Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
few things. why does noctua use such an awful colour scheme? anodized black would look amazing,

if i fit this to an Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X will i be able to use everything on the board or will it cover up anything as i want 8gbs of ram, and 4ghz out of the 965 im ordering?

is it possible?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
ps you can always change the fans out to something more to your liking. i got 9 cm 120mm fans on the way as we speak two of em are going in the sink. 90cfm fans btw.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Should be, but I can't remember if the aluminum hangers that you use to mount the fans are adjustable on the noctua.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Should be, but I can't remember if the aluminum hangers that you use to mount the fans are adjustable on the noctua.
It is adjustable.

What I'v noticed is that instead of removing the dominator heatsinks people are just placing the fan up. Not pleasant to the eyes, but it works.

Also the color scheme grows on you.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it wont fit in with the black/blue theme im going for. where can i get some black coloured fans that are as good as the standard ones for cooling? i want push pull setup, also, can you buy it without fans and save some cash?

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Some GT AP-15's should do the job and would fit with your colour scheme. I believe you have to buy the D14 with the fans though, so you cant save any money that way.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSF_x View Post
if i sell them, how much will people buy for?
Not sure if you would get that much for them. Noctua sells the fans for quite a lot but they aren't the greatest fans around - they are quiet and move a bit of air, but not like the GT's do and certainly cant match the static pressure of a lot of other fans out there.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
worth keeping as spares then? is there anything cheap than the d14 on the market for am3 that will keep me cool at 4ghz?

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

worth keeping as spares then? is there anything cheap than the d14 on the market for am3 that will keep me cool at 4ghz?
Venomous X Black/RT, Thermalright IFX-14, Corsair H50 or the Prolimatech Megahalems w/ AM3 kit are all good options.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thermalright is about half the price of the noctua :O and looks bad as as ****. will i get 4ghz on that?

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

thermalright is about half the price of the noctua :O and looks bad as as ****. will i get 4ghz on that?
The IFX-14 is basically the same as the Cogage Arrow and that's a great cooler so I'd assume you'll be fine. The Venomous X wouldn't have any trouble either, nor would the Megahalems. The Corsair H50 is the other option if you want self contained water cooling, it'll give the same sort of temps but it should be quieter and takes up a lot less room on the motherboard.

• Rep+
Reactions: DSF_x

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont want to go near w/c until i have some decent money and ill buy a full loop. but that will never happen haha. will the thermalright leave decent clearance? repp'd

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
id go with the noctua. most people will say silverarrow is best cooler but i disagree. i think the noctua nh d-14 is the best one going. you can buy two black fans for cheap. like 8.99 a peice. also gskill ram is just as good as those dominators. and if you use dominators with more than 4gb you will have to remove one of the heatspreaders on a dimm. id go with the gskill if you decide to get the noctua. i will post some pictures of my setup later if you would like.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

i dont want to go near w/c until i have some decent money and ill buy a full loop. but that will never happen haha. will the thermalright leave decent clearance? repp'd
Should do, although if you want clearance the Megahalems or Venomous X are better options - you can run push/pull and it shouldn't take up too much room even if you use 38mm fans.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive also just read the base isnt straight, providing bad temps. dont really want to fix this myself, is it a common problem on the thermalrights?

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

ive also just read the base isnt straight, providing bad temps. dont really want to fix this myself, is it a common problem on the thermalrights?
They usually have a convex base, at least the newer coolers do. The IFX 14 is probably the same as the TRUE which didn't always have a great base although it doesn't massively affect temps unless the base is massively concave or something like that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i saw a review with one side easily visible to be slanted, just put me off, despite that it looks amazing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts