Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overclocky

Can I run that processor with that ram at its normal speed (3ghz)?

what do you mean? if you post some specs, i can help out more...

not to sound insulting, my mind just doesent understand what youre asking

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

what do you mean? if you post some specs, i can help out more...

not to sound insulting, my mind just doesent understand what youre asking

I want to know if my Northwood 3ghz ht can run with pc2100 ram?
I am getting a new motherboard ($100 or less) cuz my sy-p4vgm can only run at 533 fsb. The new motherboard will run at 800fsb so that I can run my processor at 3ghz and not 2 since of my crappy mobo which supports only 533. Would my ram be compatible with running at 800fsb. It is pc2100.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
ehh. prolly will... wait for NoAffinity to come on, he's the god of memory... he'll clear things up a bit, i'm not too sure. he'll help out w/ it
Quote:

I am getting a new motherboard ($100 or less) cuz my sy-p4vgm can only run at 533 fsb. The new motherboard will run at 800fsb so that I can run my processor at 3ghz and not 2 since of my crappy mobo which supports only 533. Would my ram be compatible with running at 800fsb. It is pc2100.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I don't know about Pentium 4's, but If its got a 200mhz FSB, The ram will run fine with it, but you won't have much of an overclocking potential.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Yes, you can run your PC2100 memory with the 800Mhz FSB CPU as long as the board supports PC2100. Your memory will run at 133Mhz (DDR266) and the CPU will run at 200Mhz (quad pumped to 800Mhz). Running both of these together will give you a 3:2 ratio. Running the PC2100 is going to your performance.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
:withstupi and like shawn said, your OC'ing is going to be limited by the RAM. You will be at the lowest available divider (3:2, as archer pointed out), and once the RAM reaches its limit, you won't have the potential to drop it down any lower.

To answer the question, tho, yes it will work if the mobo supports both (which, if it supports an 800 mhz FSB CPU, then it should by all means support PC2100 too). What mobo are you considering?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

:withstupi and like shawn said, your OC'ing is going to be limited by the RAM. You will be at the lowest available divider (3:2, as archer pointed out), and once the RAM reaches its limit, you won't have the potential to drop it down any lower.

To answer the question, tho, yes it will work if the mobo supports both (which, if it supports an 800 mhz FSB CPU, then it should by all means support PC2100 too). What mobo are you considering?

I don't know yet but I'm getting one for Christmas. I want it to be $100 or less since I want to buy some other things as well. Maybe you can point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Check out Abit IS7 or AI7, or Asus P4P800-E (or Deluxe). They should all be right around the $100 region (the Asus's may be a little higher...but then that will make your decision easier
).

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
I ordered the AI7 today, excellent board. go for it, its pressy ready, and has a load of features...check out the abit website for the full details @ Abit-usa.com
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Check out Abit IS7 or AI7, or Asus P4P800-E (or Deluxe). They should all be right around the $100 region (the Asus's may be a little higher...but then that will make your decision easier
).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts