Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stable , no boot into windows and cpuid bs.

I see everyone bragging about the K series but so what .. thats already old news. Lets hear some real oldschool tech overclocking on a locked multi if they are the real deal.

Are they getting anywhere near the K's? I know it makes no sense to choose the non K considering the price but just wanna hear if the results are as impressive.

·
Premium Member
6,002 Posts
Well, I've seen a max of 107 BCLK only JUST stable.

So that's a MAX of 3.6GHz for the 2600 and 3.5GHz for the 2500.

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
I think the main thing is that the K processors clock so much higher than the non-K processors, there really is no point to getting a non-K. I have yet to find anyone who has bought one here on OCN.

So, I am curious too, but I did read somewhere that it's not possible to put the passed ~105MHz on the BCLK or else it won't boot or something. I wish I knew where I found this.

·
Iconoclast
31,012 Posts
Everything I've read states you can set the max turbo multiplier, and shift the BCLK a few MHz, but that's it. The Ks can clock several hundred MHz higher.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Another thing is on the non K chips your overclock scales with the core utilization. So if you are only using 1 core then your OC will be higher than with all 4 cores active.
sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-p67,8-5-275045-13.jpg

So that looks like the highest you can get with all 4 cores active is around 3.8. Probably give or take a little more depending on if you can get your BCLK up a few more MHz.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
I'm certainly no engineer or whatever, by my brain just thinks that the board manufacturers must be able to limit or throttle or something the parts(usb and what else?) that are not used when overclocking the bclk that seem to go haywire with the current way it works. Probably not even remotely possible, I have no idea how this actually works lol.

*edit* I was really looking forward for a sandy version of the i3's, shame we didn't get one, specially for the low budg folk.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Im sure Intel didn't do this on purpose to screw us overclockers. Its not like K series are expensive.

·
Iconoclast
31,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea;11955796
I'm certainly no engineer or whatever, by my brain just thinks that the board manufacturers must be able to limit or throttle or something the parts(usb and what else?) that are not used when overclocking the bclk that seem to go haywire with the current way it works. Probably not even remotely possible, I have no idea how this actually works lol.
Mobo makers likely can't do much.

The clock generator is supposed to be integrated into the CPU now, and Intel has evidently made no provisions to uncouple most clocks from the BCLK.

Up BCLK and you up PCI-E clocks and DMI clocks. Most PCI-E cards can't handle more that 105-110MHz PCI-E and the DMI clock controls pretty much everything in the chipset, most of which will also crap out around the same low speeds.

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea;11955796
*edit* I was really looking forward for a sandy version of the i3's, shame we didn't get one, specially for the low budg folk.
The i3 should be out in February.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraNova;11956016
The i3 should be out in February.
But from what I understand, none of them will be K chips, or does the K designation only belong to the i5s/7s? So like the i3-2100(T) is that the unlocked designator for these particular chips, or like before, Ks across the board mean the only clockers

*edit* I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with this stuff, but haven't heard of anything but the big boys as of yet. Was really hoping to build a zippy i3 1155 build this spring, not looking like its gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea;11956206
*edit* I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with this stuff, but haven't heard of anything but the big boys as of yet. Was really hoping to build a zippy i3 1155 build this spring, not looking like its gonna happen.
No dice. Absolutely no multiplier or Turbo overclocking on the new i3's which means overclocked Clarkdales should easily outperform the 2nd gen i3.

K = unlocked
S = low power
T = very low power

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBcobra;11955827
Im sure Intel didn't do this on purpose to screw us overclockers. Its not like K series are expensive.
that's what I was thinking. Honestly, it's because of the intel graphics chip they put on the CPU is tied to that 100bclk. and it's better than the $1,000 they use to charge for unlocked processors.

i guess they learned from what AMD has been doing.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin.kerr
View Post

after reading this thread, I find it odd how the 2400 and 2500 non K models have been overclocking to 4Ghz+

Really??? where is the proof to this??? the only thing that can be changed on NON-K is BCLK. Highest I have seen is 107, the multiplier remains the same and can not be modified.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Quote:

View Post

look around for yourself, lots of them all capping out at 4.0 + Ghz, max multi seems to be 38 ATM
most look something like this, lol, as long as you know how to get highest multi's.

http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...00_4068.04_mhz

...Clearly a K model.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Quote:

View Post

look around for yourself, lots of them all capping out at 4.0 + Ghz, max multi seems to be 38 ATM
most look something like this, lol, as long as you know how to get highest multi's.

http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...00_4068.04_mhz

^Shows how some people just read the first few lines, or even only the title, of and article

Look in the CPU-Z pic. - it's CLEARLY a 2500k

1 - 20 of 24 Posts