Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to OC my barebone rig with a locked Barton 2500, set the memory timing to 2-2-2-11, and jacked up the FSB to 200 from stock 133. However, when I run Prime95, it says this:

CPU Speed: 1152MHz FSB: 100MHz [100MHz x 11.5 est.]

That just didn't look right to me when I saw it....can anyone give me an explanation or is this correct?

Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobmd
I'm trying to OC my barebone rig with a locked Barton 2500, set the memory timing to 2-2-2-11, and jacked up the FSB to 200 from stock 133. However, when I run Prime95, it says this:

CPU Speed: 1152MHz FSB: 100MHz [100MHz x 11.5 est.]

That just didn't look right to me when I saw it....can anyone give me an explanation or is this correct?

Thanks.
seems to me that the rating you changed to 200 was the DDR equiv speed (100MHz in reality) this would explain the 100 MHZ of your fsb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

seems to me that the rating you changed to 200 was the DDR equiv speed (100MHz in reality) this would explain the 100 MHZ of your fsb

What do you suggest I move the FSB up to next? Also, every time I change the BIOS settings do I need to reset my CMOS jumper?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
No. resetting your CMOS jumper is only for when you can't go in your BIOS due to high OCing. Clearing CMOS will set bios to default.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobmd

What do you suggest I move the FSB up to next? Also, every time I change the BIOS settings do I need to reset my CMOS jumper?

If you reset the cmos, you void all the changes you made. Thats probably why it's not showing any overclock.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobmd
What do you suggest I move the FSB up to next? Also, every time I change the BIOS settings do I need to reset my CMOS jumper?
Have u been resetting the jumper? if so this is the cause of your Oc.ing roblems - this resets the fsb to default (usually lowest) and on processors with multiplier adjustment it changes the multiplier to default.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I haven't reset the jumper yet. Just anticipating a possible shutdown. I will reset my memory timings to default and download the CPU-Z. Anyone have any thoughts on what FSB I should try running my comp at? I have it set at 200 right now. My goal is to push my gaming experience as high as possible. My ATI Tool says I have 186 fps. On Counterstrike-Source I am only getting a measly 56 fps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CPU-Z Results:

Core Speed: 1152.6 MHz
Multiplier: x11.5
FSB: 100.2 MHz
Bus Speed: 200.5 MHz

Memory Timings: 2-2-2-4 (Weird- I had it set at 2-2-2-11).....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not understanding why I am getting only 1150 MHz out of my 2500 Barton CPU. This is why I am a noob!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I was having a very similar problem and discovered I had a jumper set to "safe mode" (= 100 MHz FSB REGARDLESS of what speed the BIOS is set to). When I changed that jumper to "User mode" (quoted as FSB 133/166 MHz in the documentation), I got the clock speeds I expected. I'm even running the FSB at 200MHz now, which I think you should be able to do as well with your Barton chip. Perhaps your board is similar to mine, with a hardware jumper...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,702 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobmd

CPU-Z Results:

Core Speed: 1152.6 MHz
Multiplier: x11.5
FSB: 100.2 MHz
Bus Speed: 200.5 MHz

Memory Timings: 2-2-2-4 (Weird- I had it set at 2-2-2-11).....

your fsb is at 100 thats why it is running at 1100mhz, make sure the jumper on your mobo is wher eit is supposed to be, then increase your fsb to 200 from 100 and it should run at 2200mhz approx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Sorry noob. I posted my previous reply before I read your note in my thread. I went to shuttle's website and downloaded the user manual for your board. There are 3 listings for SN45G: SN45G, SN45G v3, and SN45G v3 RAID. Which do you have? I looked at the manuals for the first 2, and the BIOS settings options appear to be the same.

It sounds like you've already adjusted the "FSB Frequency" field (to 200MHz). I assume you have changed the "System Performance" field, but just in case, be sure you have changed its default setting from "Optimal" (which is actually the safest/slowest setting!), to "Aggressive/Turbo" (try that first) or "Expert". Also, be sure you have changed the default setting for the "CPU Interface" field from "Optimal" to "Aggressive".

If you don't have the manual for your board, go here:

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...asp?Item=SN45G

The links for the manuals for each of the 3 board versions are at the bottom of that page. Hope this helps, and sorry if you've already tried all of this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
go into your BIOS
Change the system performance option to expert
Change the FSB frequency to 166MHZ (this will give you 25000+ speeds)
or u could change it to 200MHz (this will OC ur Processor to 3200+ - U may have to add xtra voltage to it)
then change memory frequency to AUTO
Save and restart - do not remove the CMOS Jumper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

go into your BIOS
Change the system performance option to expert
Change the FSB frequency to 166MHZ (this will give you 25000+ speeds)
or u could change it to 200MHz (this will OC ur Processor to 3200+ - U may have to add xtra voltage to it)
then change memory frequency to AUTO
Save and restart - do not remove the CMOS Jumper

This is exactly what I have done, plus I set the memory timings to 2-3-3-8. However, whenever I boot up, BIOS still says that I am running an "unknown processor at 1150 MHz", also says I am in safe mode and have to press F1 to continue. When I run CPU-Z, it also says that I am running my FSB only at 100 MHz, not the 205 that I set it at. For some reason, my settings aren't taking effect....

Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by bigtalk

Sorry noob. I posted my previous reply before I read your note in my thread. I went to shuttle's website and downloaded the user manual for your board. There are 3 listings for SN45G: SN45G, SN45G v3, and SN45G v3 RAID. Which do you have? I looked at the manuals for the first 2, and the BIOS settings options appear to be the same.

It sounds like you've already adjusted the "FSB Frequency" field (to 200MHz). I assume you have changed the "System Performance" field, but just in case, be sure you have changed its default setting from "Optimal" (which is actually the safest/slowest setting!), to "Aggressive/Turbo" (try that first) or "Expert". Also, be sure you have changed the default setting for the "CPU Interface" field from "Optimal" to "Aggressive".

If you don't have the manual for your board, go here:

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...asp?Item=SN45G

The links for the manuals for each of the 3 board versions are at the bottom of that page. Hope this helps, and sorry if you've already tried all of this.

Actually, I flashed the FN45s00r.bin file (SN45) to my computer. I'm not sure if maybe I should have flashed the FN45us0j.bin file (SN45G V3). Do you know what the difference is? Also, I did not update my chipset or VGA drivers- do you think I should do that as well?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobmd

"unknown processor at 1150 MHz"

are you running a mobile?, ne way upgrade your bios to the latest version
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobmd

Actually, I flashed the FN45s00r.bin file (SN45) to my computer. I'm not sure if maybe I should have flashed the FN45us0j.bin file (SN45G V3). Do you know what the difference is? Also, I did not update my chipset or VGA drivers- do you think I should do that as well?

from a bios point of view make sure that you have the exact one required for your model - even 1 with a slight variation may have adverse effects
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

from a bios point of view make sure that you have the exact one required for your model - even 1 with a slight variation may have adverse effects

I actually contacted BIOS update and they told me I had the latest BIOS available. The reason why it keep saying "Unknown processor" I'm guessing is because my motherboard does not recognize the chip. It still works though. I finally got the problem fixed after downloading and installing the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top