Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've power-cycled my modem & router, disconnected/reconnected the coax & all of that but I still don't get my stated upload speed from Charter, which is 3Mbps. My down speeds are around 25Mbps, with low ping ~15 m/s, & no packet loss according to Speedtest.net. Using the "Your upload speeds are 1/8th of your download speeds" rule, I should get 3.125 Mbps. but it maxes out at around .99Mbps. I've called Charter & chatted with their online techs, but they tell me the same crap over & over. "Power cycle your modem.", "Restart your computer." They want to send someone out but they'll charge.

What should I do? Oh yeah, I have tried connecting directly to the modem but that doesn't remedy the problem either. My 25Mbps up/3Mbps down plan costs $45 a month.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
There is no 1/8 rule, the cap is whatever is implemented.
What does it say specifically for your bandwidth package?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think Charter implements a cap. The Charter page states that residential customers on the Plus package(me) have a 250GB of bandwith monthly cap, but I don't hear about it being enforced much.

·
ZFS
4,084 Posts
You'll never get the speed you pay for unless you have FIOS. It's "up to" 3mb upload.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox83381;15208693
You'll never get the speed you pay for unless you have FIOS. It's "up to" 3mb upload.
But Georgia is too back asswards, we'll never get FIOS!

·
Registered
795 Posts
You could try to demand them to run a new cable line and to make sure it goes directly to your modem and not through any kind of splitter device. I know brighthouse where I live will do this for free but I'm not sure about your ISP.

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some Ambit U10C018.80 modem that Charter provided me with. I'm going to assume that it's extremely crappy. Supposedly though, it's "compatible" with my speeds.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7-OC;15208617
I don't think Charter implements a cap. The Charter page states that residential customers on the Plus package(me) have a 250GB of bandwith monthly cap, but I don't hear about it being enforced much.
Bandwidth cap != Speed cap

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
25Mbits down, 3Mbits up is what is stated for my package.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7-OC;15209003
25Mbits up, 3Mbits down is what is stated for my package.
When i had my Charter supplied modem, i had it replaced 4 times in 6 months. It would pull the speeds i was supposed to get, but then within a few months it would slow way down to about 4/.2 and i kept getting speedtest errors. Once they replaced it, problems were solved for another few months.

If i was you, i'd buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and at least try it. If it makes a difference in speeds, then keep it. If you're still having problems, then it may be the cable line into your house and you can just return the modem to where you bought it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had splitters outside changed, & I've gone through at least 3 modems. All of them crappy Ambit models, although I don't go through them as fast as you do, 4 times in 6 months? That's outrageous! I do get my download speeds, but never upload so I guess it's worth a try.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yep, its the "up to" that lets them get away with whatever speeds they feel like giving. I have ATT and its the same thing. My package is "up to 18 down, 3 up" but it is never quite that high, especially on the upload speed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I had Verizon FiOS, 25 down & 25 up.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ambit_u10C018_black__58737_zoom.jpg

Yeah cuz this is the one i had. Absolutely terrible reliability..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts