Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this? Does it really work?

I have 4 80mm silent case fans..but with 4 in there..it aint really silent.
Gona replace the 2 intake with a 140mm silent fan later..

I read somewhere that If you line the inside of your case with fiberglass or sponges (cheeper) then it would reduce noise levels cuz the sponges would absorb sound waves..

Any ideas?

Im thinking this would hurt case temps maybe??

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
the sponges will dampen the sound some,but then it will also constrict air flow because of the space it will take up, the best way would be to go to your local audio shop, or bestbuy type store and grab this stuff called Dynomat, and get the "door kit", its used in car audio to reduce road noise,vibration, and dampen sound all together, i say get the door kit because it is about the size needed for a pc case... and you just line the inside of the case w/ it...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
watch your temps after you do it. Any sound dampening will act as an insulator to some extent. If they are rising too much you may have to remove some.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rza

Has anyone tried this? Does it really work?

I have 4 80mm silent case fans..but with 4 in there..it aint really silent.
Gona replace the 2 intake with a 140mm silent fan later..

I read somewhere that If you line the inside of your case with fiberglass or sponges (cheeper) then it would reduce noise levels cuz the sponges would absorb sound waves..

Any ideas?

Im thinking this would hurt case temps maybe??

Hi. get yourself some papst fans. i have 4x 120 mm fans ( 16,5 db ) and i hardly can hear them. Papst are the most silent fans ive tryed. and also pic up some MIST NoiseKiller carpets. works like a charm, now the only thing i hear is the psu.. dont really know how to silent that.. any one have i idea? ( got the TK pure Silent 680w.

good luck,

·
Registered
376 Posts
Change the fan?

·
Registered
376 Posts
If the PSU has a lousy/noisy fan, you can always swap it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts