However, ASUS software will allow a BIOS flash from within Windows - I just did it today because I couldn't find my USB drive to do it the "old fashion" way.

Try updating the BIOS from within Windows. Asus tends to update their BIOS often.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts