Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a Microcool Northpole chipset cooling from good ol' Santa.. because I decided to overvolt the northbridge on my NF7-S, because I'm stuck at 200MHz FSB right now..

Using this
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/content.php?content.12

I'm going to do it!

Of course I'm gonna have to lap it...

Anyone try it, or knows anyone that tried it? I don't want to do the soldering until I can get this to work.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

I'm going to get a Microcool Northpole chipset cooling from good ol' Santa.. because I decided to overvolt the northbridge on my NF7-S, because I'm stuck at 200MHz FSB right now..

Using this

I'm going to do it!

Anyone try it, or knows anyone that tried it? I don't want to do the soldering until I can get this to work.

Are you sure your ram isnt holding you @ 200fsb?? I've never seen a nf7-s that doesnt go over 200 stock.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Using this

I'm going to do it!

Whats your multi set at?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Using this

I'm going to do it!

BTW - Good luck, let us know how it works. I might try it.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Are you sure your ram isnt holding you @ 200fsb?? I've never seen a nf7-s that doesnt go over 200 stock.

I can run my ram at 233 perfectly, and I can just put a divider on. Also, I used to get to 216 FSB, but for some reason it doesnt work anymore.

Quote:

yeah the ram might be the prob also have you had a look at the thermalright chipset coolers???

I have had a look and this cooler, in tests, proves to be better.

Quote:

Whats your multi set at?

12.5X

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
just to let you know, be VERY careful, the mod can be quite hard for people that dont have practice with solder irons...I should know, 3 NF7's died from my feeble attempts to vmod, but of coarse im very clumsy so i knew it was comming. If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, i know of some pro's that will do it for a minimal fee (materials + shipping)
and you dont need to lap the NB, at least its not required, but still a good idea

·
Registered
271 Posts
You might have just reached the limit that your cpu will oc too. Not every unit is a superstar. 2.5ghz is not that bad of an oc either.

Also consider the fact that your ram might not be fully stable at 233mhz. Or that you damaged something when you had the chip at 216mhz.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother

You might have just reached the limit that your cpu will oc too. Not every unit is a superstar. 2.5ghz is not that bad of an oc either.

Also consider the fact that your ram might not be fully stable at 233mhz. Or that you damaged something when you had the chip at 216mhz.

the point of the vdd mod isto increase your FSB overclock. A fsb increase boosts performance even when running at same speeds as a lower fsb setup (240x10 vs. 200x12) and before you attempt the mod, it is probably a good idea to upgrade ram, name brand PC3500 preferably, as suggested above.

However, running at a high fsb would never damage a chip, you could run 600mhz fsb and it wouldnt hurt the northbridge as long as there is adaqute cooling. Running 216 is definatly nothing to worry about

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plague

just to let you know, be VERY careful, the mod can be quite hard for people that dont have practice with solder irons...I should know, 3 NF7's died from my feeble attempts to vmod, but of coarse im very clumsy so i knew it was comming. If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, i know of some pro's that will do it for a minimal fee (materials + shipping)
and you dont need to lap the NB, at least its not required, but still a good idea

Well I was going to do the pencil first, and see how that goes, and then maybe solder it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.