Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive sort of narrowed my search down to these two for overclocking my Ryzen. Which one would you pick? If neither, give me your recommendation and why. Id like to stay around the $40-$50 price point. Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Both should perform similar, if you want to stay between $40-50, True Spirit 140 Power is around $50, while the noctua is usually around $65.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Reviews indicate the NH-U14S is superior, but the TRUE Spirit 140 Power is the better value. None of the reviews I looked at were tested on Ryzen processors, but I would expect them to perform similarly compared to Intel systems.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
As an owner of a TS140Power on Ryzen 7 1700X I'd say that the caveat is not performance of the Thermalright cooler (it'll handle 180W easy and keep the CPU < 70°C even in 30°C ambient). The issue is the thing is 171.2mm tall so anything that is a 170mm height rated case is going to cut it close. The fan clips are also finnicky , it's 155mm width without offset, and it has a 2 year warranty.

If you opt for the Noctua then be advised Noctua is supposedly about to release new fans and a new 140mm fan U type cooler is also projected.

The Noctua has a longer warranty , great support (i.e. they have a compatibility list with motherboards), and a proven design. It's used as a benchmarking standard.

·
Fix it till its broke
771 Posts
A TY-143 really helps the cooler out. But then again it also adds to the price.. They give you 2 pairs of clips, because they know you will run push/pull heheh.

Its rated for 360w with just the TY147A

·
Rabies is my business
4,365 Posts
Reviews indicate the NH-U14S is superior, but the TRUE Spirit 140 Power is the better value. None of the reviews I looked at were tested on Ryzen processors, but I would expect them to perform similarly compared to Intel systems.
I have the NH-U14S on a 1600X running at 3.9 on all cores and it is overkill.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
Ive sort of narrowed my search down to these two for overclocking my Ryzen. Which one would you pick? If neither, give me your recommendation and why. Id like to stay around the $40-$50 price point. Thanks
As others have already said, both are very good but as TRUE Spirit 140 Power is generally much lower priced. I know some reviews show TRUE Spirit 140 Power not performing as well but in my experience it is as good or better. U14S is usually tested with 1x and 2x 1500rpm fans while TRUE Spirit 140 Power has a single 1300rpm fan, so obviously the extra 200rpm and /or 2x fans will give a couple degrees cooler temps. If you really want more cooling put a TY-143 2500rpm fan on either one and get 7-10c lower temps .. assuming you add similar case fans so cooler gets needed cool air and you can stand the noise above 1500rpm. :p

Seriously, the TS140P with a TY-143 fan only ran up to 1500rpm will out-perform U14.
TRUE Spirit 140 Power is $49.95 and be 1-2c warmer than U14
plus TY-143 for $17.99 and have temp 7-10c cooler than U14​
NH-U14S is $63.99 for 1-2c lower temps with 2-5c more noise than TRUE Spirit 140 Power.

I would get the TRUE Spirit 140 Power.

H7 is a good little cooler, but not in same league as these two big coolers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1700X at 1.425v, TS140P with TY-143 in, TY-147A out. Over 80C at 70-80% CPU usage on Define R5 and Arctic MX-4 used, 25C ambient. At 60% cpu usage, fan jumps to 2400rpm. Not impressed. TY-147A is a joke above 1.3v on Ryzen. If you keep it stock, it may work just fine.
Those heatpipes gets warm quickly, the fins remain almost cold, so the heat is coming at the top of the heatpipes, but I don't understand why it doesn't cool quicker. TY-143 is amazing, the air is very smooth and throwing air almost in straight line and is not turbulent. i would avoid TS140P. I was sold in the "360W" mark, well I got what I paid for.
It will be better in an open case.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
1700X at 1.425v, TS140P with TY-143 in, TY-147A out. Over 80C at 70-80% CPU usage on Define R5 and Arctic MX-4 used, 25C ambient. At 60% cpu usage, fan jumps to 2400rpm. Not impressed. TY-147A is a joke above 1.3v on Ryzen. If you keep it stock, it may work just fine.
Those heatpipes gets warm quickly, the fins remain almost cold, so the heat is coming at the top of the heatpipes, but I don't understand why it doesn't cool quicker. TY-143 is amazing, the air is very smooth and throwing air almost in straight line and is not turbulent. i would avoid TS140P. I was sold in the "360W" mark, well I got what I paid for.
It will be better in an open case.
From what you have said it's is obvious you have problems with cooling. But we need much more detailed info in order to trouble-shoot and find a solution.

What is your case fan setup? If you have not changed your intake fans the case not even able to supply cool air to GPU and CPU coolers without better front intakes and running TY-143 which flows twice the airflow of normal fans means it's re-using heated component air .. and every degree warmer the air going into cooler is translates to about a degree hotter CPU is.

·
Fix it till its broke
771 Posts
I agree, something definitely isn't right. I have an x5690 which is 130w bone stock, and ramps up quickly from there and it works great, has a tight grip on temps, with a 3c spread between the six cores. Something definitely needs attention.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got 2x TY-147B mounted on D15 heatsink, only difference I feel compared to 1500 RPM A15s is I have less noise with same cooling.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
I got 2x TY-147B mounted on D15 heatsink, only difference I feel compared to 1500 RPM A15s is I have less noise with same cooling.
TY-147B are quieter than A15 are but also move less air. When I tested D15 at 1200-1300rpm I got 1-2c higher temps, but that was [email protected] 1.3v, so lots of TDP/heat. With lower TDP the difference is less so probably why you didn't see a difference. I'm guess is you ran stock A15s with LNA adapter they would be about same noise level. Sound profile of A15 is a little different than TY-147A/B as well, and I prefer TY-147 sound profile. The less intrusive a sound is to our ears the lower in we perceirve it's to be. In other words, how we perceive a sound is as or more important than actual pressure level (dB(A) is.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,223 Posts
Having used and tested the NH-U14S and TS140P, would go with the Cryorig H5. :p

But, between the U14S and TS140P, I would probably go with the one that looks better in your case. Performance difference will be incredibly small.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
Having used and tested the NH-U14S and TS140P, would go with the Cryorig H5. :p

But, between the U14S and TS140P, I would probably go with the one that looks better in your case. Performance difference will be incredibly small.
Yeah, we would never want to use a cooler with higher TDP rating than needed. Why would we ever want to have more cooling than need and be able to play with overclocking or to keep things cool in extremely hot weather, or when filters are dirty because we don't clean them often enough, or cooler gets dirty becaue we take filters out of case because we don't have good enough case fans to pull enough air through even clean filters .. or just have a bigger cooler with bigger fan/s because it will cool better making less noise. You just had to make me rant on about things. :D

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,223 Posts
Yeah, we would never want to use a cooler with higher TDP rating than needed. Why would we ever want to have more cooling than need and be able to play with overclocking or to keep things cool in extremely hot weather, or when filters are dirty because we don't clean them often enough, or cooler gets dirty becaue we take filters out of case because we don't have good enough case fans to pull enough air through even clean filters .. or just have a bigger cooler with bigger fan/s because it will cool better making less noise. You just had to make me rant on about things. :D
Oh.....you mean the TDP rating with no standards for testing? I'll happily give you a ketchup pack with a 400W TDP rating. ;)

But, I never mentioned TDP rating, so not sure why that made you rant. The H5 will happily cool an OC Ryzen....as will the TS140P.....and the U14S.....and countless other coolers.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
Oh.....you mean the TDP rating with no standards for testing? I'll happily give you a ketchup pack with a 400W TDP rating. ;)

But, I never mentioned TDP rating, so not sure why that made you rant. The H5 will happily cool an OC Ryzen....as will the TS140P.....and the U14S.....and countless other coolers.
That's why I ranted. :whistle:

Indeed, H5 is enough cooler for Ryzen at moderate overclock. I just think if there is room for it's 170x155x79mm (HxWxD), the TRUE Spirt 140 Power is better deal. But it is very tall and wide. H5 Ultimate is 160x143x110.9mm (NH-U14S is 165x152x78mm).

In USA
TRUE Spirit 140 Power is $49.90
while H5 is $46.99 .. way better cooler for only $3 more.
NH-U14S is $63.95 .. meaning buyer is paying $14 for no gain in performance or noise level.

H5 Ultimate fan sticks too far forward to clear RAM .. and H5 Universal does not cool as well and makes more noise..

Logical solution is TRUE Spirit 140 Power assuming it will fit case and motherboard.

Another good option is Macho Rev. B for $49.90 It is 162x140x127mm and fits behind RAM too.

All that said, I have H5 is one of my small cases with TY-147A fan on it. ;)

I wish H5 was designed with enough backset for normal thickness front fan to fit behind RAM .. or better yet they would stop make tall fake heat-sink RAM.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
If you'd like to opt for something cheaper, Cryorig H7.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

Should be enough for an overclocked Ryzen.
This is a terrible idea for Ryzen 2nd gen 2700X. It might be worse than the stock cooler thermally even if it is quieter.

----

If it's a second gen Ryzen it runs hotter. Even with a 240mm AIO people are hitting 70°C T_Die (no CPU temp offset) when overclocked to 4.2GHz ~ 1.3V. I actually was annoyed with this so I only tried overclocking my best 4 cores first to establish the maximum potential (about 4.325GHz @ 1.45V).

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
I agree H7 is enough cooler for most Ryzen applications including mild overclocking. It's rated 140w TDP and Ryzen are all less than 105w TDP .. unless you go Threadripper. :p I prefer using bigger coolers because the don't have to work as hard to keep CPU cool thus make less noise. That and 140mm fan are quieter moving the same amount of air as 120mm fans. ;)

Here is a basic chart of Ryzen except Threadripper .. I think I got them all, but if you know of something I missed please let me know.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts