Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searches but couldn't find anything specifically addressing this -- I hope this isn't too much of a n00b question.

I have a 2.26 GHz Northwood that I can easily oc, and heat, not stability, is my current limiting factor. So I'm basically trying to figure out how high I can go. I've seen several different temps given as a "don't let it go over" temp. But it seems like maybe Northwoods are special?

The reason I ask is because some posts just say, "keep Intel temps under 60". Others say, "under 55 for Northwoods, under 65 for Pressy's". Finally, there's a data sheet I found online that shows that my specific chip breaks down at about 72, and suggests that a 5 degree margin of safety should be ok (which would be 67).

I'm guessing there's probably no definitive answer and it just boils down to how much risk you want to take, but is there an accepted rule of thumb that people around here follow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by z_one

Most people would tell you that the temp on your Northy should not exceed 55C and that 1.7V is the max safe core voltage.

Ok, thanks. I'm oc'ing with stock cooling right now and taking the FSB up to my memory speed has pushed my full load temps to 58C. My current case won't fit my Big Typhoon so maybe I'll back it down a bit until I get my new case and then give it another go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I would say keep it under 60-65C and you'll be fine. The Big Typhoon rocks though, I had one on my 2.6C and was able to run it steady at 3.4 b/c the BT kept it around 50C full load. Now I'm watercooled pushing 3.51 stably


As for voltage, you should be able to do a .2V bump and be fine. I wouldnt really want to hit .3V if you can't help it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
No way, keep Northwoods below 50C if you want that chip to live for very long. Going over 50 is a good way to be a victim of Northwood sudden death syndrome. (I am not making that up)
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: dfscott

·
Administrator
Joined
·
64,462 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

No way, keep Northwoods below 50C if you want that chip to live for very long. Going over 50 is a good way to be a victim of Northwood sudden death syndrome. (I am not making that up)

Funny you say this..i have had a few mates with northwoods and ive had to sort out there colling because they were reaching 50 deg easily and nothing happend to theres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
I'd say 45C is a good limit...works in your magrin or error easily.

Also, get a BT, and save yourself your cooling worries in the future. Voltage, not heat has become my limiting factor...Northwoods Rule!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
I'm running my 2.4GhZ Northy at...2.4! Under load it goes up to just over 50, and at idle in about 43. I'm getting an XP-90 with a 92mm panaflo next week! That should help me out. I think staying under 55 load is your best bet, and idle try your best to stay under 50!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm... well maybe I better go back down to stock speeds. With my current oc, I'm hitting around 53-54 during folding (which is 24/7 for me) and up to 58 under load. It'll probably be at least 5 months before I can afford a new case that will fit my Big Typhoon (since I blew all my disposable income on a Big Typhoon and a replacement mobo) so maybe at that point I can oc it up a bit.

I think it's interesting that everyone's talking about bumping the voltage -- I was able to oc as high as 3.2 w/o changing any of the voltages. But ofc the heat was so bad that I couldn't leave it there.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Kopi

I think staying under 55 load is your best bet, and idle try your best to stay under 50!

Under 50 for idle? Did you mean under 30? 50 seems awfully hot for idle -- I'm currently idling at 29.
 

·
Packet Pusher
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
The junk rig in my sig runs at 39C idle and 60C full load at 2.97 with 1.7v to the core (so close to 3, but the mobo is maxxed out). That's on stock cooling in a crap case. All I chaged was my paste from stock to AS Ceramique. It's been running like this for 4 months now with no issues or instability.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
So when you boot your computer and look at your desktop with nothing running you are hitting 29C, but when you play a game you are pushig over 60? Thats really weird. When I'm just chilling, its at about 43C. When In game, its about 55C. Mobo is usually around 29C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kopi

So when you boot your computer and look at your desktop with nothing running you are hitting 29C, but when you play a game you are pushig over 60? Thats really weird. When I'm just chilling, its at about 43C. When In game, its about 55C. Mobo is usually around 29C

Pretty close -- actually, since I upgraded my mobo, I'm down to 58 at full load (either Prime95 or 3D gaming). I'll double check it tonight and post my speedfan shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, must've been a bit chilly when I ran my last tests because they look a little higher.

Idle:



Load:



Now I'm really nervous about those temps so I'm going to drop back on the overclock (and maybe put the 5:4 divider back) and see if I can cool things off a bit until new case time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
time for a fan duct until new case arrives. Attach it to a free air inlet (fan or no fan) and connect it to the top of your cpu...and TADA! 10C drop just like that!

It should cool your cpu almost 10C or more...and get some AS5 whilst you're at it...take another 5C or so...mmm mmm cold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by tomasro

time for a fan duct until new case arrives. Attach it to a free air inlet (fan or no fan) and connect it to the top of your cpu...and TADA! 10C drop just like that!

Hmm... nice idea, but I have a mid-Tower that's pretty tight (part of the reason I'm wanting a new case). There's only one intake in the front -- are you suggesting to duct that all the way to the CPU and let the rest of the equipment get cooled by the CPU cooler exhaust? Are there any non-standard ways to duct in air (e.g., maybe through one of the 5-1/4 bays)?

Quote:


Originally Posted by tomasro

and get some AS5 whilst you're at it...take another 5C or so...mmm mmm cold


I'm not using thermal paste -- I'm using what I call "fake" AS5 right now (it looks like AS5 -- silver stuff in a syringe -- but I got it from a discount computer store so I'm betting it's not the same). Do you think I could really get 5C out of switching to "real" AS5?

BTW, I've dropped my FSB oc to 144 -- this gives me 2.44GHz and lets me run at around 55C at full load and 48C when folding (and knocked about 7% off my 3DMark score
but at least I feel safer now).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Uner 50*C for any processor is perfect.

However, the max warranty temp. for a Northwood is 55*C with 1.7V warranty max volt.

EDIT: Sorry to see that you had to drop FSB, mate. Getting AS5 is the best. You won't regret it. The "real" AS5 (lol @ "real") will definitely improve your temperature. It takes, according to many out there, 200 hours to cure. However, I've never seen it take 200 hours to cure because I saw no difference after 200 hours of "curing".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
well, if you are limited on intake holes...perhaps fabricate a 120mm exhaust at the top of the case (so the chipset and all that can vent) and use the rear as an intake for the cpu instead of the case exhaust...just an idea.

a cooler you might use if a thermaltake volcano (whatever fits the s478) and just duct straight to the cpu. I really wanted to do that, but my Big Typhoon is a might bit big for my mid tower case as well.

I've also thought of selling my Big Typhoon and getting a Tower 112 (all copper, horizontal air flow) and hooking the inlet or exhaust directly in-line with it. Cooling is fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
AS5 dropped my cpu temp 10-12 degrees right of the bat, no curing... i am hopping some curing will make it better


but yes, the "REAL" AS5 makes a great great difference.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top