Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN Photographers (of which there seem to be a surprising FEW) ..

Since I've been recently getting into a lot of sightseeing and traveling, I have wanted to start getting in to decent photography. I have my nice digital, pocket camera, but I'm ready for a real, manual focus, high quality camera.

But I am NOT ready for a big, nice, awesome.. FRAGILE camera.

i need a camera that has AWESOME bang for buck value, is portable, and can take pictures that I can have for my own personal use.

I'm not looking to get into it commercially. I just would like to do it as a hobby. My pocket camera is good for drunken nights and pictures with friends. I need a camera good for drives off into nowhere

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
The Nikon D40 is a good starter D-SLR. It doesn't have auto focus built into the body but it can accept lenses with AF. Most new lenses have AF anyways. I think you can get the kit for around $400 or somewhere near that. I bought a D80 a while ago and haven't spent enough time with it to learn what everything does.

I don't know how portable you need it to be, but its the smallest and lightest in the range.

·
Streamer
476 Posts
I would also recommend the D40, the Starter Olympus models, Both are great beginner cameras for the money you spend.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Are you looking for a DSLR or no?
If you are, I'd recommend Canon or Nikon strongly.
Personally I'm a Canon fan, but I respect Nikon too

You mentioned manual focus, does that make a camera high quality in your opinion? Yes, all DSLR lenses should have manual focus capabilities, but the auto focus is usually very fast, and even better on higher end lenses with higher speed motors.

And as far as fragile, if you get into the higher tier of models, many have steel bodies, probably more durable than most point and shoot cameras.

I used to sell cameras, and have a good amount of experience with all sorts of cameras, lens, and accessories, but I've been out of the market for maybe 2 years, so off the top of my head I can't tell you good current models.

Tell us a price range, and maybe some more specifics and I'll try to point you in a good direction, as well as finding my old sites for camera and lens reviews.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally, I have a Canon Rebel XT, which for a camera, for the people who really dont know how to put the perfect manual settings, the camera knows how to take very good auto setting photo's.

and its very easy to carry around, being light

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what DSLR is or anything.

It doesn't need to fit in a bookbag or briefcase or anything. It needs to be portable as in, If I went hiking for a few miles, I don't want it to drag me down lol. Portable as in I can turn it on, and click the button to take a picture.

And I HATE all auto-focus on cameras. I can't stand it on camcorders or photo cameras.. I like that control.

·
Registered
607 Posts

is a sample of a typical SLR body, DSLR being a digital version.
They have removable lenses, and typically full manual controls of exposure, shutter speed, aperture, film speed (ISO for digital), and presets for flash timings.

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts
okay, so from my understanding you have a nice pocket camera and want something like an entry level SLR, correct?
if so my main recommendation would be a Nikon D40 or D60, or Canon rebel XSI

your best bet on decided is to visit a local camera shop and try them out, i personally like the ergonomics and menu system of the nikon (d70s) more then the available canon models at the time and thats what sold me.

from one to the other picture quality will be VERY comparable, so the thing is make sure you like the feel of the camera before you buy it.

and something that Equetefue said as i respect his opinion very much when it comes to photography is

Quote:

Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
Shooting Tele most of the time Canon is winner

If shooting on lower end Nikon is winner unless you have a 1DmkIII's

so i guess it comes down to ergonomics and wether you are primarally looking for zoom or wide angle shots.

good luck

·
Registered
607 Posts
if you want to step it up, avoid kits - i.e. a body and a basic lens, and buy a body, and find a better quality lens. The average 18-55mm lens that is usually bundled with the camera body is crappy.
Like Schubie said, go play with them and then you'll have a better idea of what you want and like. Or you'll end up being totally overwhelmed

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by j_syk View Post
if you want to step it up, avoid kits - i.e. a body and a basic lens, and buy a body, and find a better quality lens. The average 18-55mm lens that is usually bundled with the camera body is crappy.
Like Schubie said, go play with them and then you'll have a better idea of what you want and like. Or you'll end up being totally overwhelmed

thanks for the backup, but i would have to disagree with the bolded text.
the kit lens that comes with the d40 (the 18-55mm II) is apparently a bit improved from the original which was a great lens especially for 100 bucks.
the build quality is good, distortion is minimal, all around a pretty great little lens.

the limiting factor came with the small size, small thread size and non-internal focus limited what filters and adapters could be used with it.

great little guy for starting on a budget

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ok, I'm too long out of this game to really say much and I always knew more about Canon. The lens bundled with most Rebels is junk. If nikon is including an upgraded lens now, more props to them.
IMO the camera is limited by the lens, and having a $1000+ camera deserves a better quality lens.
But that really depends on the budget of the buyer. And we really don't know the price range the OP is looking for.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by j_syk View Post
Ok, I'm too long out of this game to really say much and I always knew more about Canon. The lens bundled with most Rebels is junk. If nikon is including an upgraded lens now, more props to them.
IMO the camera is limited by the lens, and having a $1000+ camera deserves a better quality lens.
But that really depends on the budget of the buyer. And we really don't know the price range the OP is looking for.
Nowhere in the 100 range.

Perhaps the 500 and below range.

As low as I can go.

I would prefer DSLR, as I'd probably do a little bit of enhancing with them in photoshop, and turning pictures into backgrounds. I wouldn't probably be doing a lot of zoom shots, just because I'm a fan of landscapes, and some close range pictures.

I don't want anything too fancey. I want a good starter kit, to see if I really would have a good use for a more expensive one, and to see if I want it to be a major hobby of mine. I have a ton of hobbies as it is..

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your help guys

I'm gunna do some research on these models, and maybe head to the nearest photography place around here

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I actually just bought my first dslr and I can say I like it very much check it out its a little old but cheap I got the sony alpha a-100 I like it and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon and I think this will do the job until I need to step up in a few years

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
This is exactly the type of thread I was looking to see.

I'm about to get my first DSLR camera tomorrow or the next day. I'm getting a 5 month of Nikon D40, with standard 15-55mm lens it comes with new, and 2 2GB cards, a carry bag, and info guide. all for $375. the guy says it's perfect, has a 2000 camera that he now uses daily. and he takes great great care of his stuff. I'm new to this, but it's always been a want, and a hobby. I've heard that the D40 is one of the best priced entry level camera's. So thats what I'm getting, and I've heard it will blow away the similar priced SLR-like camera's like a Sony DSC-h10, H50 type of thing. So I'm getting the D40.

I don't wanna take away from his thread, and I already have one going in the official OCN camera thread. but this info is pretty correct right. the D40 will take care of me well. and Is it the type of Camera I can drive off with. Pull out and take a shot fast and easy without knowing EVERYTHING about camera's. then come home, plug her in and load up on my PC. if so then thats what I want. and the versatility to add better lens later.

what do you all think.
Thanks guys!

edit* and to the OP. check Craigslist.org as camera's have a large group of owners always upgrading. Thats where I'm getting my good deal on this D40.. So Good Luck.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Don't dismiss the Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens too quickly, it has improved a lot with its latest version.
It is certainly enough to get you started until you know exactly where you want to take your photography.

Above all make sure you buy from a reputable dealer- if a deal looks a lot cheaper than from stores such as B&H, Adorama, Calumet etc then it is probably a scam.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts