Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to stream video for long periods of time while keeping record of it? How would one build something like that in a house where you want to monitor what's going on.

Like in paranormal activity, set up a camera in the corner of a room and have it stream and record data longer than 1 month.

- motion activated
- once triggered would record for 30 minutes or so and stops
- saves the recording on a hd, doesn't have to be of good quality

etc..?

·
Registered
771 Posts
  1. for motion trigger,you will need motion sensors.either built in with the camera or a circuit/mechanism that starts the camera when the motion sensor is triggered.
  2. software.security companies have it.google it.you may find a good one.
  3. again you will need either a cctv hooked up to a pc/recording device.if its something like a handycam placed in a corner,look out for cams that can directly record on your laptop/pc.if you add motion sensing to it,it will turn out to be very expensive.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
There are software solutions that will do what you want.
I found one program that uses a regular camera and will only record when motion is detected. i will see if I can find it (I was looking into something similar for a security camera).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have made a simpler version of what you want. I wanted to have a camera, motion activated to catch anything moving in my garden. I just got hold of an old laptop, plugged in a USB webcam, and used a free piece of software to track motion. Although what you want is better quality than mine, you could still modify that setup to make it work. E.g add an external hard drive or have it save across your network to a tower PC with more storage. You could even just use a HD webcam instead of a video camera for relatively cheap(even though you dont want it). Hope this gives you an idea...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts