Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the rest of the parts for my gaming rig on Saturday, so when I got home I built it all up but it kept rebooting. Sometimes it'd be before it POSTed, sometimes it would last say 30 seconds, and I once managed to boot long enough to install Ubuntu from the Live CD.

I thought at first it might've been the PSU, but using the known-good 650w OCZ in this PC proved that thought wrong - still had the reboot problem. Next thing I did was remove the heatsink, and it booted. Put back the new PSU (Corsair AX850) and still worked. Switched off so it could cool down a bit, then booted back up and it worked again. So 3 successful boots in a row without the heatsink.

As soon as I put the heatsink back in (after using ArtiClean 1+2 and reapplying the AS5) the reboot issue is back. I've ran out of ideas, so hopefully someone here can help... This build is driving me insane
frown.gif

New build specs:
Corsair AX850
ASUS P7P55D
Core i7 860
Noctua NH-D14
EVGA GTX460
2x2GB OCZ Gold 1333MHz (temp until 4x4GB Corsair XMS3 arrives)

If I've missed out anything important, remind me and I'll add it in

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, so I loosened it a bit but still got the problem. Might try a bit more but I just gotta be careful not to loosen it too much =/

Says in the manual to tighten until the screws don't move, so that's what I did originally

EDIT: Just loosened it a bit more, switched on and it's POSTed. Even came up saying "New CPU installed!" for the first time ever, so gonna check out some BIOS settings then see what sensors reports if it gets as far as loading Ubuntu.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Look at the back of your mb. Then look at the upper right hand picture in this pdf. Generally the only way you can mess up the installation of a Noctua mount is to miss this crucial detail.

Might explain your problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you mean the one about the two holes matching up with the board's mounting thing, that's fine. Was a bit wobbly when I first installed it so I double checked the manual and noticed about the holes, so they definitely match up alright.

Almost finished installing Windows 7x64 now. Ran prime95 for a short amount of time while still in Ubuntu but the PSU fan still didn't come on, so maybe it is a faulty psu after all? Was reading around last night and apparently it should come on at high loads, but all 8 cores were at 100% :?

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeM0nK3Y;11955046
If you mean the one about the two holes matching up with the board's mounting thing, that's fine. Was a bit wobbly when I first installed it so I double checked the manual and noticed about the holes, so they definitely match up alright.

Almost finished installing Windows 7x64 now. Ran prime95 for a short amount of time while still in Ubuntu but the PSU fan still didn't come on, so maybe it is a faulty psu after all? Was reading around last night and apparently it should come on at high loads, but all 8 cores were at 100% :?
Maybe that's not such a large load for your psu. Usually it takes a couple of vidcards to really pull power from a psu.

In any case, it looks like you're booting now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's true, didn't think of that. Yeah it boots fine mostly. Rebooted a couple times after setup (not the normal reboots setup forces) but other than that it seems ok. Just a matter of giving it the test of time and see what happens... Ubuntu lasted about half an hour.

Will update if it does it again, thanks to all that've helped so far
smile.gif

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok this is immensely annoying now. Just added the two fans back onto the heatsink and it's rebooting before post again. Why can't the damn thing just work? Never had problems with heatsinks before... Could throw this thing outta the window if it didn't cost so much
frown.gif

/me is pondering if loosening it some more then replacing the fans would help, or if it would be too loose

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Tensioning screws tightened all the way? Motherboard standoffs and screws tightened all the way?

Does the stock cooler cause reboot? I know you said it will boot with the old cooler, but will it avoid rebooting?

Old known good psu - the rebooting still occurs, so it's not that.

Hmm. Maybe Noctua tech support will know. They'll be getting to work in Austria in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were tightened all the way originally, loosened them a bit and it booted (but still rebooted after a while) until I added the fans. Since then I've tried different tension on the screws, with/without one/both fans, and just about to try it with vertical orientation (fans facing up) instead of horizontal.

I don't have any other cooler to try it with, but it happily boots without one. Temps are mega high though so I daren't leave it on too long to find out if it stays on
tongue.gif

Think I'll pop Noctua an email if rotating it doesn't work. Think Austria is probably an hour or two ahead of me so could be lucky enough (though I doubt it) to get a reply before I go to work in 4 hours time
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just tested it after I removed the heatsink and front brackets, and it was still rebooting. Maybe the CPU is screwed or something? That wouldn't explain how it'll sometimes boot though =/

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeM0nK3Y;11955972
EDIT: Just tested it after I removed the heatsink and front brackets, and it was still rebooting. Maybe the CPU is screwed or something? That wouldn't explain how it'll sometimes boot though =/
With 1156 lands, just one bent pin would set you up with an intermittent contact. An electromechanical fault in the socket. Do you have any friends with 1156 motherboards?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts