Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have slight noob'ish question that I thought the OC elite on here would be more than capable of answering, so here goes.

I want to know what's the best way to split up my data among my drives and why.

What I mean is, I have 2 SSD's and a bunch of HDD's. Obviously the HDD's are used for general storage, but what's the best setup for my SSD's?

Main data is: OS (Windows), work files/data, programs and applications and games.

I figured I would have OS and work files on one, and programs and games on the other. Is that a bad idea?

A third option would be to get another SSD, but would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks bros.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo_soldier View Post

And we have no idea how to answer without knowing the sizes of the drives.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

And we have no idea how to answer without knowing the sizes of the drives.
My apologies.

Crucial M4 256GB and a Samsung Evo 840 250GB.

EDIT:
I'm most likely overthinking this. Would just like to know if I should put my docs with my OS and apps with games, or if there's a better way to structure it.

Perhaps it doesn't matter, but thought i'd ask before I go ahead.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Most basically, you don't want to do a lot of writes to an SSD. They get "used up".
Like you shouldn't put a page file on an SSD.

There's an excellent guide here on SSDs. You should read a few so you know what you're doing. They're not like a HDD (set and forget!).

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Do OS, programs, files on the the C drive and games on D? It really doesn't matter....I have OS and programs on C, files on D, and Photos on E, and Games on F.

Quote:

Most basically, you don't want to do a lot of writes to an SSD. They get "used up".

There's an excellent guide here on SSDs. You should read a few so you know what you're doing. They're not like a HDD (set and forget!).
Why not put page file on the SSD? That is old advice that doesn't pertain to 95% of users.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
That's kind of a personal question... lol How I have mine set is how I like it. Everyone else has their own opinions.

I keep my OS and apps on my SSD, games on my 1TB Barracuda and then all of my media (all video, mp3 and images) goes on my 2TB Hitachi.

Works for me.

·
Politically incorrect
9,463 Posts
The way I'd do it is this:
Drive I
C - Windows 80GB
D - Games REST

Drive II
E - Games 150GB
F - Important files REST

Right now I have 50GB free on this SSD of mine which has a usable space of 111GB. So you don't need to assign more than 80 to Windows.

For redundancy I would not put important files on C even if it means splitting games over two SSD's. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I do not leave anything on my Windows drive, not one single file, they're backed up on all three of my HD's in their own partitions of roughly the same size. In the future I intend to get another 3TB HD and I will back all my important files on that again too, so I'll have four backups.
Quote:

This information is entirely incorrect as SSD's official endurance is conservative at best and some (Samsung's for example) have read/write endurance that is at least 3x what is advertised.

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Modern SSDs have been shown to be able to do as much as 100 TBs of writing until they start to have problems.

If you have a regular HDD, then put media and games that don't have long load times on it. Then put all your programs and such on your SSD. Don't worry about life expectancy because by the time they start to break down, you'll have something new to use like PCIe SSD or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts