Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a ocz modxtreme pro 600w.

the fan on it makes a clicking sound, when i turned it off, n' spun the blades manually, i could still feel and hear this 'click' noise as it turned. is this normal? does it need to be worn in? should i send it back to newegg?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Send it back for a replacement, or better yet get a power supply that isn't trash. The ModXStream 600W is one of the worst PSUs in OCZ's lineup.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Send it back for a replacement, or better yet get a power supply that isn't trash. The ModXStream 600W is one of the worst PSUs in OCZ's lineup.
no doubt, its low end.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeast View Post
funny, all the reviews said its great. do i send ot back to newegg?
yes. return it.

also, what reviews? the ones on newegg? if that's the case, a good number of newegg reviewers should be pulled by their hair into a big open field and bludgeoned with a sack of potatoes.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeast View Post
its got about 200 reviews on newegg, and only 3 or 4 claim to have this issue
But how many of the folks that have a problem with a product are going to actually spend the extra amount of time to sit down and type up a review?

Compare newegg reviews and recommendations to what you find here on OCN.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Gabriel Torres did a review of it. Unfortunately, although he's one of the few reviewers worth his salt he places too much emphasis on efficiency and being able to overload the PSU, so I think he gave it like a silver award or something. However if you look at the scope shots the +12V is extremely poor. Not out of spec, but definitely higher than I'd like to see.
(though it's interesting to note that the Corsair TX750W actually has, or had, worse +12V ripple at full load than the OCZ--just goes to show that Corsair isn't always the best. At lower load levels the Corsair's ripple is still better though)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could it have been that i mounted it upside down? my case doesn't have a bottom intake hole

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
That could cause it to run hotter, but it shouldn't be causing a clicking noise.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeast
View Post

funny, all the reviews said its great. do i send ot back to newegg?

Don't trust Newegg Reviews.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

I have the 500W ModXStream Pro and have the same problem with my fans. My first replacement was DOA and now they're offering me to upgrade to a 600W for free, but I have to pay the shipping for both the original and faulty replcament back. Should I upgrade or just hope the next 500W is actually working? I ask because you said the 600W was one of the worst.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trogalicious
View Post

yes. return it.

also, what reviews? the ones on newegg? if that's the case, a good number of newegg reviewers should be pulled by their hair into a big open field and bludgeoned with a sack of potatoes.

this has to go the one of those funny quotes threads.class.

yep return it dude.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts