Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i've seen this question asked around the web, but i still get confliction results. At work ive seen some PC2-5300 EEC ram, but my mobo only support non-eec unbuffered memory. Will the server grade memory work? It's left over ram from a server room. Thanks.

Link to modo - ASUS P5N-E SLI

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You'll need a Xeon for ECC support. I want to say if your CPU supports ECC then it should work, but in all honesty not sure about that on 775 specifically.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got the classic Intel Q6600, but im guessing it doesnt support EEC. I think im going to take 4 of bricks and just see if the computer boots. Its going to be a virtual host, so i need the max memory i can get. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
588 Posts
ECC and non-ECC ram are a different module layout (it was with SDRAM anyway)
im pretty sure the ECC ram will not actually fit into your motherboard

I have like 4gb of ECC DDR ram lieing around somewhere that i dont have a use for as i have no server board, liek 16 sticks of 256mb

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
You do mean ECC not EEC right?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
No ECC Ram will not work on that motherboard, the memory controller is in the chipset on Socket 775, Also I used to have the same motherboard, they almost always have issues with memory if you fill all the dimm slots due to a weak memory controller. with the 4 slots full you will need to raise the northbridge voltage to get it stable, and probably run the ram at a lower speed. First you need Non ECC Ram. Also update to the newest Bios for the board as it improves the ram compatibility a bit

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. I didnt try tu use any of the server ram for the machine, but i am getting 4 dimms from a colleague next week. Thanks for the insight folks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts