Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most recent episode had a HUGE incorrect part in it, it said that the nursery rhyme Ring Around the Rosie was about the bubonic plague. It is not.

I know this doesn't really matter but I just wanted people to not be ill-informed. As family guy has a tendency to perpetuate false rumors and myths as the truth.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink View Post
The most recent episode had a HUGE incorrect part in it, it said that the nursery rhyme Ring Around the Rosie was about the bubonic plague. It is not.

I know this doesn't really matter but I just wanted people to not be ill-informed. As family guy has a tendency to perpetuate false rumors and myths as the truth.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp
I don't remember Family Guy ever being a factual show. Anyways, I was told by teachers back in high school that it was about the plague lol it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by moocowman
View Post

I don't remember Family Guy ever being a factual show. Anyways, I was told by teachers back in high school that it was about the plague lol it makes sense to me.

But its not about the plague
Thats the point and yes I know Family Guy isn't a factual show but the average american is a stooge and thinks what they see on TV is true.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink
View Post

But its not about the plague
Thats the point and yes I know Family Guy isn't a factual show but the average american is a stooge and thinks what they see on TV is true.

lol I really hope the average american wouldn't believe something they see in a cartoon. I was told this by a history teacher however, which the average student would listen to. This bit of misinformation has been around for quite time, so I don't really see family guy saying it as a big deal.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by venom55520
View Post

do ho ho, yes us dumb americans take family guy as the truth.

You would probably be surprised what the average american believes.

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoo861
View Post

PS: Black Plague=Black Death=Bubonic Plague. Just as a side note. The name Black Plague stems from the color of the lesions in the advanced stages of the disease, caused by necrosis. The name Bubonic Plague is derived from the "buboes", or swollen lymph nodes the disease causes.

I thought they was just being racist.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by firestormcomputers View Post
Your link supports Family Guy, I am confused as to what you think the song is about.
Are you um...looking at the same link I am?

Claim: The Nursery rhyme 'Ring Around the Rosie' is a coded reference to the Black Plague.

Yea, I don't think we are.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Whenever I need consistent, reliable information, I always turn to the internet.

Personally I think there is sufficient grammatical evidence in the British English version (that would be the one with plague references, instead of the American English version) to warrant this theory. The problem of it not being written down isnt really a problem at all, just simply a fact of dealing with history of the 17th century and before. Saying that if this rhyme existed and we must have written proof is completely and utterly incorrect. If this were the case, you can bet we would have, for example, any and all of the thousands of plays that were performed in any castle in England in that time period, instead of merely records of the fact that the players visited this location on this date. Or we would have a record of where the Mayflower came from. Instead, we have nothing except analysis and intellectual guesswork to go on. Its not ridiculous to think that this rhyme did have something to do with the plague.

I do this kind of historical work as a part of my major.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts