Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to overclock my i5-6600 non K.

http://imgur.com/a/k1vh1

It runs MechWarriorOnline fine and I suspect its because the 4-15 minutes games and then the engines slacks off between the games in the hangar. But if I run continuous engines like Witcher 3 or Roller Coaster Tycoon World, I sometimes get a matrix sounding deep freeze. Even reset wont work. I need to hold power button for 5 seconds.

Also, I got this worrying spike on voltage:

http://imgur.com/a/k1vh1

And I notice that the North Bridge, witch was running at stock 3.300, bumped up to follow the CPU at 4200. So, I wonder about the appropriate cooling, or if its ok (33% OC, no special cooling?)

Feel free to discuss. Data on the subject feels outdated and scarce. Questions should be :

- What kind of impact will there be on the Z170 Chipset if you OC? Do you use special cooling for your chipset?

- What performence did you manage to get?

- What voltage do you use?

- What about your ram? Witch one do you use? 4 sticks or 2 sticks? What speed can you reach? What voltage do yo use?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
That voltage spike does not look right. Can you check if it does it on another program such as HWiNFO64? Cooling the chipset with a fan is not required even when overclocking.

Here this table may be useful to you for recommended Skylake voltages:

It's always best to use two ram sticks instead of four especially when overclocking RAM. Less stress on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller).

So for example, it's always better to get 2 x 8 gigabyte sticks than 4 x 4 gigabyte sticks. For a motherboard that uses dual channel memory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the chart. It is good to have solid data these parameters to avoid a costly mistake!
thumb.gif

I should have bought 2x8 sticks when i got this rig but i cheaped out and got 2x4, thinking I would later on get another 2x4, witch I did. Guess its too late now, i'll sell the kit and fetch a 2x8 later on if it really becomes a hindrance.

I played Witcher 3 for about 20 minutes last night and the system did not crash. I'll keep monitoring that voltage though : the most unsettling thing is that I was doing light surfing when the spike occurred. Strange.

I will begin trials for the system shortly and fill up the benchmark section in my profile as the week goes.

Real bench 2.42

NO OC : 39587
OC :56356

A 42% increase in score with OC on.

Super Pi
NO OC : 9m35s (32M)
OC : 7m53.218 (32M)

A 20% increase in score

Cinebench
NO OC : CPU 547cb / Single Core 151cb / 3,63x MpRatio
OC : 457cb / Single core 176cb / 2,60x MpRatio

(What do those numbers even mean? I know it seemed faster...)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'm guessing the Cinebench score went down as you said: 547cb non-OC then 458cb OC which is weird. Your single score has improved though. The mpratio seems to be calculated by comparing CPU and single core. E.g 547cb 151cb.

For SuperPi, lower time means better score.

Realbench non-OC compared to OC definitely improved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still doing tests but I did notice that weird VCore voltage spike but this time it was a drop. It occured every 25 minutes or so during benchmarks.

I bumped Vcore voltage to 1.28 and for the first time increase Ram voltage from 1.35 to 1.352.

During Firemark testing and during MechWarrior Online game play, my Vcore had 2 spikes in voltage again, going to 0,5 to 0,95. Also, I noticed a dip in voltage for the VTT controller from 1,15 to about 0,75.

Maybe it is my ram that is clocked too fast for 4 sticks installed. I will attempt to dial it down from 2775 to 2500ish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts