Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had my first DICE run. Sorry for not getting any pictures, forgot to bring my camera and my phone's batteries are dead, but I'll upload the one picture I did take.

I had a lot of trouble to get this session started and a lot of trouble getting around the cold boot bug I had. I've done some research and found out how to get around it for the next session.

Here are the results from last night's session:

Goals for next session:
  • Stabilize RAM with acceptable performance
  • Test 3D
  • Clock over 5GHz

Other sessions:
Testing out the Core i5 650
Playing with the Core i7 860 in 2D and 3D
Learning the Phenom II and Dual Core E5200
Multithreaded Mayhem session with Core i5 750 and a little 9800GX2
Setup pics
Finding the limits of the Core i3 530
Playing with x58 and preparing to sell the 9800GX2
First encounter with LN2: Mostly Core i7 920 2D and some HD5770 3D
Second encounter with LN2: Core i5 650 testing for MOA
DICE: First session with the GTX 480 and SuperPi 32M improvement

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Nice!
I think you need to add:

*turn off C1E/CPU functions to keep core speed constant

*get QPI at +4ghz

Looking good for first runs though..you have any issues with condensation?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Nice! You got farther than me on my first (& still only) DICE session. I didn't get much dice & it took me a while to get the acetone/ice mix right & I barely got in a superpi 1m run & 5 Ghz validation. I have to do it again soon to do more 2d & try out some 3d.
Planning to go to it again for the 5450 comp.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20
View Post

Nice!
I think you need to add:

*turn off C1E/CPU functions to keep core speed constant

*get QPI at +4ghz

Looking good for first runs though..you have any issues with condensation?

I had C1E off, just needed Turbo on for 22x multiplier. I left QPI on auto. I'll pay more attention to that on the next run. If I crash because my QPI is too high for my CPU to handle, what voltage setting should I bump?

As for condensation: I had no issue at all. I benched for about 2 hours and I only saw ice form on the tip of the pot. In the morning the kneaded eraser had a few drops here and there, but I cleaned it up with some paper towels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FtW 420
View Post

Nice! You got farther than me on my first (& still only) DICE session. I didn't get much dice & it took me a while to get the acetone/ice mix right & I barely got in a superpi 1m run & 5 Ghz validation. I have to do it again soon to do more 2d & try out some 3d.
Planning to go to it again for the 5450 comp.

Thank you! I used isopropylic alcohol and put just enough to form a small layer of it on the bottom of the pot. Is acetone better for the reaction? Let me know how your sessions go!

·
Dream Chaser
3,767 Posts
OK, me and a buddy are looking to get into Dice and xtreme OC'ing. But my question is if you the DICE pot, did you have separate blocks going to your cpu and then to your RAM and so on and so on, or do you have just one block on your cpu and its enough to chill whole board?? I know it sounds kinda dumb but I am not even a newb as I have never done it before.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Congrats on your first Dice run!! With more sessions you will get better for sure, keep at it!

Try using Everclear next time, it's what I use and it works GREAT!

Use about 1 large shot, or 1-3 inches in the bottom of your pot, gotta have enough so there is room to mix with some of the dice at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpshoooter82
View Post

good luck bro mybe dice your gpu and break some records on hwbot

Thanks mate! A GPU pot is planned, just not sure if I'm getting the GPU pot or a new video card first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfizz84
View Post

OK, me and a buddy are looking to get into Dice and xtreme OC'ing. But my question is if you the DICE pot, did you have separate blocks going to your cpu and then to your RAM and so on and so on, or do you have just one block on your cpu and its enough to chill whole board?? I know it sounds kinda dumb but I am not even a newb as I have never done it before.

Some people get a memory and GPU pot. I only have a CPU pot at the moment so I use that to cool the processor only. The memory doesn't output enough heat that I need to worry about any extra cooling on it. As for the GPU, I only tested 2D in this session. With 3D if I wanted to break records I'd have to get a GPU pot.

You want to insulate the CPU pot as well as you can so it doesn't cool anything else since that'll cause condensation in places you don't want it (like circuits in your board).

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsdmeasap
View Post

Congrats on your first Dice run!! With more sessions you will get better for sure, keep at it!

Try using Everclear next time, it's what I use and it works GREAT!

Use about 1 large shot, or 1-3 inches in the bottom of your pot, gotta have enough so there is room to mix with some of the dice at the bottom.

Thank you!
Hope to get more sessions in soon!

I'm not sure if this picture illustrates it very well, but the pot's base is about 1.5-2 inches thick with 8 holes drilled in the base. I filled those holes with the alcohol and about 1/4" above that too. Next time I'll add another inch. I'm not sure where I can get Everclear. Is there much of a difference compared to 99.9% alcohol?

Thanks for the input man!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I think maybe 1/2" to a inch above your holes would be ok.

Everclear you can get at the liquor store, if you are not old enough your will have to have your parents or someone else pick it up for you. It's really cheap, only $3-4 bucks for a 1/2 pint, and it does not smell as bad as other stuff might and I wasn't sure if you were using alcohol or Acetone (Which can smell bad). I just noticed you are in Brazil, so they may not sell this there? It's 190 Proof alcohol.

I think you might be ok with the alcohol though, 99.9 percent is damn straight alcohol so you are probably good to go with that! Everclear is only 95% so it would not be as good as what you already have anyway, but it might be cheaper and smell better though.

·
Dream Chaser
3,767 Posts
Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the input and great work.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsdmeasap View Post
I think maybe 1/2" to a inch above your holes would be ok.

Everclear you can get at the liquor store, if you are not old enough your will have to have your parents or someone else pick it up for you. It's really cheap, only $3-4 bucks for a 1/2 pint, and it does not smell as bad as other stuff might and I wasn't sure if you were using alcohol or Acetone (Which can smell bad). I just noticed you are in Brazil, so they may not sell this there? It's 190 Proof alcohol.

I think you might be ok with the alcohol though, 99.9 percent is damn straight alcohol so you are probably good to go with that! Everclear is only 95% so it would not be as good as what you already have anyway, but it might be cheaper and smell better though.
Understood! The smell doesn't really bother me since I was benching in an open area. I payed $2 bucks for 200ml of this alcohol so it isn't that expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfizz84 View Post
Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the input and great work.
No problem and thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger
View Post

Understood! The smell doesn't really bother me since I was benching in an open area. I payed $2 bucks for 200ml of this alcohol so it isn't that expensive.

It would probably smell similar to Everclear anyway since they are both about 100% alcohol anyway

$2 sounds cheaper for sure, but you can't drink the left overs

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverShocked
View Post

Acetone and everclear will lower your temps a lot. With alcohol you get like a dice gel, but with acetone the liquid stays really, well, liquidy. XD

Going to experiment with alcohol vs. acetone next time I get ahold of some DICE. I'll fill the pot with the same amount of DICE and put in alcohol and acetone to see which one shows the lowest base temperatures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsdmeasap
View Post

It would probably smell similar to Everclear anyway since they are both about 100% alcohol anyway

$2 sounds cheaper for sure, but you can't drink the left overs

Haha

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cold bug is when it's too cold for the processor to operate and it shuts down. Cold boot bug is when your motherboard decides to be an ass and refuses to POST because it's too cold.

Too bad about your motherboard! How'd you kill it?

By the way: my father just got me another 5KG of DICE so guess it's benching time! Going to test the i5 650 this time. Depending on my progress I might switch to the i7 860 nearing the end. Wish me luck!

·
335is
10,924 Posts
Well a friend at XS told me to heat up the pot and IHS with a blow dryer with the ceramic on and mount the pot, and keep heating it until about seventy degrees and then tighten the pot down to get a good solid mount. Well it was taking to long so I fierd up small ftts and by the time I checked temps it said 80 so I shut prime down but when I looked up black screen of permanent death.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
no need... since your starting at room temp.. just mount the pot with your TIM first...tighten... drop in DICE only. Let it setup for a few minutes...boot into BIOS for temp and monitor voltages... then once your satisfied you have the pot mounted good..and are liking your temps... start to add more DICE and acetone.

this way, if you have a bad mount and crap temps, you can just dump the pot, or put the torch to it to melt the DICE... you add acetone..and I dont recommend you 'heat' it up
[kaboom]!

*you only need to use your friends method when swapping CPU's during your runs...otherwise, the TIM will freeze and you get crap mount!!

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGuru
View Post

Well a friend at XS told me to heat up the pot and IHS with a blow dryer with the ceramic on and mount the pot, and keep heating it until about seventy degrees and then tighten the pot down to get a good solid mount. Well it was taking to long so I fierd up small ftts and by the time I checked temps it said 80 so I shut prime down but when I looked up black screen of permanent death.

Ouch! What I saw rbuass do was he turned the PC on for 5 seconds, pressed the pot hard against the board and perfect mount!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20
View Post

no need... since your starting at room temp.. just mount the pot with your TIM first...tighten... drop in DICE only. Let it setup for a few minutes...boot into BIOS for temp and monitor voltages... then once your satisfied you have the pot mounted good..and are liking your temps... start to add more DICE and acetone.

this way, if you have a bad mount and crap temps, you can just dump the pot, or put the torch to it to melt the DICE... you add acetone..and I dont recommend you 'heat' it up
[kaboom]!

*you only need to use your friends method when swapping CPU's during your runs...otherwise, the TIM will freeze and you get crap mount!!

Even then: I swapped between my Core i5 650 and Core i7 860 during this run and only heating for 5 secs did great for me!

Today's results:
http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...50_5124.93_mhz
http://hwbot.org/community/submissio..._650_18.09_sec
http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...650_8sec_469ms
http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...in_15sec_516ms
http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...min_7sec_265ms
http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...650_9sec_719ms

I didn't manage to play very well with the Core i7 860 since I got tired and ran into a series of problems related to it not wanting to boot at previously fine settings. I think this CPU just isn't very good for overclocking. Took 1.55V VTT and 102MHz PCIE for only 220MHz BCLK.

My brother is sleeping in this room so I can't fire 3D benchmarks up. Too bad I guess..

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
I know this is a little late, but that's some good stuff!

Any reason you're not submitting for OCN?

Also, does that i5 really need that much voltage for those clocks? I thought these guys only needed around 1.5V for 5.0.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts