Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time deciding between the two. The choices are Norton Security Deluxe or Emsisoft Internet Security.

Reason for those two is because I want a Firewall built into it.

I'll be running it with CryptoPrevent, MBAM, and MBAE.

EDIT; I don't really want other recommendations since I've already narrowed it down to two, but I'm still undecided on which.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Never heard of Emsisoft, but it can't be much worse than Norton
redface.gif

Comodo is another, free option. Ive used it for years and havent found anything I like as much, though its not without faults.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post

Never heard of Emsisoft, but it can't be much worse than Norton
redface.gif

Comodo is another, free option. Ive used it for years and havent found anything I like as much, though its not without faults.
Emsisoft is being praised at the BleepingComputer forum but I'd like to get the opinion of OCN'ers.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster159 View Post

Emsisoft is being praised at the BleepingComputer forum but I'd like to get the opinion of OCN'ers.
OCN doesn't seem to be the best place for this kind of advice. I still have bad memories of this forum recommending Microsoft security essentials even after MANY months of completely failed tests.

You can check test sites such as these:

https://www.av-test.org/en/

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Quote:

Behavior blocker, good protection and performance...sounds very good but nothing compelling enough to purchase when several comparable and even (seemingly) superior suites are available for free like Quihoo which seems to have more features... Then there's even the option of running say Avira or Bitdefender etc with A 3rd party firewall.
2cents.gif

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciii View Post

Quote:
with CryptoPrevent, MBAM, and MBAE.
A bit overkill, no?
Running more than one AV program can cause problems and slow down your PC.

Emsisoft sounds like the better option over Norton especially if you are running it with those programs.
CryptoPrevent, MBAM, and MBAE are not AV programs as they supplement and not replace AV's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Quote:

OCN doesn't seem to be the best place for this kind of advice. I still have bad memories of this forum recommending Microsoft security essentials even after MANY months of completely failed tests.

You can check test sites such as these:

https://www.av-test.org/en/

http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Indeed... Some people on here even recommend not have any AV's at all!

On tests Emsisoft seems to always score high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post

Quote:

Behavior blocker, good protection and performance...sounds very good but nothing compelling enough to purchase when several comparable and even (seemingly) superior suites are available for free like Quihoo which seems to have more features... Then there's even the option of running say Avira or Bitdefender etc with A 3rd party firewall.
2cents.gif
Emsisoft uses some Bitdefender parts with their own and that results in Emsisoft generally being better than BitDefendfer. Atleast that's what research and posts from The BleepingComputer have done.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

If i were to choose between those two, I'd probably choose emsisoft, but thats purely because of past experience of Norton. TBH I have to agree with the others here, and say the is better for free.
Alright thanks.

Anybody else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts