Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MSI Z690 Force/Carbon motherboard. I've noticed that when I use a negative voltage offset in "Adaptive + Offset" mode or Advanced Offset Mode, the offset is only applied to the cores (P-cores and E-cores), but not to the ring. Because Vcore is always set to MAX(Pcore_voltage, Ecore_voltage, Ring_voltage) and because the ring has the highest voltage requirements, this severely limits undervolting. For example, the ring requires ~1.35V at a 45x clock ratio (much more than P-cores at this frequency), so you can never get Vcore below ~1.35V, no matter how large an offset you apply.

I don't see any direct way to set the ring voltage in my BIOS. One way would be to reduce AC/DC loadline and/or LLC, but that would be a bit of a kludge.

Is it normal for "overclocking" motherboards to offer no options to adjust ring voltage? Or did I pick the wrong brand?

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
@tszyn Is there a voltage called L2, on Asus that is for the ring as far as I know.

I have no idea about offsets and adaptive never used that.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,744 Posts
I just lower my ring speed when undervolting to get the undervolt to take. But I upgraded from Broadwell and that had independent voltages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just lower my ring speed when undervolting to get the undervolt to take. But I upgraded from Broadwell and that had independent voltages.
Yeah, if I don't find a better way, I'm going to lower both my AC/DC Loadline and my ring ratio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ring voltage is just plain ol' vcore as P cores, e cores and ring all get their voltage from the same fivr. Hence, vcore will be the current max vid of all three.
That's what I wrote in my original post...

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
@jomama22

@tszyn

So you are saying the L2 voltage in Asus z690 is not for cache? When i increased it I could run higher cache otherwise it would crash.

So it was just a fluke?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
@jomama22

@tszyn

So you are saying the L2 voltage in Asus z690 is not for cache? When i increased it I could run higher cache otherwise it would crash.

So it was just a fluke?
Ring and l2 cache are completely different things. L2 voltage literally controls the e-cores L2 cache voltage and has its own fivr.

As per Intel documentation on the ring voltage:
Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Number

Where LLC is Last Level Cache, aka L3.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Ring and l2 cache are completely different things. L2 voltage literally controls the e-cores L2 cache voltage and has its own fivr.

As per Intel documentation on the ring voltage:
View attachment 2542747
Where LLC is Last Level Cache, aka L3.
Interesting. When I set L2 higher I could clock cache/ring higher without crashing Ill have to look into testing it again sometime or I am just not understanding I guess.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Interesting. When I set L2 higher I could clock cache/ring higher without crashing Ill have to look into testing it again sometime or I am just not understanding I guess.
I mean, the l2 talks to the l3 (how caching in a processor works) so it's possible for the l2 to not be stable with whatever speed the l3/ring is.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I mean, the l2 talks to the l3 (how caching in a processor works) so it's possible for the l2 to not be stable with whatever speed the l3/ring is.
Yep I think is what it is. I just know it wouldnt boot setting a high cache/ring with e cores enabled and setting L2 voltage higher let me boot and run the higher cache/ring. But it is not worth it because it has to be set too high so i went back to leaving cache on auto and it can go up to 4700 or clock down.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Yep I think is what it is. I just know it wouldnt boot setting a high cache/ring with e cores enabled and setting L2 voltage higher let me boot and run the higher cache/ring. But it is not worth it because it has to be set too high so i went back to leaving cache on auto and it can go up to 4700 or clock down.
I have set my L2 voltage to what you mentioned a few days ago to 1.30v in my bios... Asus kept the voltage "WHITE" so im assuming its still in the safe zone??? i think it turned yellow about .050 higher at 1.350v. Are you still at 1.30 L2 voltage?

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I have set my L2 voltage to what you mentioned a few days ago to 1.30v in my bios... Asus kept the voltage "WHITE" so im assuming its still in the safe zone??? i think it turned yellow about .050 higher at 1.350v. Are you still at 1.30 L2 voltage?
I put all my cache and L2 stuff back to auto. I went back to bios 901.

I dont know if 1.3 is safe. that is just what it took for me to get 1001 stable. that is why I set it there. But you might not need it that high, I did. test it lower and see if it is stable for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts