Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14mm.jpg

Quote:
Intel recently made changes to its netbook strategy to lure more people to its platforms. Intel will according to Digitimes work together with partners, most mentionable ASUS and Acer, to launch netbooks for less than 199 dollar in regions like the Middle East, Latin America and Eastern Europe.

These sub-$199 netbooks is planned to use the operating system MeeGo, which means it will do what it can do reduce costs. MeeGo doesn't have to be a disadvantage though, since it is a much more lightweight system than Windows 7 and comes with a simple interface and what most might use a netbook for. These netbooks are expected to launch in H2 2011.
Source: http://www.nordichardware.com/news/77-notebooks-mobility/42914-intel-changes-netbook-strategy.html

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
It more and more seems that Intel is purposely positioning themself at least 5 years away from providing proper HD graphics and performance on netbooks
Which means that they instantly lose in this market, and for ever

EDIT: Seems like Cedar Trail will be HD capable... FINALLY
But I doubt much will change in the overall platform i.e. processor performance
I'm sticking my hopes on AMD and their proper netbook platform, meanwhile.

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
The only case in which I'd consider buying a netbook is if it came with 2GB of RAM, an AMD C-50 APU, had a 1280x720 resolution, and a battery life of over 6 hours. Price would need to be below $350 as well. Only thing decent I've seen is the Acer Aspire AO522, and while it costs $320, upgrading it is a pain in the ass (you have to remove keyboard) and only accepts one DIMM.

Looks like netbooks are destined to always have horrible specs.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel;13147990
The only case in which I'd consider buying a netbook is if it came with 2GB of RAM, an AMD C-50 APU, had a 1280x720 resolution, and a battery life of over 6 hours. Price would need to be below $350 as well. Only thing decent I've seen is the Acer Aspire AO522, and while it costs $320, upgrading it is a pain in the ass (you have to remove keyboard) and only accepts one DIMM.

Check out the Lenovo x120e. It's so frickin awesome people argue whether it's really a netbook or an ultraportable.

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak;13148037
Check out the Lenovo x120e. It's so frickin awesome people argue whether it's really a netbook or an ultraportable.
My mom has one. It IS an excellent computer. However, I already have the laptop in my sig but I am looking at something that is very inexpensive, has good battery life, and a decent res. The x120e is too expensive considering you NEED to upgrade the APU to the E-350, and that costs $40. The C-50 is faster than the E-240. I'd get the Acer in a heartbeat if had 2GB of RAM while costing the same as it does now.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
When laptops start taking advantage of AMD Fusion motherboards, then I think we can see some great advances in notebooks.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealex132;13148153
When laptops start taking advantage of AMD Fusion motherboards, then I think we can see some great advances in notebooks.
...when Intel goes bankrupt, that will indeed happen
smile.gif

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker;13148186
...when Intel goes bankrupt, that will indeed happen
smile.gif
there are already some I think that do

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel;13148095
My mom has one. It IS an excellent computer. However, I already have the laptop in my sig but I am looking at something that is very inexpensive, has good battery life, and a decent res. The x120e is too expensive considering you NEED to upgrade the APU to the E-350, and that costs $40. The C-50 is faster than the E-240. I'd get the Acer in a heartbeat if had 2GB of RAM while costing the same as it does now.
Yeah the price does kind of suck. But the Acer isn't quite the same. It's got:

- lower resolution (there's a big difference between x768 and x720 because of dialog box sizes)
- small keyboard with flat keycaps
- no trackpoint
- by FAR cheaper construction
- slower CPU

And to be quite honest, if it's going to be a computer that you're going to do any sort of work on, I think that a full-size keyboard is a necessity.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
It seems impossible for Intel to go bankrupt right now but I do like AMD better. Fusion FTW. However, that netbook looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel;13147990

I have one and good thing that it has already 2 GB RAM built in.

Truly one of the best netbooks in it's price range.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
here's an idea, used ultra portable

for $300 I got:

Pentium Dual core ULV @1.3GHz
3GB RAM
Intel XTREME GRAPHICS
13" screen
up to 9.5 hour battery life.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
AMD's Fusion has blown Intel too much to dust for them to not react.

They're Intel, but they're not stupid by any means.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts