Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got myself the LanParty UTnF3 and oc it, I have increased the voltage to the northbridge to be able to achieve the speeds I have right now. I do not believe the stock heat sink is cutting the mustard, so I am thinking about adding another water block to my setup to cool down the chipset.

The question is, should I water cool it, or use an air/passive non-stock solution?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Depends on how hot its getting really.

its a lot of money to buy a NB water block (almost the same as a CPU one), so i'd say go with a reasonable CFM fan strapped to your existing heatsink.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Depends on how hot its getting really.

its a lot of money to buy a NB water block (almost the same as a CPU one), so i'd say go with a reasonable CFM fan strapped to your existing heatsink.

I was looking at the actual chip the other day and I'll say that a decent P1 heatsink and fan should do it. And I have a couple of those lying around.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow'puter

I was looking at the actual chip the other day and I'll say that a decent P1 heatsink and fan should do it. And I have a couple of those lying around.

Yeah i've always thought that water cooling the NB was a bit OTT (unless you was looking for a totaly silent PC), or taking the FSB to insane levels while phase change cooling the processor.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the watercooling system, there is no silent PC, with those 2 120mm fans going.

As for the NB, I just want to make sure I am not frying it. Plus I have found an article (the link is on DeathLock's sig, I think) where it is stated my processor can run 2.7Ghz. For that more cooling is needed. More cooling is not a bad thing, right?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow'puter

With the watercooling system, there is no silent PC, with those 2 120mm fans going.

As for the NB, I just want to make sure I am not frying it. Plus I have found an article (the link is on DeathLock's sig, I think) where it is stated my processor can run 2.7Ghz. For that more cooling is needed. More cooling is not a bad thing, right?

Can always use a water chiller, or drop the voltage to 5volts on the 120mm fans.

Makes for a pretty silent PC

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Watercooling is really not necessay on the NB. Just get something like this, and you should be fine. Northbridge waterblocks are very restrictive, which is not an ideal scenario. Furthermore, unless you are going for world speed records the chances of the NB holding back your oc are very slim.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Watercooling is really not necessay on the NB. Just get something like this, and you should be fine. Northbridge waterblocks are very restrictive, which is not an ideal scenario. Furthermore, unless you are going for world speed records the chances of the NB holding back your oc are very slim.

Lando, what do you think of the passive NB cooler on the DFI boards we've got?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Lando, what do you think of the passive NB cooler on the DFI boards we've got?

I don't. The first thing I did was slap a 40mm fan on there. Stays nice and cool now.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

I don't. The first thing I did was slap a 40mm fan on there. Stays nice and cool now.

What fan have you got on it? Generic or something like a delta?

I was a little dissapointed to see no NB fan header...at least i couldnt find one anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

What fan have you got on it? Generic or something like a delta?

I was a little dissapointed to see no NB fan header...at least i couldnt find one anyway.

Just a generic 40mm fan. It really helps quite a bit. There is a fan header right by the NB, called "2nd Fan". I just plugged it into that.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Just a generic 40mm fan. It really helps quite a bit. There is a fan header right by the NB, called "2nd Fan". I just plugged it into that.

...hmm might be what i'm using for one of my case fans. Wonder if i can trail 2 fans off 1 fan header...

·
Registered
965 Posts
heh

I have a dual 80mm video card cooler, and just having that on the video card, and blowing across it hitting the MB, drops temps 10c on the mobo at load

40c to 30c

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

...hmm might be what i'm using for one of my case fans. Wonder if i can trail 2 fans off 1 fan header...

I really wouldnt do that. The mobo headers are designed for a very small amount of amperage, and one fan in the max. Plus, you would be taking more current away from your motherboard. I would plug the nb fan into the mobo and the others into the psu.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Ok, I don't have CFM stats on this little bugger but since it is at least active cooling should I still be planning on swapping it out when I upgrade my PSU and start pushing the voltage more? I apologize for the vague-ness of the question but since I can't get you stats I'm kind of stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
You should be just fine. As long as you have some kind of active cooling, you should be good to go. However, Abit does a horrible job with the thermal paste on the NB. You might want to clean that up and use some AS5.

Oh, and it runs at about 5500rpm at full speed IIRC.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bindusar

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

You should be just fine. As long as you have some kind of active cooling, you should be good to go. However, Abit does a horrible job with the thermal paste on the NB. You might want to clean that up and use some AS5.

Oh, and it runs at about 5500rpm at full speed IIRC.

Cool, and thanks for the AS5 tip...I should have been able to guess that one by now. I'll make sure to do it when I get my 120mm for my Aerocool.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i got the swifttech nb cooler and its great nice copper heatsink, aluminum helicoid fins, and a fan on top. you cant beat that. water blocks i believe arent necessary there restrictive are a bit more expensive like some1 said before me and at the same time add heat to water thats already warm and you dont want to disturb your cpu cooling potential with a nb water block.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts