Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PSU has turned out to be the noisiest part of my system by far- in my sig rig, if Im playing crysis2 or loading both cpu and gpu it really starts going.

Im not overclocking my gpu, but Im pulling 1.4 vcore on my cpu under load. If I back it down to 1.32, Im still stable with a 4.6 OC. Havent tried to see if that will quiet things down or not.

But the question is, is this just a noisy psu? Or just not enough oomph for my system? Its really working....

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You're pulling like 400W under load.

Which Thermaltake do you have? Link. Make sure it's the exact one, Thermaltake has a lot of units with very, very similar names (sometimes even the exact same name) but slightly different model numbers and HUGELY different internals.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tats
View Post

Could any 750 be that bad with 400w? It can't be the psu right?

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W can do about 450W before violating ATX specs for ripple and has a crappy fan, so...

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed at how serious the choice of a psu is. Wish I had known that before I got my sweet Coolmax.....

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Should be a CWT PSH unit.

I'd say that they just programmed the fan controller to be a little aggressive. Not much you can do about if you want it quieter, except maybe replace it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

You're pulling like 400W under load.

Just checking- when I enter in my system (with case fans and 2 additional HDD) with overclock into the PSU calculator I get a minimum PSU of 533W, recommended 583W.

It doesn't say, does that give some headroom or is that the actual number of watts my system may pull under load?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Which calculator? Some are better than others. And the good one (extreme.overclock) requires some restraint to use correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts