Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vertex 2 120GB 3.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.7 CFM 120mm Fans
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: HP 447328-B21 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)

All my games crash when OC'ed with Afterburner at anything past 1000mhz/1400mhz. Even with this minimal OC I am noticing FPS lag in Borderlands 2 and BF3. I can get Unigine Heaven to run at 1100mhz/1500mhz but my scores are disappointing . 3DMark11 can run all the way up to the last benchmark and then my computer crashes. Do I have a bad card? Please advise.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You're not unhappy with your vapor-x. You just didnt win the silicon lottery. You cant blame that on the card or the manufacturer.

Whats the voltage?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpinheimer View Post

You're not unhappy with your vapor-x. You just didnt win the silicon lottery. You cant blame that on the card or the manufacturer.

Whats the voltage?
1.25v with the memory voltage at 1.6

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same card and also use afterburner, i found out through trial and error that OSD was the cause of instability for me.
BF3 and 3Dmark 11 would both crash while it was running, worth a try.

·
Premium Member
20,311 Posts
do you use 1600X900 to play your games? not sure about BL2 but i play bf3 MP using 1080 Ultra and 4MSAA with my 7950 at stock. My i7 is oc'ed, though, to 4.5. my minimum does not go down 60fps. except for metro, i play my games with the gpu stock.

i did get 51 for valley with a lot of volts - 1.3v/1.67v.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzertink View Post

I have the same card and also use afterburner, i found out through trial and error that OSD was the cause of instability for me.
BF3 and 3Dmark 11 would both crash while it was running, worth a try.
Having OSD on or off hasn't show a difference for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glina View Post

is 1.25V your stock voltage?
No, I have it set at 1.25v but just noticed gpu-z is showing it at 0.8????
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

do you use 1600X900 to play your games? not sure about BL2 but i play bf3 MP using 1080 Ultra and 4MSAA with my 7950 at stock. My i7 is oc'ed, though, to 4.5. my minimum does not go down 60fps. except for metro, i play my games with the gpu stock.

i did get 51 for valley with a lot of volts - 1.3v/1.67v.
biggrin.gif
Yes, 1600x900 is the max for my monitor. I may OC my cpu to 4.5 though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oh ok I see.

First of all - did you increase the power limit to +20%?
Second - which BIOS do you run ? The vapor-x has a switch on the pcb. The boost ios (blue LED on) is voltage locked. The other bios is not.
and third - do not go to 1.25V straight away. Work your way in small steps. Disable overdrive in Catalyst, reset the setting in Trixx, increase power limit to +20 and find your max core oc with this. Do not touch the memory clocks just yet. From that point increase the voltage in 25mV steps and OC. Typically each step will allow you ~25MHz more but this may vary.

Always monitor your temperatures in GPU-Z under load. In idle the card indeed runs 0.8V so this is allright.
Be careful with VRM temperatures - they increase a lot with increased core voltage.

You can use Furmark to quickly check for throttling and maximum temps. VRM temps of 100C in Furmark mean you will get ~85C peak in gaming and this is a good moment to stop overvolting any further.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Oh ok I see.

Second - which BIOS do you run ? The vapor-x has a switch on the pcb. The boost ios (blue LED on) is voltage locked. The other bios is not.
and third - do not go to 1.25V straight away. Work your way in small steps. Disable overdrive in Catalyst, reset the setting in Trixx, increase power limit to +20 and find your max core oc with this. Do not touch the memory clocks just yet. From that point increase the voltage in 25mV steps and OC. Typically each step will allow you ~25MHz more but this may vary.

Always monitor your temperatures in GPU-Z under load. In idle the card indeed runs 0.8V so this is allright.
Be careful with VRM temperatures - they increase a lot with increased core voltage.

You can use Furmark to quickly check for throttling and maximum temps. VRM temps of 100C in Furmark mean you will get ~85C peak in gaming and this is a good moment to stop overvolting any further.
Yes, I had the power limit up to +20% when I was trying for 1100/1500. I am currently running with the boost IOS and didn't know it's voltage locked, thanks for that info. What's bothering me is that I'm getting such bad benchmarks with stock clock speeds and voltage..I feel like I shouldn't have to OC to get good numbers. But suffice, I'll try the following out when I get home tonight and let you know. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
322 Posts
your 7950 gets 1100 score on heaven and my 7970 ghz at 1140MHz bearly breaks 900 score LOL wth is going on here. I'd take that 7950 over the card I have.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Oh ok I see.

Well, I was able to bring it up 1100/1500 with 1.15v playing Crysis 3, and haven't taken it any further yet. Temps look good and I think I got a bit ahead of myself by pushing the voltage a bit too much without verifying the stability of the core and memory clocks. Also brought my CPU to 4.3 so I don't know if that helped a bit. Trixx allows to change the voltage but doesn't keep the setting for long, are you experiencing this also? It seems afterburner allows the voltage to cap at your discretion and goes to the stock 0.8v at idle. I'm going to keep OCing and run more benchmarks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts