Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I have paused a (GPU heavy) computer game for a couple of hours. When I returned to my computer, a BSOD was showing mentioning dxgmms1.sys. I had no other choice than to reboot my computer. But unfortunately, I received no video output from my video card. I am sure the monitor works correctly (connected it to a laptop). Specs are below.

My first thought is my video card died. Under normal circumstances, (I think) my system indicates with a short beep the POST test has been completed succesfully. Now: no beep, no video output, no activity from LEDs/HDD, but fans are up and running. This all led me to believe me pausing Medal of Honor for a large amount of time somehow did damage to the GPU.

I ordered a new GPU (supported by motherboard), installed it, but I still have no video output whatsoever. Fans are whirring and LEDs on my video card are on, so I think the GPU isn't the problem.

Could it be my motherboard? Is there a way to test if my motherboard is the problem?

Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 208Ghz AM3 7.5MB
  • GPU: Gigabyte nVidia 9600GT 1024 GDDR3 GV-N96-TSL-1GI PCIe
  • Motherboard: Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 DDR3 1333MHz FSB5.2GT ATX+VGA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer. And happy newyear
wink.gif

I have tried resetting the CMOS by changing the jumper for a few secs (as described in manual). I also even removed the backup battery for a few seconds, but to no avail: still no video output on VGA/HDMI
frown.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd try to boot from another OS installation, as a Ubuntu Live DVD, to rule out file corruption (I've had a lot of that in my adventures overclocking RAM as a newbie).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Videocard in another slot gives me the same result: everything /seems/ to work, but no video output at all.

I've also tried booting a live DVD of Ubuntu, but it didn't work either. But since I don't even see a BIOS loading screen, I'm not surprised... :-/

·
Registered
4 Posts
I missed the bit where you say that you don't even get a POST screen. And your CPU doesn't have an IGP, so all that's left is swapping hardware; either wait for the new card or borrow a cheap one.

Your card or MB may be actually fried, but it's really odd that pausing a game would do that. You don't mention whether it's under warranty, but ask anyway at the Gigabyte forums if your case rings a bell; it might be a pure coincidence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried swapping my video card: I order a brand new one, installed it, but same result: no video comes out at all. No POST checks, no BIOS loading screen, ...

Unfortunately, none of the components are under warranty anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts