Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, but belong to several others but a lot of people refer to this one so I thought I would join.

The memory I have (see sig) I had it at DDR600 but could not get it stable.

Ext clock 300/66/33
x8 Mulitplier factor
AGP Fixed 66mhz
DDR V 2.80
DRAM CLOCK DDR400
LDT x3
which took my Super PI to 34/1.21

Core Speed 2400.2
Multiplier x8
HTT 300.0 MHZ
Timings:
Frequency 240.0 MHZ
FSB
RAM CPU/8
3,4,4,8 2t (Bank cycle 11 Clocks trc)
Dram Idle timer 16 clocks

I now have it at backed it off to 250/66/33 x10 1.525v 2.5,3,3,7 1t LDTx4 wasn't stable for more than 30 minutes.

I then raised my Vcore 1.6v, DDR 2.8v, SB 2.6v, NB 1.65v, HTT 1.35v and was stable for 17hours and 49 minutes before erroring out?. How stable would you say this actually is I know it isn't 100% cause it did still error out. Is there anything I should try as far as my timings go? Or should I back of the Memory a little and try for higher CPU clock? I know the Clawhammer isn't the best for OC. But since I Am getting ready to order my new rig I thought I would mess around a little to see what this thing could really do...

Also my new rig consists of thes items but can't decide on a Mobo yet so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on that as well...

Antec LifeStyle Sonata II Piano Black Steel ATX MID Tower
AMD Opteron 175 Denmark Dual Core CPU
2x Western Digital Caviar 250gb HDs
ATI RADEON X1800 XT 512MB PCIE (crossfire ready)
ATI RADEON X1800 XT 512MB PCIE (crossfire edition)
Lite-On DVD Player Lite-On DVD RAM RW (new even writes DVD RAM style) 4x512 DDR600 PC4800 Patriot memory
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 8

***will probably have to get a higher rated PSU any suggestions since I will be running dual crossfire cards? As well I have heard that ATI Southbridge is no good that I should go with ULI Southbridge but ATI Northbridge was ok...any suggestions here....

Thanks in advance for anyone giving input and trying to help!!!

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
PC Power & Cooling make awesome units. Underclocking the RAM usually brings some stability at extreme OC--upping the Vcore a bit might help (or hurt...see sig) Sometimes cooling the RAM with a fan and keeping the mobo as cool as possible can help...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By underclocking you mean in bios setting it to DDR333? What about the 2t and 1t? I know it would boot at settings DDR400 3,4,4,8 2t (not at 1t wouldn't boot) and having it at 300/66/33 (ddr600). What is the safest Vcore for the Clawhammer 4000+ my temps are still ok cause even at 1.6v I was at 31c idle and under extreme stress from Prime95 highest it reached was 44c.

***edit*** also have the side case off right now with those temps so probably could add +3c to +5c with the side on...

Also another person on other site suggested taking Vcore down to 1.55v stock is 1.5 but since I am really not OC the CPU much he said the higher V might cause instability...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i would say that if ur memory can handle it...to pump a bit more voltage in like say 2.9v and then try it first with the current timings....if everything works well go and adjust it back to the original timings (which only lasted for 20minutes)...see if that helps...

another thing, i think u should reset the trc timing to maybe 10clock cycles because in my experience this sometimes helps also do u have the option for the trd clock cycle setting? let us know

as for ur mobo suggestion, try the following,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186055

btw, as cyberdruid mentioned underclocking the ram can give u more stability but at the expense of having to oc ur cpu...i think u should try to go on and oc the ram by upping the voltage and if that doesnt work...then try to underclock at standard volts....after all the idea is to bring out the best at the best performance right?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Run it on 2t and you should be good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should of mentioned that I have the board maxed out on DDR voltage...

Trd clock cycling pretty sure I have seen that in the bios...

In CPU-Z shows
Trc is set at 11 default
Dram Idle timer at 16
Trdram and Trcd (both greyed out)

As far as that Mobo goes wouldn't work I am going with the crossfire edition video cards and that is an Nforce4 board, Cossfire edition video cards can't utilize SLI. Other down fall is it only has one regular PCI slot. Must be a crossfire ready board (not SLI) to utilize the dual video card...Thanks though...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
in that case and if u have seen the trd option...go into ur bios and edit the trd to a lower setting meaning if u have 8 cycles then adjust it to 9 or 10...then reset the timings of ur ram at the rates u want and go from there....i think the u should be able to see improvement in stability from there....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK in bios these are the options I have under the Ram options and what they are set to now....

DRAM CLOCK--DDR400
CAS LATENCY--2.5
Row Cycle Time--11
Row Refresh--13
Ras to Cas--3
Ras to Ras--2
Min Ras Activity--7
Ras Precharge--3
Write Recovery--3
Write to Read--2
Read to Write--3
Dram Command Rate--1t
Burst Length--4
Bank Interleaving--Enabled
32 bit Dram Memory Hole--Auto
Bottom of 32-bit [31:24] IO--C0
MTRR Mapping--Continuous

***Also*** what is the HT stop Tristate--Driven
heard that if mother board limits Voltage to DDR that this could be switched to Tristate but I know nothing about what this actually does....

As well these are the timings that are recommend by Patriot memory for the memory which I have...I also have another set of the same memory coming so I will soon have 2 gigs of the same memory 4x512...

memory is rated as DDR400 @ 2,2,2,5 @ 2.6-2.7v DDR433 2,3,3,6 2.6-2.7 466 2,3,3,6 2.7-2.8 DDR500 2.5,3,3,7 2.75-2.85 DDR533 3,4,4,8 2.75-2.85

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
suggest u do the following;

DRAM CLOCK--DDR400
CAS LATENCY--2.5
Row Cycle Time--10
Row Refresh--11/12
Ras to Cas--3
Ras to Ras--2
Min Ras Activity--9
Ras Precharge--2
Write Recovery--3
Write to Read--2
Read to Write--2
Dram Command Rate--2t
Burst Length--4
Bank Interleaving--Enabled
32 bit Dram Memory Hole--Auto
Bottom of 32-bit [31:24] IO--C0
MTRR Mapping--Continuous

as for the ht thingy sorry i couldnt be of help on that....dont know squat about that....

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A Command of 2t will do very little to reduce your performance but improve stability!
The benchmark tests with 1T vs 2T don't reflect real world apps... you will only lose a few % with 2T.

BTW... HI and WELCOME to the Forum

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brad62249

As well these are the timings that are recommend by Patriot memory for the memory which I have...I also have another set of the same memory coming so I will soon have 2 gigs of the same memory 4x512...

4 sticks will hamper your overclocking.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

A Command of 2t will do very little to reduce your performance but improve stability!
The benchmark tests with 1T vs 2T don't reflect real world apps... you will only lose a few % with 2T.

BTW... HI and WELCOME to the Forum

agree completely....reason why we propose you to go down to 2t and fool around with timing....what u lose in commands u will likely gain in timings....

and yeah i forgot welcome....

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
The best crosssfire motherboard at the moment would have to be the ASUS A8R-MVP..here.
You can check out a test & review..here.

The new chipsets are dur out from ATI later but would not hold my breath waiting for the motherboards to show.
You are correct in stating that the ATI southbridge has some issues and that the ULi is the southbridge chip to have.

cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Duke...

Anyway those settings in the bios were a no go....just gave me a siren at reboot...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xie67

The best crosssfire motherboard at the moment would have to be the ASUS A8R-MVP..here.
You can check out a test & review..here.

The new chipsets are dur out from ATI later but would not hold my breath waiting for the motherboards to show.
You are correct in stating that the ATI southbridge has some issues and that the ULi is the southbridge chip to have.

cheers

I have heard the the ATI southbridge has some SATA / raid problems to where the ULI is better for that...That is really the only down fall and a pretty major flaw if you ask me...Yes I have heard they are supposed to be coming out with newer chipsets as well as more manufacturers of MOBO, offering the crossfire..I will probably wait another month or 2 before ordering to see more reviews and newer revisions...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am running prime95 now been running again since around 8p.m. central time last night. I set the 1t to 2t to see if it out lasts the last prime95 run of over 17 hours. Any other ideas on the timings?

Also had a question on the build I am planning on in a couple weeks. Should I go with memory which is higher than DDR400 would I get a better performing, OC using memory which is stock DDR600? As well would it be better to go with 2 gigs 2x1gig over the 4x512?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also wondering in the Ram options of the Bios if I were to lower the speed of the ram from ddr400 down to ddr333 or ddr266 will I be able to tighten the timings or at least be more stable....I understand it really doesn't matter what you set it to as the AMD64s control the memory on the chip themselves versus the mobo controling it like on the old Athlons....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wondering as well when I run Prime95 it is stable for 17+ hours but when I go to actually run Prime95 to try and calculate prime numbers it keeps erroring out and saying it will retry in 5 minutes it might run for 30 minutes then errors out then starts back up and runs for abit then errors again and so on... What does this mean that even though the torture tests show that I am pretty stable (but not 100%) that I am not stable enough to run the tests or does this mean something else?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Think I have finally come to the conclusion that the CPU that is hendering any O/C that I am trying to do even though I can run the memory at DDR600 and play games with no problems as well as normall tasks it errors out with 30 minutes with Prime95 as well as DDR533 after about the same time and on DDR500 about 17 hours and DDR466 19 hours as well as DDR436..

So I decided to start over and reset everything in the bios and leave my multi x12 alone and do small increases of the FSB (ext) highest I could get 210x12 to run a couple hours of gaming and then the system would lock up... Which I guess in all honesty doesn't surprise me as as I knew before trying that the "CLAWHAMMER" is not a good O/Cer.....

I am getting ready to get my new system in a couple weeks just waiting until a couple more manufacturers come out with the newer ATI chipsets since I am going to go with a Crossfire setup with dual x1800 cards....I have heard that the ATI NB chipset is good but the ATI SB causes some conflicts but also hears that ULI SB with ATI NB is a good combination.

As well as not set on the OPTY 175 yet but leaning very much towards that CPU since I have been reading a lot of good reviews on them on how well they O/C.....Not to worried about waiting until the newer AMD cpu come out later this year as I will probably wait a year until next year and go with that after they have been out 6months or better...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts