Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a new HD,it's a seagate SATA 200Gb 8Mb cache.
I've installed it and all,but after sending all my files from the 80Gb using Norton Ghost,I unplugged it and nothing worked.I think its beacause it is not the System HD(its not C: )
So how do I change it to D: and make the SATA one the C: ?
Help please.
Rep for those who helped

·
Registered
930 Posts
i dont think norton ghost can copy the boot sector, also, windows needs serial ata drivers to boot from the drive.

pop ur windows xp disk into the cd rom, then see if it recognizes ur hd, if it dosent, put ur motherboard raid drivers into the floppy and install them.

after that, run recovery console, and type in fixboot.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheRipper

I finally got a new HD,it's a seagate SATA 200Gb 8Mb cache.
I've installed it and all,but after sending all my files from the 80Gb using Norton Ghost,I unplugged it and nothing worked.I think its beacause it is not the System HD(its not C: )
So how do I change it to D: and make the SATA one the C: ?
Help please.
Rep for those who helped

When you copied the partitions, did you copy the MBR from the original hard disk?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope I didnt use the Copy MBR option,I'm going to retry it tonight and I'll write back if it dosent work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What options do I have to select to make it the System drive?
Rep to RunningRiot and mfillpot

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reformated the 200gb again and started ghost copied from one disk to the other ( with MBR checked ) .
Closed windows,unplugged the other drive.
Resarted the computer.
Windows booted like normal,except that once I got to the select session screen It froze.
*EDIT* I found the reason!There was an error, the disk was in use and it couldnt copy the file over I guess.I restart again and if it dosent work ill get it to a Tech loll.
Now I dont really know what to do

And again thanks for your help I really appreciate

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheRipper

I reformated the 200gb again and started ghost copied from one disk to the other ( with MBR checked ) .
Closed windows,unplugged the other drive.
Resarted the computer.
Windows booted like normal,except that once I got to the select session screen It froze.
*EDIT* I found the reason!There was an error, the disk was in use and it couldnt copy the file over I guess.I restart again and if it dosent work ill get it to a Tech loll.
Now I dont really know what to do

And again thanks for your help I really appreciate

use safe mode

or dosetn ghost have a boot mode? where it boots into a ghost dos program?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
safe mode dosent work...
and I cant reinstall windows cuz it dosent recognize the HD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts