Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a completely noob to this overclocking buisness, but that doesnt mean I can not listen or follow instructions.
biggrin.gif
I just wanna do some overclocking on my system and need help/guide to do this step by step.

All information is in the rig thing down below, but here it is again:
-Athlon II X4 645 (Propus) 3.1Ghz
-msi k9n6pgm2-v2
-Silver Stone ST50-ES (power supply)
-no realydetail on memory but it is a Kingston 4GB DDR2 its PC2-6400/800mhz

dont know if my gpu needs to be put out but just incase ASUS 7770-2DG5

I know i can overclock because i changed the FSB from 200 to 201 and the speed went from 3.1Ghz to 3.12 and of course the dram speed went up and it went to 804 i believe.

So i just need some help on what to do now.

Theres also other stuff in the BIOS like cpu fan speed and temp, right now at idle its on 43C fromw hat i saw in bios, um, not sure what else i need to say, but
HELP AND Appercciate your time.

I also need to know if i need to download any software if i need to do any CPU testing or not. or anything else really, jus tlet me know. So now i wait:)

P.S. I KNOW THE MONITOR IS OLD from like 2003. But ain't broke dont fix it.

EDIT: Thanks for the help guys, I got it to 3.5Ghz, it went BSoD at 3.6 but now 2 hours in "burning it in" got a while to go. So far so good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well since i got no reply yet, I increased the FSB from 200 to 210. So far it is stable, Ram went from 800 to 840, though when I tried to load after i changed the settings nothing happened. So i turned computer off and back on then it booted normally? Could this be a sign? I restarted it to see it will work, worked fine. The timing ratio things, are at 6/6/6/12, but i am not sure if this is due to the 2T, the 2 cycle delay.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Ram also gets overclocked when you increase the bus speed so it usually prevents you from overclocking further

Since you're probably using kingston valueram DDR2 800 (PC2-6400)
You should lower it the ram multiplier to 667 or 533 in bios.

That will give you some headroom to overclock the cpu higher. 3.5ghz should be easy for your athlon
Here are some guides http://www.overclock.net/t/792461/amd-overclocking-guides-essential-threads

*Also please fill in the specs of your entire computer so we can help you better.

At the top right corner of the website, click rig builder, and build your rig.
After that, go to top of website and click Profile, scroll to the bottom and edit your signature. Then choose the your rig for the signature

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have all the specs, but I dont understand how it isn't showing? Mind telling me how i get it there. I did the rigbuilder thing already. And what do you mean by ram multiplier?

I did a prime95 stress test, it went up to 50C

EDIT: Nevermind got it, but i still dont know what you mean by ram multiplier.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Basically you need to drop the RAM speed down a setting and adjust the HT link speed multiplier to try and keep it around 2000. What I used to do with my Athlon 640 is whack the FSB up to where I wanted it, usually 230-240. Then drop the RAM speed to 533 from 667, drop the HT multiplier to 8x or 9x and drop the northbridge multiplier to 9x . (Northbridge multiplier can be left alone though)

That's what I did, but I'm by no means a pro overclocker
tongue.gif
It should give you some idea on what to do though. You'll probably want to get a new CPU cooler too, the stock chunk of aluminium isn't great.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well im not sure why, but the mem is at 767Mhz? Everything is working fine, cpu is at 3.57Ghz i ran some test, nothing going on, should just let the memory be? Cause i dont think it being 40mhz slower than what it should be will harm the system? The memory timing seems to be fine from what i concur?

So I will stop here, if you guys think i should do anything else let me know, I will go back to defaults, and run it back at these settings to see if it all work. Do more test, let it run at these settings for a week.

But overall thank you.

3.1Ghz to 3.3 to 3.4 to 3.57Ghz
biggrin.gif

I might get a new cooler, but I wont be going any higher than this any time soon. My cpu hardly reaches any higher than 50C anyway. Barely reaches 40C on when gaming. Unless its Planetside 2.
I'll post some updates on how its going if there is nothing else i should do.

I will sadly though, since summer is coming, might have to tune things down a notch if all goes well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after 5 Hours of reading and testing, I got my cpu overclocked form 3.1 to 3.59Ghz even, and everything else is where it should be, all stable, Stress test makes my cpu go no higher than 55C, ran some games at below 40C, I will let you guy sknow if anyone is interested, how it all turns out later.

Thank you all, have a nice day/week.

Windows Experince Index gave my cpu score AND memory a new score from 7.3 to 7.4 heh xD so I guess even windows 7 can tell the difference.

P.S. Partly so cool due to the cold breeze coming through the open window xD

·
Registered
171 Posts
That board will be disgusting for overclocking. You should be careful to not blow those uncooled VRMs by drawing too much CPU power. I believe this board only supports 95W max CPU TDP. I do feel bad for dissing what was my first ever motherboard that I bought for a self-built PC, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha, i guess XD, i wish i had money for a new one. A good $50 dollar one would do, but no money
frown.gif
But yea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts