Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have ordered a new system from newegg.com. It should be here tomorrow! My specs should be below. I have been building systems for years, but I never overclocked.

Any advice for my first time at overclocking? Do you all see any obvious bottlenecks, like my RAM? Should I start with the FBS or maybe the RAM? Once again, I did some reading, but I guess I am still a little confused.

I heard that this motherboard is picky about RAM, so I ordered the RAM that Gigabyte recommended for this particular board. Thanks in advance!

-Jason

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
yes, Value ram is going to be a bottleneck. and so will stock cooling. those are probably the major weaknesses (as well as a rosewill PSU). lol, sorry to burst your bubble.

however, you can probably get to 2.7 anyways. that's why we all love conroe.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
"Regular" DDR2 800 is fine. Its good up to a FSB of 400...and maybe a bit more if you get lucky. You have plenty of headroom.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
how much did you pay for it? and yeah, like he said if you aren't going to any super high FSBs, then ddr2-800 will be fine for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid $146.00 for the RAM. I just wanted to get what Gigabyte recommended because of the posts I read on Newegg about my motherboard being picky about RAM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal05
View Post

"Regular" DDR2 800 is fine. Its good up to a FSB of 400...and maybe a bit more if you get lucky. You have plenty of headroom.

Why is it only good up to a FSB of 400? Just trying to learn here.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
The DS3 is a great board, i have hit 3.7 using corsair ddr2 800, you should be able to get close to that without too many problems

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jthomas5150
View Post

I paid $146.00 for the RAM. I just wanted to get what Gigabyte recommended because of the posts I read on Newegg about my motherboard being picky about RAM.

Those are old reviews, the DS3 will boot with just about any voltage ram now. I ordered some 2.0V and dreaded it. When it got here it started up like "Oh I see 2.0V well thats all right then!"

Right now I'm right on 400FSB but have had it to 450FSB (
I have stock cooling) just to see it.

EDIT: What's the timings on that Kingston Value RAM? (Honestly calling $146 value...
)

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
highest i've pushed with my ram was 465fsb

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Someone had a E6300 @ 502 iirc.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrado
View Post

however, you can probably get to 3.7 anyways. that's why we all love conroe.

Are you kidding me? An E6400 has an 8x multi meaning he'd need to get that value RAM to 462FSB. It's not gonna happen. 3.2GHz however is very reasonable. 400x8 seems to be the sweetspot with Conroes before having to drop some money on really good components or give your rig lots of voltage.

Back on topic, your rig is good regardless. I'm actually gonna build a very similar rig for one of my friends so don't think you got something bad, you didn't. If you want to know what to upgrade next I'd first start with your cooling then your PSU. The DS3 is not picky with RAM, that's an issue with the DS4. Get yourself a serious HSF that can handle the heat of an overclocked CPU and then worry about the RAM. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic
View Post

Are you kidding me? An E6400 has an 8x multi meaning he'd need to get that value RAM to 462FSB. It's not gonna happen. 3.2GHz however is very reasonable. 400x8 seems to be the sweetspot with Conroes before having to drop some money on really good components or give your rig lots of voltage.

Back on topic, your rig is good regardless. I'm actually gonna build a very similar rig for one of my friends so don't think you got something bad, you didn't. If you want to know what to upgrade next I'd first start with your cooling then your PSU. The DS3 is not picky with RAM, that's an issue with the DS4. Get yourself a serious HSF that can handle the heat of an overclocked CPU and then worry about the RAM. Good luck.

sorry, i meant 2.7. typo and didn't read my post.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That value ram will most likley hit at least 430mhz. And thats not too bad of an OC. I still would RMA and get better ram for 35 bucks cheaper. I can't belive kingston actully sells value ram at that price...but I guess since its kingston they can do the same thing egg did to him and recomend it. I still would RMA it as he can get much better ram for alot less.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
get familiar with your bios, ctrl + f1 at the main screen will get you to ram timings in m.i.t.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts