Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cellphone sized android device that is not a cellphone. I just want something to mod/overclock/experiment with. does anything like this exist?

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by cypher\his
View Post

Archos 7

doesn't say how fast the processor is, and I doubt I could flash it to android 2.2.

·
The Tech Guy
233 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Archos 7

^ That, but android comes in different type of hardware. endless possibilities, you can pick up a cheap android device with like 8'' screen for like $100, and get high end stuff for like $300+, it all really depends on what you want to overclock, i would say get an ipod touch and jailbreak, then install android ( ipod touch 1g, you can pick them up for cheap) and have fun modding, modding iphone/itouches are really fun.

Edit:

You can even install android on a pc (Dual boot) just to play around and get he fell of modding it. could help in the long run.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost55
View Post

doesn't say how fast the processor is, and I doubt I could flash it to android 2.2.

theres like 4 handsets on the planet that can run android 2.2, and they are all cellphones.

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only cellphone with 2.2 is the nexus one. any android phone that has a flashable os can probably run 2.2. I would just need to compile a generic build of 2.2 using the instructions provided by google, and load it on.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

View Post

the only cellphone with 2.2 is the nexus one. any android phone that has a flashable os can probably run 2.2. I would just need to compile a generic build of 2.2 using the instructions provided by google, and load it on.

so buy a g1 used for ~$100 and attempt to install 2.2 on it

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know there a power limitations. also, I don't want a cellphone. I can't afford to have a smart phone right now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I know there a power limitations. also, I don't want a cellphone. I can't afford to have a smart phone right now.

i know what your saying, nothing would make me happier then to be able to screw around with a snapdragon/hummingbird powered little tablet with 2.2.....but i have yet to see one thats not a cellphone

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

View Post

i know what your saying, nothing would make me happier then to be able to screw around with a snapdragon/hummingbird powered little tablet with 2.2.....but i have yet to see one thats not a cellphone

sad but true story: I got approved for a developer model of the tegra 2 board, but can't afford the $400 single unit price.
I really want something like the samsung galaxy s minus the 3g radio.

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dezshiz
View Post

How about a Dell steak?

Dell have said they are gonna give OTA 2.2 update soon...

looks like you will need a plan with a cell carrier to have one. epic looking device though.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I have a Chinese-knockoff of an iPad. It came running Android AND it has USB + SD card ports (more features than the real thing!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts