Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience with water cooling, what is the main benefit going H2O when heatpiped heatsinks (such as TRUE) just few degrees off?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 View Post
I have no experience with water cooling, what is the main benefit going H2O when heatpiped heatsinks (such as TRUE) just few degrees off?
A few degrees? A good LCS will smash a TRUE easily.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,158 Posts
At 4Ghz, 1.62v, I'm loading at 55C. Let's see a TRUE do that.


But to answer your question, yes it is worth it (imo).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
At 4Ghz, 1.62v, I'm loading at 55C. Let's see a TRUE do that.


But to answer your question, yes it is worth it (imo).
^ This.

~Gooda~
 

·
Overclock? What?
Joined
·
3,240 Posts
It is not cost effective lol but it does keep your cpu ice cold and is very addicting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Good water cooling will produce temps no HSF can even dream of. Cost effective? not really
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
not cost effective....

the best watercooling setup is 400$ +++ thats a 4850x2..
ya if you want to watercool cpu gfx nb mosfets and sb.
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Depends on who you ask. Water cooling is best for either total silence, extreme overcloking without risk of condensation, or a good balance of both.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,481 Posts
Watercooling does not need to be expensive, mine is cheap $ wise because I built everything but the pump. Labor is a different story, we'll call that a hobby.
WC really shines under extreme ambient temps where air may not be able to keep up with your overclock and you may have to back it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
At 4Ghz, 1.62v, I'm loading at 55C. Let's see a TRUE do that.


But to answer your question, yes it is worth it (imo).
Ok... Dude...let see your setting better that 52° Load on Prime under 3,9Ghz quad Q9450 with T.R.U.E.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklotusul View Post
Ok... Dude...let see your setting better that 52° Load on Prime under 3,9Ghz quad Q9450 with T.R.U.E.....

You're not putting 1.62v through that chip...

~Gooda~
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklotusul View Post
Ok... Dude...let see your setting better that 52° Load on Prime under 3,9Ghz quad Q9450 with T.R.U.E.....

Yes, let's compare a 65nm quad to a 45nm quad when it comes to heat and power consumption.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,470 Posts
Sound Levels. Performance. PIMP Status. How many people do you know in real life that can say they have a water cooled PC? Hell my mom brags about mine to her friends lmao. No lie. They all think I'm crazy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whe3ls View Post
ya if you want to watercool cpu gfx nb mosfets and sb.
Hah I wish. see bellow

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklotusul View Post
Ok... Dude...let see your setting better that 52° Load on Prime under 3,9Ghz quad Q9450 with T.R.U.E.....

What you just said is completely useless.. Because neither you or him posted ambient temperature. So for all we know he got that temperate with a 50c ambient and you got yours with a 20c ambient.

My watercooling system cost me $542 dollars with tax. Albeit its a higher end one, but I got most of my parts used, and I only bought from the stores with the least expensive price. My system is a CPU,GPU,NB Loop.

It is kind of one of those one time buys, like a monitor were you basically only buy one every couple of years.. A good watercooling system can last forever if well taken care of. And it can easily go from any platform with an inexpensive mount change.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
How can anyone say this is not cost effective? I would say a couple hundred for keeping your rig safe from overheating when your pumping that much juice through it is very cost effective...also take mid-range rig and make it preform like a high end rig for only the cost of a WC loop that is also very cost effective...I guess if you just want it to look cool in your case and you don't overclock then yes it would be not cost effective. Anyone that says its not cost effective just doesn't know what a good loop can do for you. Some people pay hundreds for a loop just to say they have a rig on water. I paid way less for my loop by being crafty and learning all I could about it before shelling out tuns of money for it.

Cost effective? HELLS YES and fun to boot!
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blacklotusul
View Post

Ok... Dude...let see your setting better that 52° Load on Prime under 3,9Ghz quad Q9450 with T.R.U.E.....


What are your ambients? I bet you have like a delta T of 20-25C while Gir has a delta T of less than 15C. Also, Gir has a 65nm Q6600 versus your new 45nm Q9450. Try thinking before you post please.

Quote:


Originally Posted by DIRTYDUCK
View Post

How can anyone say this is not cost effective? I would say a couple hundred for keeping your rig safe from overheating when your pumping that much juice through it is very cost effective...also take mid-range rig and make it preform like a high end rig for only the cost of a WC loop that is also very cost effective...I guess if you just want it to look cool in your case and you don't overclock then yes it would be not cost effective. Anyone that says its not cost effective just doesn't know what a good loop can do for you. Some people pay hundreds for a loop just to say they have a rig on water. I paid way less for my loop by being crafty and learning all I could about it before shelling out tuns of money for it.

Cost effective? HELLS YES and fun to boot!

Versus me who learned though experience and stupidty.
Hey, on the bright side, people will now benefit through my past mistakes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
I am sure you have had more fun figuring it out for yourself but there is a price to pay for that.
All you really have to do is spend a couple of good weeks reading up on water cooling and find some of the "what is the best water cooling kit" threads. Those have great info in them...They always explain why NOT to buy a kit and in doing so the pro's will put a epic water cooling loop together for you. One you will be proud of, where as with a kit you will feel buyers remorse almost instantly. I took all this WC stuff a half step further and saved a good amount of money building a Bong cooler. Not only did I save money but I get better temps then just a normal WC loop. This takes a bit more reading and some easy hand tool building but it was super easy and way too much fun.
all you need is a pump and a block...the rest of it cost 30-40 bucks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,891 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blacklotusul
View Post

Ok... Dude...let see your setting better that 52° Load on Prime under 3,9Ghz quad Q9450 with T.R.U.E.....


LOL well if you wanna get technical your cooling is via water/phase change/and air.

Where as a water cooling system is really water/air cooling

But anyways air cooling will not get near the delta T that water will unless you have a very very poor water cooling system.

Also you dont need a $400 dollar system. You spend about $200 or $150 and you can cool the cpu very very well.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top