Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here.
First of all I would like to apologize for eventual grammar mistakes as I'm not native english speaker and am still learning the language.

I've been playing fps games for over 17 years, but only recently started being interested in mices, dpi, sensors etc.
In this topic I would like to understand better mouse accel and specifically WHY the lack of it doesn't seem to fit my playing style.
In short, until recently I wasn't even aware that mouse acceleration "was a thing". I was simply plugging in some generic mouse, adjust the in game sens and be ready to go.
I've never switched to CS:GO from CS 1.6 because that game doesn't seem enough "dynamic" for me. Started with Quake, moved on to Half-Life 1.0 and went through the CS series up until 1.6.
Anyway, here is the problem I got with the lack of mouse accelarion...
Basically...it doesn't seem able to keep up with with the speed of my movements, or maybe, I don't know how to set up my mouse so that it responds how I would like it to be.
I'm a high sens player and like fast, abrupt shots left and right. With mouse acceleration enabled I was able, through small and fast movements to make my mouse turn around the way I wanted it to turn. Also, I had a better visual of the level and somehow a bigger spatial awareness. Right now, while turning left or right, in a way I feel lost. If I jump into a passage, to check the right side for an enemy, I'm 100% sure if there's someone on the left I'm dead. Without mouse accel it's physically fatiguing to turn the mouse left-right at 90°.
Ok, at this point I suppose you're thinking 2 things:

1) Why don't you increase your mouse sensitivity?
2) If you like mouse accel why don't you just go on with it, but ask for confirmation?

Well, I tried increasing the sensitivity but that didn't solve the problem as it just made the mouse uncontrollable. I was able to turn a little bit faster yes, but I just couldn't stop the mouse. With mouse accel ON I could make fast turn, but abrupt and fast stops as well. The mouse could somehow snap left or right, or stop at a precise point very fast.
Regarding the second point, yes, I'm thinking of going back playing with acceleration if I don't understand what am I doing wrong?

So please guys, I know there is no better place to ask this. Help me solve the mystery!

Why does it have to be so complicated? ; (

I remember back in the days we were just plugging in some generic mice and everything was just feeling right! Half-Life 1.0, Quake...these games felt right!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Play with acceleration, some people like it that way. Your best bet would be a mouse with a so-called flawless sensor, plus either povohat's "QL mouse accel driver" or in-game accel settings if you prefer it or cannot use the driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are going against years of habit so of course it will be hard. I was a high DPI player for a very long time and thought something like 800/1.5 in cs was impossible. Even 800 DPI on my desktop felt insanely slow. I couldn't use edge scrolling in dota because I couldn't get to the edges of the screen. And loads of people use 400. Now I'm comfortable with 800

You can just keep using accel if you want. There's at least one csgo pro who does, Edward on navi.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, the habit has nothing to do with it.
I would like to ask those who might be informed...when did mouse accel got introduced in fps games? Has it always been there, or did it just appear as a side-effect of the newest windows operative systems?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts