Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Intel's first processor architecture with an integrated GPU will launch next year by the name of Clarkdale. It is still uncertain how powerful the integrated graphics processor will be, but we expect a few improvements of the current chipset models. Not everything seems to point toward that though. It at least looks like Intel is becoming a bit more serious with the GPU performance with the launch of Clarkdale and it has now revealed that the circuit will support hardware acceleration of video decoding through its GPGPU support.

Intel revealed that the support for video decoding would appear in a future software update and would enable the graphics processor to assist the CPU when dealing with video material.

Clarkdale will sport a 32nm dual-core die acting as the CPU with 4MB cache and HyperThreading, along with the 45nm GPU. Exactly how useful the integrated graphics circuit will be for decoding video is an interesting question, but it's hard to say no to some extra power for heavy burdens like video decoding.
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,10380.html

Clarkdale will be out on Jan 2010

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good news from Intel is good news for both Mac and PC
Eventually I think when you have more than 8 core CPU what is the point to have a separate graphic card?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
Eventually I think when you have more than 8 core CPU what is the point to have a separate graphic card?
Possibly not as intel desktop CPUs are no good at Vector Processing?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveJMason
View Post

Possibly not as intel desktop CPUs are no good at Vector Processing?

So ive heard

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirehead
View Post

If I remember right Apple recently said they will not by using any of the new CPUs with integrate GPUs. It was in a news post just a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shnur View Post
Looks promising to actually have less things in a computer (laptops especially) since when you're going to do word processing... why have a GPU?
For those uses, this does nothing that current IGPs don't. But this should be a good alternative to Ion or an AMD laptop for a HD3200M or 4200M IGP.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
It better support HD decoding.... Intel is probably just going to adapt existing 4-series IGP into Clarkdale. Intel isn't good enough or willing to risk designing a new IGP and get software/driver support for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts